Tim's mid-life crisis build...

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
shows things we wouldn't normally see !
Don’t forget the forum software here resizes pictures to 1024 pixels along the longest side, so if you’re only going to post it here, things showing up that you don’t want may not be an issue after all.

First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
Thanks for that...I remember autosol as well.....don’t see it so much now, everything is plastic to save weight....as to a real 9ne, haven’t ruled it out as a retirement present yet, I still have the license....

Hi John
I thought you had a Canon rig....nice camera the 5D, full frame sensor. I have that 24-105 lens as well, great lens, sharp as a tack...not sure what the minimum focus is though, so you may be a little close when you use it. Try it set at 50mm as that should be quite close to the way your eye sees the picture. The 180 macro is a bit fierce unless you move well away, it’s designed to give greater than 1:1 magnification so is really like using a magnifying glass....Apparently it makes a great portrait lens though....i have a 90mm macro and find that a bit much at times as well. Remember you can shoot a little further away and crop the photo in post processing, I find that gives a little more control over perspective and better depth of field (DoF).....you really need the small aperture to maximise DoF. Has your camera got a preset selection? My 7D has, so yours might. If it has, set it, save it, and then use it for this type of picture. All you will have to do is switch to it and not think any more before taking shots....
Cheers all
Tim

John Race

Plastic burner and member of the Rabble
First Name
John
Hi Dave
Thanks for that...I remember autosol as well.....don’t see it so much now, everything is plastic to save weight....as to a real 9ne, haven’t ruled it out as a retirement present yet, I still have the license....

Hi John
I thought you had a Canon rig....nice camera the 5D, full frame sensor. I have that 24-105 lens as well, great lens, sharp as a tack...not sure what the minimum focus is though, so you may be a little close when you use it. Try it set at 50mm as that should be quite close to the way your eye sees the picture. The 180 macro is a bit fierce unless you move well away, it’s designed to give greater than 1:1 magnification so is really like using a magnifying glass....Apparently it makes a great portrait lens though....i have a 90mm macro and find that a bit much at times as well. Remember you can shoot a little further away and crop the photo in post processing, I find that gives a little more control over perspective and better depth of field (DoF).....you really need the small aperture to maximise DoF. Has your camera got a preset selection? My 7D has, so yours might. If it has, set it, save it, and then use it for this type of picture. All you will have to do is switch to it and not think any more before taking shots....
Cheers all
Tim
Tim.
I will check that out, pretty sure it has a preset. I bought the macro for insects and flowers.
Thanks again.
John.

First Name
Tim
Hi John
I rarely use my macro to be honest. In the field I use my 100-400 for insects, flowers and birds....the macro function on it is pretty good and it means you don’t get close to insects and spook them...and the crop sensor on the 7D2 gets me closer to the feathered chaps, acting like a 1.4 converter. I know you’ve looked at my Flikr pictures, well almost everything on there regarding the natural world shots have been taken with a 300mm with 1.4 converter or the 100-400mm zoom I bought to replace it.

Hi Jakko
The 1024 limit is a resize feature, not a crop. All of my pictures are post-process cropped to some extent, but posting here doesn’t change the composition. What I upload is what appears. They just get made the right size to make the width fit the format....It’s why they are all different heights....

First Name
Jakko
The 1024 limit is a resize feature, not a crop.
What I meant was: if your photos are 4000-plus pixels wide, you’re bound see more blemishes in them than in those the forum resizes to 1024 pixels.

They just get made the right size to make the width fit the format....It’s why they are all different heights....
That’s why I usually crop photos like this:

Schermafbeelding 2018-09-13 om 10.45.13.png