Tim's mid-life crisis build...

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
shows things we wouldn't normally see !
Don’t forget the forum software here resizes pictures to 1024 pixels along the longest side, so if you’re only going to post it here, things showing up that you don’t want may not be an issue after all.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
Thanks for that...I remember autosol as well.....don’t see it so much now, everything is plastic to save weight....as to a real 9ne, haven’t ruled it out as a retirement present yet, I still have the license....

Hi John
I thought you had a Canon rig....nice camera the 5D, full frame sensor. I have that 24-105 lens as well, great lens, sharp as a tack...not sure what the minimum focus is though, so you may be a little close when you use it. Try it set at 50mm as that should be quite close to the way your eye sees the picture. The 180 macro is a bit fierce unless you move well away, it’s designed to give greater than 1:1 magnification so is really like using a magnifying glass....Apparently it makes a great portrait lens though....i have a 90mm macro and find that a bit much at times as well. Remember you can shoot a little further away and crop the photo in post processing, I find that gives a little more control over perspective and better depth of field (DoF).....you really need the small aperture to maximise DoF. Has your camera got a preset selection? My 7D has, so yours might. If it has, set it, save it, and then use it for this type of picture. All you will have to do is switch to it and not think any more before taking shots....
Cheers all
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Dave
Thanks for that...I remember autosol as well.....don’t see it so much now, everything is plastic to save weight....as to a real 9ne, haven’t ruled it out as a retirement present yet, I still have the license....

Hi John
I thought you had a Canon rig....nice camera the 5D, full frame sensor. I have that 24-105 lens as well, great lens, sharp as a tack...not sure what the minimum focus is though, so you may be a little close when you use it. Try it set at 50mm as that should be quite close to the way your eye sees the picture. The 180 macro is a bit fierce unless you move well away, it’s designed to give greater than 1:1 magnification so is really like using a magnifying glass....Apparently it makes a great portrait lens though....i have a 90mm macro and find that a bit much at times as well. Remember you can shoot a little further away and crop the photo in post processing, I find that gives a little more control over perspective and better depth of field (DoF).....you really need the small aperture to maximise DoF. Has your camera got a preset selection? My 7D has, so yours might. If it has, set it, save it, and then use it for this type of picture. All you will have to do is switch to it and not think any more before taking shots....
Cheers all
Tim
Tim.
I will check that out, pretty sure it has a preset. I bought the macro for insects and flowers.
Thanks again.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
I rarely use my macro to be honest. In the field I use my 100-400 for insects, flowers and birds....the macro function on it is pretty good and it means you don’t get close to insects and spook them...and the crop sensor on the 7D2 gets me closer to the feathered chaps, acting like a 1.4 converter. I know you’ve looked at my Flikr pictures, well almost everything on there regarding the natural world shots have been taken with a 300mm with 1.4 converter or the 100-400mm zoom I bought to replace it.

Hi Jakko
The 1024 limit is a resize feature, not a crop. All of my pictures are post-process cropped to some extent, but posting here doesn’t change the composition. What I upload is what appears. They just get made the right size to make the width fit the format....It’s why they are all different heights....

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The 1024 limit is a resize feature, not a crop.
What I meant was: if your photos are 4000-plus pixels wide, you’re bound see more blemishes in them than in those the forum resizes to 1024 pixels.

They just get made the right size to make the width fit the format....It’s why they are all different heights....
That’s why I usually crop photos like this:

Schermafbeelding 2018-09-13 om 10.45.13.png

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another party that I am late arriving to! What a wonderful little kit. Looks like all is going well. Will draw up a pew with the rest of the rabble

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Steve
Thanks for joining in...glad you like it...it will be a bit stop start.....but that’s the nature of the beast....
Cheers
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Perhaps when it was new, but this is a thirty five year old Honda LOL

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
I've been plodding on with this one, so here are the latest updates......
P1040469-1.jpg
Right rear end....swing arm and shocks now in place, not that keen on the plastic tubing, doesn't really sit right to my eye.....

P1040473-5.jpg

Left rear end.....shocks have come out quite clean....

P1040470-2.jpg
P1040472-4.jpg
Engine in frame.....not much else you can say about this :rolling:

P1040471-3.jpg
Rear end looking forwards....
I'm finding this quite a protracted build. I think it is the painting as I go approach.....next job is getting the exhausts on and starting to build the front forks.....
hope you like it.....all comments and hints welcome (especially hints).
Cheers
Tim

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
dont think you need any hints......its going together rather well

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Paul, glad you think so....still don’t like the big screws, but can’t find my 12 - 14 - 16 BA bolts anywhere so can’t replace them.....you’ve built this I believe, if so, where did you put the plug leads? There is no coil that I can see and they just flap around otherwise...

Hi Kirsten, hope you find it interesting as I go forward....

Cheers both
Tim

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As i remember the plug leads loop over the frame and attach to the plugs on other side of engine....been a while and im at work so i cant take a look

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ian
Thanks for the support...
Hi Paul
If you could look I would be grateful...could be inexperience on my part, I cut the tubing according to the instruction, so all four are too short to do as you suggest..also, wouldn’t that interfere with the fit of the petrol tank?

Cheers
Tim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
IMG_1057.JPG
Hi Tim,
Doing a bit of Googling it seems there are two cylindrical coil packs - one serves 1&3 the other 2&4
Looking at the above diagram the coil packs are items 1&2 and they look to be suspended off the main top frame rail so that they hang below the tank in the space between tank and cylinder heads/engine on bracket 3&4

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian
Thanks for the support...
Hi Paul
If you could look I would be grateful...could be inexperience on my part, I cut the tubing according to the instruction, so all four are too short to do as you suggest..also, wouldn’t that interfere with the fit of the petrol tank?

Cheers
Tim

i must be thinking of another bike kit....sorry

just found a copy of the instructions in english......the tube ends just get stuffed up into the tank

efjgcx.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Simon
Thanks for that, really helpful, though I’m not going to model the whole wiring loom this time out.....might try to fake the coils though....

Hi Paul
Thanks mate, same instructions I have. I just hadn’t read that far through in detail, just glanced through to get the assembly order down....the answer was with me all the time LOL....

Cheers guys
Tim