thinning model vallejo paint ???? help plz

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hello all,

this maybe a silly thing to ask, how much thinning dose Vallejo model paint take to be

able to use in an AB,as its very thick,

and i dont wont to be spending like 5 hrs trying to clean the thing,

so in paint to thinner, ?p/ ?t please

any help greatly appreciated,

First Name
Dave
I thinned about 50/50 i can't say if that's correct as i am relatively new to AB but it sprayed fine for me no blockages .

Dave

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
50:50 for Model Colour Monica. But do experiment using that as a starting point by spraying 'off model' first. You can spray MC but some colours are more problematical. I would suggest moving to Vallejo Model Air as they spray superbly.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ta Dave i will give that a shot ,and see how it go,s ,like wise ,mostly only undercoat with AB,:confused:

ta Barry, most of my paints are model air but a few are model color,like my silver,brass ,gold,copper, and flesh,

I will give it a shot like i said to Dave,and fingers crossed lol, :D

and you guessed it right there the ones i need for miss she hunter,:confused: :rolleyes: ;)

and i do real wont to buy again ,as i did try once and 5 hrs later had the thing unclogged, :oops:

D

dubster72

Good luck Moni! I hate spraying with Vallejo, it's never worked for me :sad:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
50:50 for Model colour works fine for me with a 0.35mm nozzle. I haven't tried the metallic colours through the airbrush but I would suspect from experience that they are coarser and may require more thinning or a 0.50mm nozzle.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
\ said:
50:50 for Model Colour Monica. But do experiment using that as a starting point by spraying 'off model' first. You can spray MC but some colours are more problematical. I would suggest moving to Vallejo Model Air as they spray superbly.
I'm with Barry on this one MC are really not designed to spray as it is not milled as finely as model colour and despite thinning can still cause problems.

I thin at almost 1 part paint, 7 parts vallejo thinner. After 10 minutes of spraying, my airbrush will be clogged. I have to constantly clean the nozzle head while spraying if I want to continue. I gave up using Vallejo Air on airbrush. :sad:

Having said that, Vallejo is still a good paint. I use it now mostly for figure painting and small parts of model kits [ armor vehicle wheels and tracks, aircraft wheels etc ] using a paint brush.

L

Laurie

As Barry and Vaughan generally. Found that Vallejo Model is a great paint for hand painting as it covers in one coat but for air brushing it is for me a disaster. That is with a .4 nozzle/needle.

What you may try is this but it is sacrilege. Vallejo Thinners contains ingredients which are as those used for the paint itself. It thins but also has additives. Suggest as an experiment you try water. May work but it will not have the stickability to plastic that the paint with Vallejo thinners will have.

Vallejo, which is apparently the first on the acrylics model paint scene (must be right as they say so) produce Model Air for the simple reason that their Model Paint does not work well in an Airbrush.

If you look at this http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-color/family/15 you will not find a trace towards air brushing. Also just noted it mentions the water thinner for hand brushing. So it may work with airbrushing. :rolleyes:

If you look at the glaze medium that may help. It says it does have a help in air brushing thinning colour.

Laurie

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you all for the help and info, :smiling3:

i have found that the undercoats /and over all base work ok for me Patrick,but have not try detail work,

well with 3 saying MC, can be a bit of a pain to spray,think i will just use the hairy stick,as i was just going to be lazy,:rolleyes:

and the biggest needle i have is a .3, so that sorted,

as i have the flesh base that is quite dart mixed with age white air should be fine as its only one or two drops mixed ,so only some thinning needed

ta for the link Laurie, ;) , i do use both water and the thinning agent when paint,and find that water seams to get a diffidence use of the paint,hard to say ,

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use Model color a lot, and thin it with their airbrush thinners about 50/50 as a starting point. I don't have problems with clogging, but as most acrylics, it can dry on the needle/nozzle juncture. I tend to have a cotton bud with thinners on and a quick swipe with that soon clears things again. I use them in a 0,25 mostly.

The metal colours can be a bit challenging but with around 60/40 they work ok. I just don't like the effect they give. They look like a metal flake. Great for a car, not so good for a metal finish. The brass is good though.

Ian M

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Ian thats what i find the drying on the nozzle, even with the under coats and its very annoying,

so with the flesh color i should be fine,as its only a hint with aged white ,

the main thing is that with the helmet being big just trying not to get brush,stocks that all ;)

L

Laurie

\ said:
I tend to have a cotton bud with thinners on and a quick swipe with that soon clears things again. M
That is what I do Ian. Also I do a quick withdrawl of the needle which on most occasions is part of the problem. Little bit of paint on the end or it is covered with paint in a half dried sate. But all of that puts the air brush back on course.

Laurie

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Found though that the MA colour can be different to the MC equivalent - desert yellow been a case in point, MC is a lot more yellower(?) than the MA version as i have found out to my cost, going to have to add a MC mist to try and blend in with the side panels. Point to self - dont rush to try and use a new airbrush/compressor set up on a part built kit :smiling3: