TMA1 - Tycho Magnetic Anamoly One advice please...?

H

Howard

As a new member I hope I've posted this in the right Forum...

I want to make a small model of the Monolith from 2001:Spacy Odyssey. I've had cut some perspex at the correct proportions of 1 x 4 x 9 (15 x 60 x 135mm in this case). It's clear perspex so I'll spray it matt black. I want the Monolith to stand on something that looks reasonably like rock or earth or moon dust etc. Can anybody advise please how best to achieve a suitable, flat bottomed base? I'd thought of maybe casting something in mortar and just placing the monolith in it while setting, or would that look naff?

Any suggestions are extremely welcome. I am not an experienced modeller by the way.

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I would be tempted to but on a small square base and then drill the wood base and the perspex and screw together, this would be before any painting-that way you have it centered and it is more secure. The rock/dust you could use PVA glue and a very fine grey stone powder mix, this can be bought from Ebay. Add the glue and then sprinkle the powder on, once dry you can always touch up using paints if you have too.

H

Howard

Yes, thanks Eddie, I like the sound of that. I was tempted, since I live in an ironstone area and I've got several ironstone rocks in my garden to select a nice small one and cut it in half with a 9" disc cutter which would give me a flat side to stand it on a surface, but couldn't work out how to fix or embed the Monolith to it but your idea of drilling and inserting a screw might work if I was to then drill a small hole in the ironstone and Araldite the monolith screw into it . Ironstone can a lovely prehistoric look to it if you pick the right piece. I'll certainly look on eBay for your stone powder idea though. Thanks again.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Sounds like a good plan , the ironstone should work a treat and give it some extra dimension to the piece.

I have used something like this in the past: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIGHT-GREY-Real-Stone-Miniature-Modelling-Dust-/320297071359?hash=item4a933172ff:m:mvZgUHtjAa9n4nRI7qzBKqw

Bit pricey though for what you may use.

H

Howard

Thanks Eddie for the link (and support..!) I know it's a slight excentric model to make, but it's always been one of my top films and I just love the plot. I work from home and spend a lot of time at my desk so have room for something like this. The perspex was very cheap and I bought 2 and have matt sprayed one and it does look really good. Thanks very much for you help. I know it's not to everyone's taste but I'll post a photo if I get it right. :smiling3: If the ironstone doesn't work out I could model something in say, mortar, a stiff mix and paint with PVA and dust with your suggested powder and maybe spray up a little bit.