Tigermeet Mirage Iii R

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals,

Ok, I was up early this morning (4 am) and decided that I would do a fast build.....which turned out to be a 5 hr build.

I had decided that since I was awake and had a dr's appoinment today i would build Fujimi's 1:48th scale Mirage III R, a simple kit with only about 20-30 pieces.

I had printed the decals lastnight in expectation of building this model later today, but things change.

I had seen a Super Etendard in this Tiger striped pattern from last yrs tiger meet in Norway, the theme was "Snow Tigers" and since i didnt have a super etendard, I used the Mirage.

Anyway, here she is sitting on my driveway in the early morning sun.

Below is a photo of the Super Etendard that inspired me to build the mirage in these colors:

9312.jpg

Have a Good day and thanks for looking,

Greg aka GW

Last edited:
R

rjwood_uk

wow thats really good greg!!!

that decal paper you use it top quality.

i love the tigers head, its looks amazing. lovely scheme on what ever aircraft you put it on!!

great stuff greg!

im doing a "speed build" at the moment. but mine has so far taken me 3 days. hope to have it done by either tonight or tomorrow. wont tell you what it is yet though lol.

Richard

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Richard,

Thanks for the compliment. I use Testors decal paper, it comes in both clear and white, since this aircraft was white overall, I used the clear.

The tigers head was a pic I found in google images and resized to fit the model. I was abit disappointed though when I realized I had forgotten to "reverse" the image so the head would be facing the same direction on both sides. However, since its pretty much a straight on view of the tigers face, it isnt that noticable.

Cutting out all those individual stripes were what took so long on this build, the model itself was assembled and painted by 5:30 am this morning.

I look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve, not having a clue but knowing that it is coming is almost cruel and unusual punishment :grinball2:.

Anyway, thanks again for the compliment,

Greg

R

rjwood_uk

i can imagine how laborious it was cutting out those stripes!!!

as for my model..il give you a clue. its going to be in Czech-Republic markings :P

oh...and its 1/48. thats all im saying!

Richard

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Richard,

Well, just guessing from the models I have and with what you gave as a hint, I would guess one of the following:

Avia B234

TS-11 Iskra

Mig-15

Mig-17

mig-19

or Mig 21

Those are my only guesses, I reckon we'll just have to wait to see.

have a good day,

Greg

A

Averof

That Mirage III R is great looking, in fact I've been an aircraft egineer in the french air forces from 1981 to 1985, and actualy had the occasion to work on the Mirage III Atar 9k Jet engine. Well your model realy looks like the real thing. I've also been working during my studies on the old Tiger meet Mirage SMB2. I'm joining a picture. The second picture is a model i've done three weeks ago for a russian collector. But I must precise that, as you must know there never has been any russian carrier painted with tiger meet paintings.

Best regards, Averof

View attachment 16189

View attachment 16190

SMB2 tigre.jpg

HPIM1638.jpg

R

rjwood_uk

wow Acerof that looks really good!

i love the way you faded the white into the yellow.

great stuff.

Richard

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Alan,

Thanks for the compliments on the Mirage. But I must say I really love the looks of the Antonov.

It seems that we have something in common.....large aircraft in tigerstripes. I am sitting here debating on whether or not to begin tigerstriping a C-130 hercules. Its an idea I got about 2 years ago and played with in my photo editing program to get some idea of what it might look like:

Like I said, we have something in common, but you've actually completed one. :bravo:

I would love to see more of your work with aircraft models, I looked through your gallery and you have some really nice looking rc boats.

Anyway, Thanks again for the compliments and when I do finally tigerstripe a C-130, it will be posted in the forum.

Have a good day,

Greg

R

rjwood_uk

greg. i dare you do to that Herc in 1/48.

with the amount of stripes there is no way you could do one of your "quick" builds lol.

how about a tiger meet nimrod or galaxy?

Richard

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Richard,

Well fortunately for me, have a 1:48th scale herc, i do have two 1:72 versions though and I have built the model many times before so i believe the assembly wouldnt take too long, however them darn stripes take forever lol.

I am not sure if the 1:48th scale herc is a "upsized" 1:72 scale or not (same parts, just larger). But, I wont be finding out anytime soon, the 1:48 they have at the hobby shop is a cool $100.00 with taxes I am looking at the better part of $110.00.

But I am looking seriously at doing the herc soon, i go back to work on the 7th of april.

have a good day,

Greg

A

Averof

Thanks Greg for your compliments on my Antonov, I did it in an evenning as it was part of a 50 kit order for an exibition in the russian ambassy of Nice. So I had to be fast on most of thoses Kits. Still I got board to death with all those sad Russian camouflages and just had to make one of my own invention. My russian client finaly liked it like that, hopefully for me.

I'am affraid I didn't take photos of the others plane's kit I made for him, but I made a few of the tanks and trucksI had to go throught. so here they are below.

I'm not to pluged on aircrafts as my go ares War ships, but I'm stil planing to build a 1/72 rc flying Gee Bee flying boat to fit on my son's Armatolos.

As soon as it's done I'll join have it presented in a thread.

Also if it can help : I' first painted the Antonov in silver with Tamiya Can paint then added the white also Tamiya Can paint then one coat of yello, Tamiya with aibrush an one of orange still with airbrush on the upper part of the fuselage. To end with, the black stipes are painted with a medium brush. when decals are dry I finish with one coat of Gamer Workshop's Purety Seal varnsih, wich gives the model a nice sating finish.

Best regards, Averof.

View attachment 16194

View attachment 16195

View attachment 16196

View attachment 16197

HPIM1633.jpg

HPIM1636.jpg

HPIM1644.jpg

HPIM1647.jpg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Alan,

The tanks and trucks look superb, I dont see how anyone could not be satisfied with your work.

If you get the idea to show other works by you, dont be shy, i am sure we would all love to see them.

have a good day,

Greg

A

Averof

Greg you're just to kind.

Siriously, the pictures make the models look better than they realy are. I've juste made them look real with a bit of weathering, but the details could have been treated with more skill.

Any way thanks for your comments, it's a pleasure reading you!

For graet looking models, take a look at a new threat i'm just putting on the site. It's a friend of mine who a raving maniac on details that made those ships....

Alan Averof