They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Richard,
Great to see you at this again and even better from the beginning!!! Top drawer work Sir...As usual!!!
Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard,
Great to see you at this again and even better from the beginning!!! Top drawer work Sir...As usual!!!
Prost
Allen

I've got to keep you company...you and your V-2, me and my Peleliu. :smiling3:

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Can't wait to see more... by the way are you doing some water.?

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Richard, good to see you here too and top work on the Amtrac.:thumb2:
Total admiration for your patience building this dio esp. the track work.

Fernando

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard
Great to see you have brought this masterpiece over to here. It was nice to have another look back at your stunning work
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys...my usual 7 hours behind time replies or is it ahead? :smiling6:

Can't wait to see more... by the way are you doing some water.?

Gregory, unfortunately no. This would be further inland just before the airfield.

Hi Richard, good to see you here too and top work on the Amtrac.:thumb2:
Total admiration for your patience building this dio esp. the track work.

Fernando

Fernando, thanks. I think my slowness works in tandem with patience. It gives me time to ponder a solution.

Richard
Great to see you have brought this masterpiece over to here. It was nice to have another look back at your stunning work
Steve

Steve, glad you like it and a pleasure to show it again. While I was preparing the next set of photos I worked on the figures...the next time it won't be a tease, they would be ready for painting.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
More on the progress of the LVT. After being satisfied with the corrections and details to the hull I sprayed the base coat of Olive drab. This acted as a primer, then I sprayed successive layers of highlights and dark tones of the same color mixed with either white or black. For the large side panels I sprayed in a vertical streaked pattern...

l0026.jpgl0027.jpgl0028.jpgl0029.jpgl0030.jpgl0031.jpg

I painted the tracks and added them to the body...

l0044.jpgl0045.jpgl0046.jpgl0047.jpgl0048.jpg

At this point I tested it out on a base and planed the composition. Initially it was to be next to a shell hole with casualties being attended but I have since changed it...

l0040.jpgl0041.jpgl0042.jpgl0043.jpg

Back on the work table I added rust stains...which will be in the next post...

Attachments

• l0045.jpg
    l0045.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 8
  • l0046.jpg
    l0046.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
  • l0047.jpg
    l0047.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
  • l0048.jpg
    l0048.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 6

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Continuation of the build... more rust streaks and mottling...

l0049.jpgl0050.jpgl0051.jpgl0052.jpgl0053.jpgl0054.jpgl0055.jpgl0056.jpgl0057.jpg

Then I scratch built the 50 Cal and 30 Cal gun cradles and shields. The kit didn't have any. The guns came from my spares.

l0059.jpgl0060.jpgl0061.jpgl0062.jpgl0063.jpg
l0065.jpg

That's for now until the next painting of the guns. C & C welcomed.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi...before I continue with the build blog, I'd like to post up the latest the figures for this diorama. It's safe to say they're up and ready for priming but before that here's a snippet of the composition...

LO155.jpg

Actually not the final composition as I have relocated the some of the figures but its roughly like that. Basically the pose is supposed to be like this roughly...

LO179.jpg

The latest figures will be shown in before and after configuration:

LO158.jpg Before, the Panzer Grenadier and spare hands.LO186.jpg After, basically he has a new head from Hornet, reworked hald of a Tamiya back pack...
LO187.jpg The spade is typical marine tropical style.

Next
LO180.jpg Before, standing figure ready to baynet charge.
LO181.jpg After, added resin head turned to the right, readjusted arms and hands and made him kneel.

Next
LO184.jpg Before, flame thrower man.
LO185.jpg After, repositioned his legs, Hornet head, and added the other half of the reworked Tamiya back pack.
LO188.jpg May have to redo his left hans to grip the rifle better. This is a classic pose from an Iwo Jima image.

Next
LO182.jpg Before, shot gun man.
LO183.jpg After, calling out to his buddy. Added Hornet head, reworked arms and change of weapon.

