"to do and die"

R

rogue-one

hey there everyone. glad to be back in another group build and it's such a good choice of build. so many idea's running through my small brain. i would have liked to build a large dio of one of the beach scene's but sadly after xmas, money is short. so i'm gonna do something smaller but hopefully still with a lot of impact, detail and style. anyone who read the start of my first summer G.B post will know that i love my war movie's (and who doesn't?). and after watching it again recently, i've decided to do something from "saving private ryan". a homage you could say. i'm going to try and do a diorama based on a scene from the movie when miller's unit moves from dog beach up to the side of a bunker, pinned down by a german machine gunner, they check out the situation with a mirror stuck to a bayonet.

i've got myself 2 classic tamiya kits for this. the 1:35 scale u.s army assault infantry kit and the smaller u.s army infantry kit. and i will just put together 4 or 5 soldiers from bits of both kits, maybe even a wee bit of customizing too. then the usual mix of dirt, stones and a bit of polystirene picked up from outside. i'm such a scavenger, lol. hey, sometimes you've gotta be.

View attachment 30363

View attachment 30364

View attachment 30365

View attachment 30366

CIMG2295.jpg

CIMG2296.jpg

CIMG2297.jpg

CIMG2300.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This will be good Bobby, nice subject. I have but an hour ago finished watching The Making of Private Ryan on a DVD I have and it shows, as well as the beach landing, the very scene you are building and how they did it.

Keep the pictures of the progress coming..

Ron

R

rogue-one

@ ron. i'd like to see that. i might have to pop out and buy that. my dvd is just the movie (orignal maybe). i've take'n picture stills of the scene bit by bit and was going to work from them. but as well as a homage, i'd like the dio to stand out as a good wee model of part of the action and chaos of normandy invasion.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sounds great to me bobby, looking forward to seeing it progress, cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

Probably my favourite war movie and one of the most powerful moments in the film. This should make a cracking diorama.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
@ ron. i'd like to see that. i might have to pop out and buy that. my dvd is just the movie (orignal maybe). i've take'n picture stills of the scene bit by bit and was going to work from them. but as well as a homage, i'd like the dio to stand out as a good wee model of part of the action and chaos of normandy invasion.
Bobby, the 'making of' DVD is part of a Special Edition 2 disk set of Saving P.R., so I don't know if you can get just the one disk.

If you can't get it, I can lend it to you. Just P.M. me if you want to....It's been a cracking reference for my beach dio. so it would be great for your build.

The thing is, I know I would get it back 'cos otherwise the whole of Scale Models would get to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Cheers,

Ron

R

rogue-one

\ said:
Bobby, the 'making of' DVD is part of a Special Edition 2 disk set of Saving P.R., so I don't know if you can get just the one disk.If you can't get it, I can lend it to you. Just P.M. me if you want to....It's been a cracking reference for my beach dio. so it would be great for your build.

The thing is, I know I would get it back 'cos otherwise the whole of Scale Models would get to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Cheers,

Ron
ha ha haa ha, i'd be out-cast. lol. thanks for offering ron, i'll leave it the now and work on it from my photo's. i've got some good one's, but if i think i need more visual information i'll defo take you up on that. i'll post a few of the pics up on here and folk that havn't seen the movie can see what i'm doing and how it compares.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just come to me what the scene you are doing is. I cant say its the best scene in the whole film as the whole film was bloody good. Its going to be a good theme for a dio that's for sure.

Ian M

R

rogue-one

View attachment 23832View attachment 23831View attachment 23830View attachment 23828View attachment 23829View attachment 23827hey there. just posting up a few of the pics of the scene i'm try to represent in my diorama. i dont know if i'll get it perfect, i'm just working with what i've got but like i said earlyier in the thread, i'd like it to be a nice wee dio on it own ( i'm probably saying this incase it all goes horribly wrong,lol). i can only try.

View attachment 30419

View attachment 30420

View attachment 30421

View attachment 30422

View attachment 30423

View attachment 30424

CIMG2285.jpg

CIMG2281.jpg

CIMG2287.jpg

CIMG2294.jpg

CIMG2282.jpg

CIMG2283.jpg

R

rogue-one

figures build.

hey there. finally got some spare time to get to work on my firgures. made up 6 in total to equal the characters from the movie clip. there was a fare wee bit of customizing needed so there was a lot of fiddling about but i think i've got some good positions. 2 of the figures had to be cut up in the arms and legs then re-positioned and gaps filled with putty. a knife with mirror and sniper rifle where then added to what is miller and jackson. i also had to make up a few backpacks for them coz the kits only had 4 of them. then ofcourse i added the rifle straps, helmet straps and finally small bits of material to the cpt and sgt's arms to incorporate the idea of paper armbands covering their markings. i still have to give 3 of the helmets net covers and straps but i'm gonna leave that till i've paint them with the suitable markings. sadly i think my camera is giving up the ghost so the pics aren't the best. i will give all the figures an undercoat and try and take good clear photo's and post them up shortly.

View attachment 30501

View attachment 30502

View attachment 30503

View attachment 30504

View attachment 30505

View attachment 30506

View attachment 30507

View attachment 30508

View attachment 30509

View attachment 30510

View attachment 30511

View attachment 30512

View attachment 30513

View attachment 30514

View attachment 30515

View attachment 30516

View attachment 30517

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic15.jpg

pic16.jpg

pic17.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks good already bobby, nice work on the figure conversions , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
No probs mate, the quality of the work on everyones normandy GB entries is phenomenal, im just in awe of the very high standards , (kind of glad that im not doing anything for the GB, bit too busy ,and trying to get the stash down a bit before buying anything else!! Plus , My efforts with figures etc arent that good !!LOL) cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What a transformation Bobby, those figures look really good. It's nice to see there is someone else apart from me and Paul that gets a sadistic buzz out of chopping figures about!

This has all the makings of a top notch diorama. keep it up!

Ron

R

rogue-one

cheers andy, cheers ron, yeah, it's the first time i've try'd fully cutting up figures. quite hard, but i like it. i like the idea of being able to completely change figures to suit. makes a difference.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you certainly got those bent into shape! I was comparing the pictures of your figures with the photos from the DVD. Looks like you nailed it!

Ian M

R

rogue-one

cheers Ian, just got to try and nail the surrounding battle area now. not to sure how it's ment to be, might have to use a bit of creative license

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Fair do's Bobby, the figures are really well done with excellent poses.

A little bit of advise...

I wouldn't go down the road of exactitudes, trying to get it exactly like the still images. You might find yourself fiddling about with the diorama and getting frustrated.

Just the soldiers against the concrete of the bunker would be ace on it's own, with perhaps a bit of barbed wire ect., in the forground, so I wouldn't worry too much about the surroundings.

Let it develop and flow and keep it simple.

Here endeth the lesson!! lol

Ron

R

rogue-one

ha ha, cheers ron. yeah, i think thats how i'm going to approach it. i know already from the artwork i do far to well that try to get things exact can make you work too hard and get frustrated, lol.