Three 120mm Vignettes for Richard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

As I mentioned in my 8th Army thread, I was recently sent a box of figures and spares by my friend Richard Pearce. After hours of fun, I managed to put no less than ten figures together, the first two being the 8th Army man and his German POW. I've now finally sorted through the rest and have come up with plans for three vignettes.

The first will be France 1940:

100_2326.JPG

Here we have a Feldgendarme and infantryman by Verlinden, and a figure by Dragon which will become a machine gunner.

Next, early Eastern Front:

100_2327.JPG

Three Verlinden figures in winter gear.

Lastly, Germany 1945:

100_2328.JPG

These are made up of what was left , but should build up OK.

This will probably turn into a long thread and I can't guarantee that everything will work out, but you're welcome to watch along if you're interested (may take some breaks for the odd bust or two).

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
I really like the ideas for your new vignettes.Im amazed at what new figures you conjure up.It gives me great pleasure seeing my unwanted spares put to good use.Rest assured my friend there us still a fair bit left here for you!!.I think in wifes cupboard i have a Miniart Ww1 fighter ace kit(Goering).Think you will be busy for awhile my friend.I wish.i could get my mojo back for sculpting.
Enjoy mate.
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
A fine collection of bits and pieces. Great planning and I look forward to your results which I am certain will be excellent.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I'm so glad you approve of what I'm doing with your box of tricks. I'm having a lot of fun putting the bits and pieces together - a bit like playing with my Timpo soldiers as a iid.

Jim - I hope some of them at least work out.

I don't think I'll post the progress on each figure, as that might get a bit boring. I'll just post pictures of each one as it's finished.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
what a great collection of figures ,will be watching and waiting to see what and how you do this lot,
do like and enjoy your work,:smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter .
Oh do please mate, that's what we expect.:thumb2:

Just been informed by Christine she can hear the sounds of Motown, I can't as slightly deaf. !
Excitement earlier as the Lancaster flew over and banked round over Stamford as it returned from the Birthday Prade and Trooping of the Colours
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Monica -Welcome along.

John - Probably do a mix of updates as the mood takes me. Must have been great to see the Lancaster - we're seeing Spitfires two or three time a week now. Steps have just finished at the cricket ground - I can hear the TV now!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter .
Thank would be liked .
This time of the year we see the flight a lot, including the Dakota at times . Thought nothing beats that sound of the Merlin engine does it.
John.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

looks like a big WWII project, so I can see you will need the odd bust to sharpen the palette for more field grey.

There are 3 camo mocks too?

Updates are all part of sharing, just the odd photo at the end of the day?

Are you safe from the 80's rewind now?

Hers hoping its going to be a good day for you with the first trio?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - OK will do.
Steve - Ditto. Three winter uniforms, but not necessarily camo(!). The musical interlude is over and all has returned to peace and quite in the southern suburbs of Canterbury. The cricket club puts them on as a business venture and they've proved quite popular. They're keen to attract the 'right' kind of audience, so it's pretty MOR fare. Tom Jones, Elton John, Madness etc etc. Still get a lot of very inebriated older music fans, but it's all over by 9.30pm - the local residents give them a very hard time.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
An interesting jigsaw of parts that you have put together. Looks like this will keep you out of trouble for a while. Looking forward to seeing how they come together. Good luck my friend

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Steve

No much progress today. Failed with the kit head and alternatives 1, 2 and 3. Have made up a fifth, but have no painting mojo left.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Sorry to hear it's been a tough day Peter.

Hopefully, a trip to Madame guillotine will boost the head count!

Vive la revolution

Hope you have a better day tomorrow

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

I fell at the first fence with the Feldgendarme I'm afraid. I tried painting the kit head, but couldn't get on with it, and ended up trying three alternatives before a fourth worked out. This was made up from Dragon's Otto Skorzeny head with a spare helmet and Tamiya goggles. I left the scars to add a bit of character, but removed the silly moustache.

I then tried painting the main part of the figure, but again got nowhere. Part of the problem was that the gorget was still pretty rough after my repairs, and as it was going to be all too visible, I decided to ditch the whole thing.

So it was on to the next figure, using the same head. This is what I came up with:

100_2333.JPG100_2334.JPG100_2335.JPG

While removing the casting block from the kit legs I inadvertently chopped off a good part of the top of the trousers, so again had to look for an alternative. These legs come from Dragon's Josef Diefenthal kit, and represent the later war trousers issued to armoured troops. As Dragon have Diefenthal wearing marching boots, I went for the same option, so our man is now a panzergrenadier circa 1944.

Oh blimey!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
One down - two to go! Bit of a toughie this one. Keep going my friend

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hes a rum looking dude Peter.Really tough looking beggar.Looks great painted up mate.Think ive got diffenthal somewhere around.Still no sculpting.You are putting me to shame my friend.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve, Mick and Richard, thanks for looking in.

I decided to change the boots:

100_2336.JPG

This combination is more likely and the fit is better anyway. He looks kind of short and pugnacious, which I like.

D

Deleted member 6559

We're getting somewhere:

100_2337.JPG100_2338.JPG

The top half is more or less finished. I really like the way the jacket has been sculpted, as creases, wrinkles and a certain bagginess are as much to do with wear as dirt is. I also think the stance of the new legs better fits the pose, so the change was fortuitous. He has a Colt pistol stuck in his belt, though it's failed to catch the light in the photos.