"TO DO AND DIE" saving private ryan diorama.

R

rogue-one

hi there folk. after a good month and a half of model fun i've finally finshed my diorama which was based on a scene from saving private ryan. i dont thing i'm gonna be watching that film again for a while, i've rewinded and pause at that scene so many times, i was starting to dream it. ahhh, what am i saying? i'll be watching it again next week, lol. anyhoo, it was a great group build, a good choice. and i didnt spend much money. always good. here's a collection of pics taken from all angles, some of them i've added in a wee background picture taken from the movie. and in the next post is a wee close up pic to compare to a movie still. thanks again for all your comment in the build. bobby.

View attachment 32153

View attachment 32154

View attachment 32155

View attachment 32156

View attachment 32157

View attachment 32158

View attachment 32159

View attachment 32160

View attachment 32161

View attachment 32162

View attachment 32163

View attachment 32164

View attachment 32165

View attachment 32166

View attachment 32167

View attachment 32168

CIMG2425.jpg

CIMG2426.jpg

CIMG2427.jpg

CIMG2473.jpg

CIMG2453.jpg

CIMG2459.jpg

CIMG2449.jpg

CIMG2437.jpg

CIMG2481.jpg

CIMG2451.jpg

CIMG2440.jpg

CIMG2452.jpg

long one.jpg

black & white 2.jpg

CIMG2482.jpg

black & white 3.jpg

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Nice work, I like the close shot in your second post

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Brilliant Bobby, well done mate! Hard to tell film still from model!

Cheers

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been itching to see this finished diorama of yours Bobby and here it is...

Cracking, top notch stuff. A real credit to you. Big 5 for sure. I also get the impression you really enjoyed putting it together!

Isn't it fun rooting around and scratch building stuff? Far better than buying it.

Well done,

Ron

F

Fenlander

This is very nicely done Bobby. Not only well made but tells the story very well. It is a brave thing to reproduce a particular scene this closely but you really have made a stunning job of it. As soon as I started looking at the diorama pics, I remembered the scene from the film and it is a while since I watched it.

Taking it away from the film, it perfectly portrays the uncertainty, fear and confusion that must have been going through those young mens minds. Having survived the run across the open killing ground of the beach, they cling to the hope and protection that solid block of concrete offers them even if only for a short time.

Beautifully modelled Bobby, certainly one of the best storytelling dioramas I have seen.

B

Bunkerbarge

I actually think this movie is one of the most powerful war movies of all time and certainly one of the closest to reality. It should be compulsory viewing for schoolchildren in my book. To take on the task of making a diorama based on a scene from this movie is to say the least quite a challenge and is a very daunting task to say the least. To produce this though is quite amazing and shows a deep appreciation for the subject as much as you modelling skills.

Superb job that deserves to be in a museum or at least where many people can see it and understand a bit about the scene that you have captured.

R

rogue-one

thanks guys for such great comments. brought a big smile to my face :smiling3: . ron, it's well good fun scratchbuilding and i'll never buy a building or wall or anything. more the challenge, more the fun. graham, i'm honoured by your comment, big thanks.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's wonderful work Bobby. ***** for certain.

Gern

H

Hunty22

Absolutely brilliant! True inspiration for noobs like me, good job!

Steve

A

andygh

Can't add much to what others have said

very, very nicely done, 5*

R

Richy C

Great work Bobby , We all know that scene and you`ve got it spot on mate

Richy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi bobby, You must be well chuffed mate, this is outstanding!!I have never seen the film (honest! im going to get slaughtered for admitting that!!) This simple yet superbly effective dio, perfectly captures the feeling of what these poor souls were going through, you can almost feel the fear and tension. Like rons dios it draws you in as if you were there watching the event, brilliant!! 5 stars from me too , cheers tony

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
top mark's bud puts my work in the shade.love the film and loving your diorama looking forward to seeing more!!!!!!!!!!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm lost for words Bobby, this is a beauty of a build. Five stars bud, great work.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bobby that is the bees knees mate you must be well chuffed with that!

Five more stars from me.

Ian M

R

rogue-one

cheers guys for your kind comments! i am chuffed, real happy with the build. i just realised i think i've covered all the years group builds in one, normany, from a photo(or at least a movie still) and theres a sniper in there. so, catch youz all next year, lol.

ha haa ha, kidding. i couldnt wait that long.