"to do and die"

R

rogue-one

after trailing the internet and shops i found it hard to get good barbedwire but being skint and cheap i decided to make my own. then last minute,i found this great stuff in a war games shop called battlefields razorwire ( photo below). quite a long roll of it too, 250cm worth. i used that and some fusewire to work together and make up plenty of barbedwire for the dio to choose from. i also used some twigs tied together to make up some barbwire stands. question tho... does anyone know how the barbedwire rolls would be attached to the bunker roof in real life?

View attachment 30658

View attachment 30659

View attachment 30660

View attachment 30661

View attachment 30662

View attachment 30663

CIMG2338.jpg

CIMG2337.jpg

CIMG2336.jpg

CIMG2339.jpg

CIMG2340.jpg

CIMG2335.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking work Bobby, very realistic and good scrounging too!

I have seen photos my son took of bunkers in Normandy and there are things that look like small 'eyelets' let into the concrete roofs and walls at intervals. Could be for cammo netting too perhaps?

We have all seen the German soldiers rolling the stuff out freehand so I reckon it's up to you...

Perhaps someone on here has the deffinitive answer....

Keep those pictures coming.

Ron

R

rogue-one

bunker wall.

i've spent the weekend getting stuck into my bunker wall for the scene. it all went fine apart from one crazy mistake that almost sent me back to the start. i cut away at the polystrene making the suitable shape and size. glued some thin cut lengths of card to the front ( to get it like the one in my photo's). then covered it in filler. then glued in some bits of 30amp fusewire to make up the metal frame work showing after battle damage. lastly, i started painting it (this is where it almost went wrong). i give the whole thing a spray with primer but straight away it started to melt into the polystrene (ahhhhhh). i stopped painting and left it to settle, then filled in the melted gaps with filler, let it dry, then re-painted it all with acrylic paint by brush. now it seems to be fine. i've painted most of it up. i think it's looking good. i'll give it a wee bit more weathering once i start putting the dio together.

View attachment 30686

View attachment 30687

CIMG2342.jpg

CIMG2343.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You think it's looking good? Bobby, that is one nice bit of concrete!

Very nicely sculptured and painted.

I reckon the 'melt down' has given it a better finish. Nice steelwork too.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Bobby

I sense a real masterpiece brewing! Great work on the concrete

Just a thought (and I may be wrong) but isn't razor wire , as apposed to barbed wire, a more modern invention?

Anyway, fabulous work and I'm looking forward to this immensely.

Paul

R

rogue-one

hi paul. the wee pack is called razor wire but really it's just thin wire wrapped around wire. does look anything like razor wire or barbed wire really but i think it works.

R

rogue-one

coming together.

been busy working away on the dio base all week. and it's all coming together now. i used polysterne cut to size and shape for the sand mounds then covered it all in filler. glued the bunker wall down. added rocks, wee bits of fur for grass, bits of brush for reeds and glued down the wooden wire frames with the barbed wire. still got to paint it all up and add all the sand and dirt. and give the wire a weathered look. but you can see how it's all gonna look now.

View attachment 30958

View attachment 30959

View attachment 30960

View attachment 30961

View attachment 30962

View attachment 30963

View attachment 30964

View attachment 30965

CIMG2345.jpg

CIMG2352.jpg

CIMG2346.jpg

CIMG2348.jpg

CIMG2349.jpg

CIMG2350.jpg

CIMG2351.jpg

CIMG2347.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hey! That looks really good. Not sure about the arm and leg at the very edge of the base though.

Barbed wire. The only good way to get it is to make it!!! Find some electrical wire, the multi strand type and strip it right out and then take two single strands of equal length. Lay one aside. Then take some more single strand and wrap it two times around one of the long wires, fix it with a tiny drop of CA. repeat along the length every cm. yes its boring and time consuming but you can make loads at a time. Trim the ends of the bits you have just tied on to an acceptable length. Now the fun part. Fix the end of the long wire with the barbs to a weight. I use a fishing weigh. Then tie the wire with out barbs on to the same weight..Carefully turn the weight and spin the wires together. Not to tight, you just want them to spin together to hold the barbs.

