Tip on glue for beginer please?

M

modelclimbs

Hi all, currently doing my first serious build and even though I am trying to be very careful there are a few places where glue has got onto the surface of the model, will this 'cover' on painting or does it need to be removed and, if so, what is the easiest way to do this? Is it just a matter of sanding it off? I am using Tamiya ultra thin cement on a Krupp protze towing truck. Thank you in advance for any help. Appreciate it.
Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I use the same glue and it can run anywhere it's so thin. I've found it best to let it dry (most of it will evaporate anyway) then sand it down when dried.

M

modelclimbs

Thanks Colin, just wasn't sure if it would show through the paint or not, I will sand it best I can and go from there.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tamiya Extra thin normally evaporates away on the surface.... Provided you don't stick a finger in it... without leaving a mark.
A tool I find very good at removing glue marks, if deemed needed is a fiber glass pencil. It is like a propelling pencil but instead of a thin lead insert it has a glass fiber rod. Push it out a little and you have quite an aggressive scrubbing tool, push it out around 5mm and you get a softer effect which is just right for removing glue marks. One word of warning!!
You will get quite a few fibers break off and land on the desk. DO NOT wipe them away with your hand. They WILL get into your skin and you WILL NOT able to pull them out, as they break when you touch them with tweezers. SO a damp tissue or a brush will save a lot of itchy hands.
Dont let it put you off of using one, just be careful with how you clean up after.
They are also rather good for removing the shine on photo-etch prior to priming.....

M

modelclimbs

Thank you Ian, will try and get hold of one and give it a go, what size do you use? I see some 4mm ones and some 2mm

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use the 4mm one but a 2mm would be good for tight spots.
I believe John sells them at the Scale Model Shop.