They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,

What a treat to have a catch up on this great build. I think your techniques and attention to detail is outstanding.
Scottie

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Steve, it's great to know you're enjoying it as am I.
Peter, if you're astonished I'm amazed everytime I come across a way to model something.
Guy, I hope so, fingers crossed I get good reviews from the competition I'm putting this in.
Tony, art and thinking out of the box bro.
Scottie, you've got some pretty good moves when detailing your vehicles too. A pleasure to blog it again.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
Earlier in the post I showed a rough composition of the base with polysterene. Now I've gone further and shored up the sides with compressed boards, painted it black and plastered the surface with polyfilla. Positioned the coconut trunks. I was trying to get a three layered view as well as a V focal towards the front corner of the LVT.

LO134.jpgLO135.jpg

I proceeded to stuck on the palm fronds and air plant stalk ends. Needless to say the trees will be repositioned.

LO145.jpg

At this juncture I decided the LVT needed some repainting and lightened it overall and added more rust stains.

LO146.jpgLO147.jpgLO148.jpgLO149.jpgLO150.jpg

This was where Steve came in I think. :smiling4: More to come later...

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Wonderful work. Winding string around the puttied trunk - inspired :thumb2: When you Polyfilla over the base do you mix it up with just water or do you add something like PVA?
Jim

A

Armorguy

The LVT looks the business sir. I like the blue working well with the rust stains. They push eachother and make the model come to life.
The V shape : good thinking, it will lead the eye to the vehicle.

E

Evan James

Absolutely amazing work Richard, right from the start of the build till now, you've given total commitment and the results are going to be fantastic.
ev

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks again guys for the compliments.

Jimbo, on the string on trunk..you should try it, really easy. On polyfilla, not really PVA but leftover house emulsion paint, somehow that lessens the cracking. I have the paste as thick as possible.
Guy, thank you sir. I may increase the hue of the blue 'cos at certain angles it tends to blend into the green. Lost a bit of the contrast when I sealed with Future for more washes.
Evan, nice to have you here. I hope all this works out in the end.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
Some initial scatter of sand and debris for look and feel...

LO151.jpgLO152.jpg

A bit of composition trials but those three guys up front are established and not moving anywhere.

LO153.jpg

LO155.jpg

Just an indication of what the colour of the palm fronds are going to look like. Still need some burnt and specs effect. Also coconuts.

LO156.jpg LO157.jpg

That's it for tonight. Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard

A

Armorguy

The palm leaves look spot on. Richard, just an idea...there's a GI with a flamethrower on his back kneeling on the bunker, if you add black soot to the opening it looks like he silenced it. Only a thaught, you're the deciding man. The outcome will be stunning after leaving your hobbybench !

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Coming up super nice the palm trees are stunning... keep up

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys, I had gone to bed when you last replied.

Guy, yes that would be my intention with added bullet holes and damage. The flame thrower guy is now positioned before the bunker.
Andy B, a little bit at a time.
Greg, glad you approve on the palm trees.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
I've thoroughly enjoyed sitting here reading this post and being amazed at your continued determination and skill. Those palm trees for one are just superb, certainly made me push to get further with my 1/48 ones. Lookin fwd to seeing more.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John R, I'm glad you like the palm trees. You're doing them in 1/48?...you're testing your eye aren't you. I look forward to your palms, dates and all.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Every time you post l’m in super excited mode.......:smiling6::smiling6::smiling6::smiling6:87ECDC7B-F690-4B12-8D79-8511DA534B38.jpeg

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Greg and Peter...you fellas keep me going, :smiling6: One is excited and the other is crying...:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard