They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
very nice it's gonna be epic... can't wait to see them finished and in the diorama
If i may.... the holster is a bit too high... but for the rest everything is spectacular

D

Deleted member 6559

Fine work Richard. A terrific range of expressions on those faces. Inspiring.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work on this one,Richard ,real like the reworking of the figures,well done,:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard .
Those reworked figures are fab, you've got this off to a T .
The groupings are perfect, as are the poses . Well done that man
John .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Greg, Peter, Paul, Monica and John R for the lovely comments,

I was waiting for the holster comment :smiling2: I was doing a candid individual field adaptation that some soldiers do even if there is a regulation on equipment fittings. This particular NCO decided to clip his holster to the strap that came with his satchel bag slung across his shoulder. His pistol belt has no room as he had stuffed it with as many Carbine ammo and grenade pouches that he could carry. Actually just wanted some variation to his equipment. It would have been better if he had acquired a shoulder holster as some officers did. You have one sharp eye Greg.

Only four of the figures needed major reworking. The other Gen2 figures just needed tweeking. It's the only way to get figures to interact unless they come as a set piece. Enjoyed being Dr Frankenstein for a while.:tongue-out3:

What can I say about Hornet heads...just pick one for the right expression and paint away and it's all about the eyes.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
:smiling4::smiling4::smiling4::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:
If you need a shoulder holster i have one... :smiling:
but i think it will take a LOOOONG time to get to you...:smiling6::smiling6::smiling6::smiling6:
I like your idea since the Marine made HUUUGE field gear adaptation..
well that is an interesting one...

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for the offer Greg but as you said it'll take too long. Have already painted the figures and creating tghe highlights and worn out looks. Going towards the straps for helmet and weapons...using aftermarket lazer cut items I purchased from Shizuoka, the buckles just ad fine as PE.

Also did a bit on the groundwork foliage. Pictures later when I can get time to snap them.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
These are the progress pictures on the figures. Highlights on two are nearly there, just a few more layers and filtering...

LO210.jpg

Sorry for the bad images...not easy to hold figs in one hand and HP on the other. Also too near the light.

LO211.jpg LO214.jpg

All that shine will be removed with a layer of dullcoat.

LO212.jpg

That's it for now.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard hi
Figures looking great, hope you are pleased with the modifications.
John .

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Richard the palette that you used is perfect the green of the uniforms are really spot on... and the USMC OD3 is also spot on... keep up the good work i really find the camo of the helmet very well executed.... in one word... The Marines are really great

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work on the figures. All at 1 35 as well. An eye strain nightmare! Cant wait to see them on the dio

D

Daniel Horvath

Evening Richard! Well mister all i can say it is amazing! your figure faces are fabulous, wish I can ever do as half as good as yours ! Very well done sir ! I guess you getting closer to the finish line as well! Looking forward to the completed scene! All the best regards Danny

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks so much guys. Apologise for not replying earlier as I was busy putting the dio together and have pictures for you starting with the added barbed wire. The Japanese did have this fronting their bunkers making it harder for the Marines to sneak up to throw a satchel of explosives...

LO216.jpg

Then the figures just before going for their Matt bath...shot is kind of blurry owing to the late night and sore eyes...

LO215.jpg

Now the Marines are finally storming the beach...this is going to be picture heavy...

LO217.jpgLO218.jpgLO219.jpg

I have captured as many angle but there is so much more possibilities...

LO220.jpgLO221.jpgLO222.jpgLO223.jpg
LO224.jpg
LO225.jpg

I didn't miss the coconuts...some are strewn on the ground.

LO226.jpgLO227.jpg

The figures still need some sand dusting and more green palm leaf strands for the groundwork.
There will be a surprise addition if I have time. This goes for the MALCOM competition in Penang this weekend.

Thanks for accompanying me on this build guys.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
....... and my jaw just dropped.... FANTASTIC BUILD... the atmosphere that you put in it is spot on.... i can hear the noise of the battle as it was a WW2 reel documentary .... well done ... love it.... plus THE MARINES.... SEMPER FIDELIS...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Superb. Great story telling, great composition and great modeling skills.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh wow! I don't think I've ever seen so much movement in a diorama. Absolutely brilliant.