Tide of iron Cambrai 1917 pictures

N

noble

At 06:20 hrs on the morning of November the 20th 1917, british artillery opened up a barrage and took the germans completely by surprise as they fired and destroyed there counterparts in depth with surprising accuracy. As the germans thought the barrage would last for some time they remained in there dug outs, on emerging the first thing they saw was tanks in their wire supported by infantry and the royal flying corps. German trops were taken completely by surprise and overwhelmed by the speed of the advance, a tech nique which would in later years become known as Blitzkrieg.

This was a day that changed warfare for ever, it was the birth of armoured warfare the first use en masse of the tank as a new battlefield weapon although at the end the outcome of the battle was inconclusive the gains made at the beginning were impressive.

This diorama has been in progress for at least 5 months so now that it is completed i hope you all like it, the kits used were Emhar and tamiya. It is in 1/35 scale and was painted using tamiya acrylics and oils, so all comments are welcome be they good or bad and than you for taking the time to view.

scott:cold2:

View attachment 32525

View attachment 32526

View attachment 32527

View attachment 32528

View attachment 32529

View attachment 32530

View attachment 32531

View attachment 32532

View attachment 32533

View attachment 32534

View attachment 32535

View attachment 32536

View attachment 32537

Cambrai 12.jpg

Cambrai 3.jpg

Cambrai 7.jpg

Cambrai 11.jpg

Cambrai 5.jpg

Cambrai 9.jpg

Cambrai 6.jpg

Cambrai 13.jpg

Cambrai 1.jpg

Cambrai 4.jpg

Cambrai 10.jpg

cambrai 2.jpg

Cambrai 8.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Scott this is just pure quality, no question.

I've seen some cracking dioramas on here but this is just stunning.

Coupled with great photography, this is class work.

I know some people say comments can be over the top, but I don't care. This deserves all the praise that can be heaped on it.

Big 5....

Ron

P

phalinmegob

not only half an hour ago i was on my way to say hello and have a look at your train scott,but at the last minute my wifie decided we were getting the train at bebington cos she wanted to go to some bloody shop on the way and my car is off the road at the mo......women!. yet another stunning piece of work on show here, never seen those stripey helmets before though.

First Name
Ty
Very nice work Scott. Good composition, paints and weathering. Really the only two points I can see that could use an extra touch are 1. The tank tracks look a little clean. You have included two standing pools of water (Which look awesome) that indicate damp or wet soil conditions. That should be shown on the tank tracks as well (in my opinion) 2. The sandbags look a little stiff and should really conform or sag against the neighboring sandbags. This a common drawback to using styrene or resin sandbags, which I'm assuming they are. I would recommend making your own out of an epoxy putty.

Here's demo of the method copied from a different site

There are many way’s to make sandbags and I am not telling this is “the way” but it works for me and maybe for you to?

To make good sandbags you don't need many tools:

• Milliput (or A+B Epoxy putty).
  • Smooth surface (glass or tile).
  • A knife.
  • A piece of cloth (cheese cloth ore fine mesh, even an old T-Shirt).
  • Your fingers.
Mix the Milliput according to the instructions into a good homogeneous mixture. Use a smooth plate to work on (I always use a piece of glass). Roll from this mixture several sausages from about 8-10 cm long and 6mm in diameter (if necessary put a little Talcum powder on your glass plate to prevent the Milliput from sticking to much). Cut this sausage in to little pieces of about 1 cm (Pic. 1).

Take these little lumps of Milliput between your fingers and form them into little blocks (Pic. 2-3).

Now you have created rectangular shapes, which you can starting to stack onto each other, by using a little pressure when stacking them, they will form themselves like sandbags. Don't worry about the different shapes and sizes you create by applying pressure. This is very natural because of the material and content of real sandbags (Pic. 4). If you are using the sandbags to fortify a bunker or MG nest then you should also consider to put some wooden ammo boxes on the sides of the construction, these where placed to reinforce the sandbag construction.

Let the sandbags dry for about 15 minutes then use some cloth and press lightly on the bags to give them some texture (Pic. 5) Don't forget to scribe some seams on the side of the bags using a pencil or knife (Pic. 6).

Hope you don't mind the tips Scott. You do some great work Scott and this is the best I've seen from you. Your figures have come a long ways as well.

Cheers

Ty

Last edited by a moderator:
N

noble

Gents thanks very much for the stars and the comments first Tyrel cheers for the info i did nitice the tracks at the last minute and they are now done as for the sand bags top tip mate very nice, will need to practise that Andrew sorry mate i have a day off today and some of the clumsy workmen in our place has damaged my train project, so i've had to take it home to repair it. Ron mate a big thanks for your opinion as always a pleasure and look forward to seeing you guys again at Cosford,:tongueout1: thanks again gents you've put a big smile on my face as this project had hit a wall a while back many thanks.

scott

Last edited:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
I don't like it I love it months well spent it a dio any man would be glad to call there own 10 on 10

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's a good one Scott. Not to much WWI stuff around on the forum and that is definitely a good dio.

Ian M

N

noble

Cheers folks i appreciate the great comments very much.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice WW1 dio Scott!

I'm guessing the tank is an Ehmar kit, are the figures a mix of Ehmar and Tamiya? I'm liking the groundwork

Where the hell are you finding the time!!! You must be awake 20 hours a day to be finishing both this and the superb rail piece.

All the best

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
How have I missed this? Brilliant,I always enjoy your dioramas and this is no exception. You must indeed be a busy man.

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

A huge thanks for the great comments and for viewing... this is something which i started a little over 5 months ago then hit a wall with it for a long while... it has only recently come to fruition and i think it turned out better than i planned, thanks again gents.

scott