rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok...after Steve's fly catch I'm going to visit the optician againg for another round of lens change. Kelly, I fear you might have a magnifying glass nearby your displays for viewing. Simply crazy but amazingly well done.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Kelly,
Are those GHQ pieces that you use for your dios? Nicely done.
Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another wonderful piece of miniature madness. What are you working on at the moment?

Kelly McFadden

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kelly
Hi Kelly,
Are those GHQ pieces that you use for your dios? Nicely done.
Rick H.
Hi Mini Me.
Yes, they're GHQ soldiers and vehicles. I learned about them from studying Andrew Belsey's dioramas.
I really dig GHQ's products. I do wish they had more poses in each collection of soldiers because modifying them is tough.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It may not be Willard Wigan but by the gods these are great!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work Kelly. The water has come out well. How was this achieved??

A

Armorguy

These dioramas knocked me out of my socks, this is refreshing, please keep them coming!

Kelly McFadden

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kelly
Wonderful work Kelly. The water has come out well. How was this achieved??
Hi Steve.

I really appreciate your reply.

I experimented with a few different Vallejo and Woodland Scenics water products.

Vallejo Water Texture Atlantic Blue 26.204 is what I used for the main body of water. It looks horrible when its first applied (see picture). But over 24 hours it starts looking better. What I like about is, unlike Vallejo Still Water, its thick and lets you sculpt it while it’s wet. And it dries so slowly that you have plenty of time to work with it. Boats, men and barriers can be added while its wet. Also, if you need to, you can apply a little more of the Water Texture on top of the dry layer.
water_applied.jpgwater_texture.jpg

I added some clear Vallejo Still Water 26.230 where the blue water texture meets the beach and on the Higgins boat to try and make them look wet.

After that I added Woodland Scenics Water Ripples to build up the waves. They make a product called Water Waves, but at 6mm scale I figure a ripple is a wave. Ha.

water_ripples.jpg
When the Water Texture was dry I applied the Ripples to the wave crests, four or five times, with an old paint brush to build them up. The stuff is a kind of like thin jelly so you can shape it a little bit. That sat for another 24 hours.

After its all dry I painted the water crests and splashes with some off-white paint.

Hope this helps. Give it a try, do a few experiments… then go for it!

Thanks!

Kelly McFadden

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kelly
Because of work its been a long time since I logged in to this page! Got my membership up to date.
This is my latest Tiny Diorama. Its called Operation Undertone, that when the US 3rd and 7th Armies were advancing toward Rhine River in Germany. March 1945.Operation_Undertone_tin.jpgOperation_Undertone_detail_01.jpgOperation_Undertone_detail_02.jpgOperation_Undertone_detail_03.jpgOperation_Undertone_detail_04.jpgOperation_Undertone_detail_05.jpg