Three 120mm Vignettes for Richard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very nice Mr.D.Really looks eyecatching in field grey.The face really adds some interest visually.On a roll mate.
Richard

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Lovely update Peter,

The 2nd photos does seem lighter and shows the jacket to its best advantage, well worn and wrinkled.

The legs do suit him and the boots exchange hasn't lost any continuity with the figure.

Just more heads required!

Super work Peter

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Cheers mate.

Richard - Don't know about being on a roll. Took a long time to get something going with this one. Many thanks.

Steve - Glad you like him so far. Funnily enough, just after I finished this one I discovered a little box on top of a cupboard which contained a completed, painted head and set of equipment - would have been ideal. Will come in handy though.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Peter,
good to see your keeping busy and how very nice of Richard to send you all those bits and pieces! like what you've done so far:thumb2:
Si

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Peter .
As Scottie says awesome !
I always admire you uniform knowledge, esp German.
Mine is very limited. , Just Russian uniform brown .:worried:
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Evening John, glad you like him so far.

I don't have that much knowledge of German uniform, though as I've have painted quite a few over the years, I suppose I will have picked up something (I usually learn most when someone tells me I've got it wrong!). From what I've read and seen, almost anything could be worn in any combination towards the end of the war. Nowadays, I usually have my childhood copy of Army Uniforms of World War 2 by Andrew Mollo open before me (it was actually my brother's, but I pinched it).

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ah Peter...like the pace you're at now. Will be able to keep up.

Also like that you're really working on improving the figure with spares. The choice of leggings better than the whole boot. Can't comment on the painting as its always good...the second picture definitely brings out the contrast of the highlights.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard. Bit touch and go with this conversion lark.

Here he is after the latest session:

100_2341.JPG100_2342.JPG100_2343.JPG

Today I painted his lower half and added the hands. As you can see, I have him waving his right hand and he'll be holding the rifle in his left. I decided to mount him on a temporary base at this stage as the other was a bit unstable - knocked him over last night, though fortunately only damaged him slightly.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
If only I could get my painting as smooth as yours I'd be jumping over the moon, Peter. The shorter legs seem to give him a natural look so much that even standing still he doesn't look stiff.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Richard. Not so smooth in close up though!

I decided to go over the uniform and add some extra highlights:

100_2344.JPG100_2346.JPG

I was in two minds as to whether to give the uniform a coat of matt varnish as it can often kill the surface dead. However, I went ahead and, sure enough, it went flat as a pancake. The only solution was to go over the whole thing and bring up the contrasts.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
He looks mighty fine to me Peter.
Will look a bobby dazzler when hes done.I need some of your modelling energy and mojo mate.Mines at zero Dont know what to make next.Severe lack of motivation indeed.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard. It looks like there will be a change of plan as far as the vignettes are concerned - I've been swapping bits around and coming up with better combinations. Sorry to hear about the mojo - perhaps it's due to it being summer and sculpting being a winter thing? Don't panic, just go with it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter .
I always thought you gave a coat of flat varnish to your figures.
You make it look perfect with these convertions.
I did one fitting a new hand, looked like he had a baseball glove on .That was mixing two different manufactures.
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John - I try not to varnish my figures if I can help it. I think a very slight sheen helps animate the surface.

As for the conversions, hands and heads are the real problems - an incredible range of sizes at one scale and often from the same manufacturer.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Another lovely figure Peter,

your wet blend contrasting for this scale figures and busts is top notch.

The varnish issue must be frustrating, indeed, if it is necessary would it help with a drop in your paint during mixing shades and highlights?

The different manufacturers sizes for the same scale is good in groups to add variety, something that reflects people not being all the same, though there are limits to hands and heads!

New combinations?

Looking forward to what you have planned next

As ever Peter, super finishing, you really do maintain a high standard of work

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - The only matt varnish that mixes successfully with Vallejo is their own, but the big problem is, it ain't matt! I use Daler Rowney, which though water soluble, tends to thin the paint too much, so....

Anyway people, the first figure is done:

100_2347.JPG100_2350.JPG100_2351.JPG

Today I painted and attached his gear. I always enjoy this stage, as it's an opportunity to get up close and personal and work on the detail. A few straps and buckles were made from paper and wire as usual, then various parts were given a final varnish. The hand holding the rifle isn't quite right, so I'll swap it for a better one should one turn up.

I'm not sure whether any of the remaining figures will pair with this one, as I've made a few changes to the combinations and the Feldgendarme has bitten the dust. We'll have see.....

D

Deleted member 6559

I've now sorted out the parts for the next figure, a Volksgrenadier:

100_2352.JPG
This utilises Verlinden, Dragon and Tamiya parts with a Reedees(?) head. I've given him G43 ammo pouches but a 98K rifle to emphasise the mix of equipment used towards the end of the war. He'll be wearing a field cap and carrying the helmet on his belt.

The build was fairly simple, though I had to insert a shirt collar cut from another figure to take the head. The only haversack that fitted was a bit damaged so I've made new rings from wire.

I may be able to team this up with the previous figure - I'll see how it goes.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Looks like another cracking mix and match figure, Peter.

Is the head an "older" recruit?

I guess we will see later today.

The varnish issue does appear to be a tricky one?

I guess it becomes a bigger problem with the bigger scales?

Here's hoping the head behaves itself

regards

Steve H