Three 120mm Vignettes for Richard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

This one should be simpler. I'm not sure where the head comes from, but as you say, we'll see if he survives the rigours of being painted. He does look older, and of course the Volksgenadiers were made up of remnants of the armies decimated by the Soviets, so he could be older.

D

Deleted member 6559

The first choice head didn't work out as usual, so I went for this Dragon one instead (if in doubt......):

100_2354.JPG100_2355.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
The first figure is very nice indeed. The equipment fits very naturally.
Jim

N

Nick T

Hi Peter,
As always your work is of a superb quality and a joy to see. Many thanks, Nick T.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The old spares are certainly getting used mate.Volksgrenadier a great idea Peter.Shame bout feldgendamerie bod.Then i always thought the head and helmet werent the best to be honest.Some of the Verlinden stuff anatomically were grim.
Actually did bit of sculpting today!
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Tim, hope you yourself were busy.

Richard - Many thanks. Yes. Verlinden did often do some wobbly anatomy. Shame.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Dragon head is a great choice. Coming together well mate.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Steve

The main part of the figure is done:

100_2359.JPG100_2360.JPG

As I've found before with Verlinden's great-coated Germans, there were not many folds and creases to exploit, so the it all looks a bit parade ground fresh. I've added a bit of weathering to try and liven it up a bit, and hopefully the addition of the equipment will add more interest.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Do painted folds and shadows look any good on a level coat like this or do you need to exploit moulded folds?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve
Painted folds don't always work at this larger scale, and as the fabric itself is fairly flat, I'm going to leave it as it is.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes indeed .
Peter, suberb.
John .

Last edited:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Nice work Peter

He does look a little worried and a little over 21 too

The smooth great coat makes it look a few sizes too big, which all adds to the piecemeal look of the Volksgrenadier in the streets of Berlin in 1945

All you need now is the nose of a T34 appearing at the corner and the trembling hands on his Panzerfaust.

looking forward to the equipment being added, don't worry, I don't really expect a T34, not in this scale:smiling3:

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in chaps.

Steve - I don't think he's shaping up to be one of my best, but he may look OK as part of a Vignette. The trouble is that I'm having to change so much as I go along so that the figures don't go together as well as planned.

A 1/16 T34 ? I've seen a Hobbyboss one for sale at £62, but can you imagine the pressure to improve it I'd get from the rivet counters?

A

Armorguy

You most certainly made the greatcoat look not that parade ground fresh. With the rest of the equipment on it...

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
I think he looks spot on in my eyes.I like the ragtag look of Volksturm and Volksgrenadiers at the end of the war.I have some old Verlinden magazines and the guy put lots of figures in a tub and tipped them out to make new ones with slight conversions.Sounds like us mate as i used to as well.If you are interested i could send them.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Guy - Thanks for the encouraging words.

Richard - Pleased that you like what I'm doing with your bag of tricks. The chap in the magazine does sound familiar.... (anything you want to send my way is always welcome!).

This one's finished:

100_2362.JPG100_2363.JPG100_2364.JPG

Steve mentioning the Panzerfaust encouraged me to dig one out and try it as an option. I was going to have him holding the rifle in his right hand, but I think this has turned into a better set-up (gave the left hand something to do as well). Thanks Steve.