If You used steel or tinned wire, it will just look like new barbed wire. If you use copper wire, spray it with very thin primer and then rust colours to taste.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Ooooo, this is looking nice. Good choice of figures, the poses are just perfect

R

rogue-one

cheers ian. the arm and leg at the bottom is just half a dying or dead soldier appearing in on the dio from the edge. when the frame is on it will make sence, i hope,lol. i just felt the beach ground was a bit empty. as i progress, i'll see if i change my mind, then maybe take it away or not.

R

rogue-one

right. after looking at my photo's posted on here, the barbed wire is anoying me. i feel it just didnt look good anough. i've took ian's advise and tip and decided to make more of my own with copper wire and get rid of the razorwire stuff i bought (maybe it wasnt such a smart buy). like ron says, it is a lot of fiddily work but i feel its worth it for realistic wire. after making some of it, i like it! i defo think it's better.

View attachment 30994

View attachment 30995

CIMG2354.jpg

CIMG2356.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bobby, that's cracking barbed wire and so much better than the razor wire or any bought stuff, as Ian so rightly points out!

This is going to be one superb diorama, keep it up.

Incidently, and without boring the pants off anyone, razor wire or tape to give it it's correct title had it's first recorded use in WW1., when towards the end of the war there became a cronic shortage of wire. It also proved very easy and quick to manufacture due to it simply being punched out of a thin steel band.

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Bobby, that's cracking barbed wire and so much better than the razor wire or any bought stuff, as Ian so rightly points out! This is going to be one superb diorama, keep it up.

Incidently, and without boring the pants off anyone, razor wire or tape to give it it's correct title had it's first recorded use in WW1., when towards the end of the war there became a cronic shortage of wire. It also proved very easy and quick to manufacture due to it simply being punched out of a thin steel band.

Cheers,

Ron
To which I would like to add razor tape is 100 times worse that barbed wire. Harder to cut. (Almost) impenetrable, and if you just lay a coat over it your coat will just get cut to ribbons as the name suggests the new stuff is razor sharp.

Ian M

R

rogue-one

hi everyone. sorry but i havnt been able to get anything done to my diorama this week, been caught up in work all week and weekend :sad:

looks like i'm gonna be working heavily this week to but i'll try and get some paintwork done and post up pics a.s.a.p

F

Fenlander

No worries Bobby. I have been painting a 1:1 scale bungalow hall all weekend. No chance of weathering it lol. Not done a single bit of modelling for a few days, it happens to us all ;)

R

rogue-one

squeezing some work in.

hey there folks. hope everyones good. just posting up a wee bit of work that i've squeezed in on my free time, just to reasure ya that i'm still alive, lol. i've given the ground on my dio base a quick paint so when i add the sand and dirt it still got colour underneath. and painted the grass and reeds. then i made a start on my figures. i've just started giving them there first paint of colours. still plenty to do to get them looking right, give them a light ink wash, add the lighter colours, then high lights, paint on the suitable markings, and give them a wee weathering (bit of dirtyness and sand covered). am getting there.

ohhh, and i've added a wee creative light photo just to tease ya and keep you interested, lol.

View attachment 31521

View attachment 31522

View attachment 31523

View attachment 31524

View attachment 31525

View attachment 31526

View attachment 31527

View attachment 31528

View attachment 31529

View attachment 31530

CIMG2369.jpg

CIMG2374.jpg

CIMG2370.jpg

CIMG2373.jpg

CIMG2376.jpg

CIMG2377.jpg

CIMG2378.jpg

CIMG2379.jpg

CIMG2380.jpg

CIMG2381.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Bobby. I'm sure this will be great when its all done!

The creative lighting worked well.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is looking very impressive Bobby, the poses are really good, as is the concrete. In fact the whole thing is coming together very nicely now.

Glad to see you're going to weather the figures. They have had a bit of a rough time to reach the bunker wall, so no shiney bits!! lol

Well done.

Ron