Next
LO189.jpg Before, BAR Man.
LO190.jpg After, no change...his pose is just right only drilled out the sleeve cuffs.

That was my weekend progress. Little things like the helmet straps and gun slings will be added.

C & C welcomed.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Back to the regular programming channel...continuation of the LVT secondary armement.

l0066.jpg l0067.jpgl0068.jpg l0069.jpgl0070.jpg I painted the sheilds and guns seperately in Olive drab and flat black. The guns later were treated with graphite and highlighted further with steel.
I chucked a piece of rod onto my power drill and carved out the aerial supports while it spun. The attached guitar string as the antenna.

l0071.jpg l0075.jpg

I created my own markings with masking tape tracing and cutting the insignias and unit numbers...

l0072.jpg l0073.jpgl0074.jpg l0076.jpg

The chip marks were done with salt and water deposits removed after the white was sprayed.
And these were the results...

l0077.jpg l0078.jpgl0079.jpg l0080.jpg

At this point critics will notice that this Amtrac is an A5 with features that were found probably at the end of the war. Like the side periscopes on the turret, turret guard rails front and back and the extra aerial mounts. Also the staggard top front hatches. But I'm not into revit counting and use what I have.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Ooooh, nice! I love the use of graphite - really gives the feeling of metal under the paint. Superb detailing as well Richard.

Peter.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, thanks...hmmm you have a thing for graphite don't you.:tongue-out: Metal revealed under chipped paint is normally dull greyish until it shines under constant wear and rubbing against.

Did you get to see the latest on the figures. I may have over puttyied and will need to whittle down on the clothing. I meant to bulk it and not over bulk it.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

The figures look fine to me Richard. As someone who can't sculpt I feel I can't comment on your excellent work.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A terrific update. I suffer from paint ridges when using stencils. Am I using too much paint or is there something else I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance
Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Your work on the figures is great. They will really fit the scene.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys for your replies. I didn't want to get into this thread yet as I was distracted by our countries elections...such drama but we did it. No blood spilt, just like our independence we now have a new government after 61 years. Really proud. Ok that's that...back to regular programming...

Peter, thanks. Your comments are heard even if it's for symmetry and scale.
Steve, much obliged. A good masking tape and burnishing the edges just before a pass of the airbrush at 90 degrees to the surface will stop any crippage.
Jimbo, I'll be seeing after painting if the puttying and sculpting worked.

Thanks for looking in guys.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
We're now where we're supposed to be which is the actual process for the dio. I've always wanted to do the right palm leaves of the coconut tree having seen some not too convincing after market ones.
After analysing I came up with a way (not necessarily the best) of coming up with one.
L0126.jpg LO127.jpg

Using copper wire sandwiched between two layers of masking tape I got the perfect material to work with without tearing easily. I cut the fronds individually and tweezed the ends near the branch.

LO128.jpg .

For the floor debris I used dried fern leaves and cut them the same as the masked palm leaves. They would be crushed and strewn about with the following ends from some dried air plants that surprisingly look like the palm branch ends.

LO136.jpgLO137.jpgLO138.jpg

Primed and ready for paint.

LO139.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I had to find the easiest way to create coconut tree trunks without the hassle of carving each trunk. I don't know if it's done before but I came up with coating a selected curved twig with two part putty, scored lengthwise with the edge of a hacksaw blade and then twinning thread roughly 2mm width for the entire length of the twig. Then quickly remove the thread and set aside for the putty to cure.

LO132.jpgLO133.jpg

I bulked up the base ends and sculpted the texture.

LO130.jpg

I cut some as bunker reinforcements...

LO131.jpg

Primed and the left trunk has been painted with heavy dry brushing. Later I'll add in little specs of moss and lichen and some damage from shrapnel and bullets.

LO140.jpgLO141.jpg

So far I've made more than the three palm fronds and trunks...next is the right colours for these palms. I'm lucky to have two trees in the front of the house as reference.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited: