Tommy1drops Panther G's

T

tommy1drop

These are the two I'm building for this group build.

They are both Panther G's, the Tamiya version is the Panther G early, and the Dragon is the steel wheeled version.

I'm going to be building these at the same time, so I will update as the builds get going ;)

FB_IMG_1470738458391.jpg

FB_IMG_1470738430321.jpg

D

dubster72

Always nice to see more Panthers Tom! :smiling3: I know the Tamiya one builds into a nice model, albeit lacking certain features like weld seams.

Watch out for the  'Dragon' kit though. If I'm not much mistaken, the mould is actually from Gunze Sangyo. DML took inherited the GS moulds back in their fledgling days & some need very careful assembly.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Two awesome kits imo, though "Dragons" can have YOU breathing fire over fit problems >:sad:  Building a Dragon Imperial Series SU76 and had to cut lip for mounting fenders off because tracks would not fit onto track support rollers :S  Will be watching you progress..........Cheers...Jim :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will be watching these two builds,Tommy do like the panthers as well, 9_9

I do have one of these in my stash as well,but after reading ,the comments from,Patrick,Jim,I hope its

not the Dragon,kit,wish you luck,and if you run into problems sure someone will be able to help, 9_9

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tommy

Looking forward to what you'll make of these. The Tamiya kit is a classic and I'vs always found adding weld seams and hull texture as part of the fun in building a model. I've never built the Dragon steel wheeled version but it should build up into a nice example of a late war Panther and give you the opportunity to paint different camouflage 

Will you be building 135 as per the box art? I only ask this as my large scale Panther, and possibly the 1/35 early G may be built to represent this particular 12SS tank.

Looking forward to the progress

Paul

T

tommy1drop

Hi Patrick nice to have you along fella ;)  I've built one of the Dragon Panthers(albeit the Gunze Sangyo version) and if memory serves me right, it wasn't that bad of a build, although there was a bit of a fit issue with the two halves of the hull.

Nice to have you along Jim, will welcome any advice and input mate  :smiling3:

Hi Monica, will let you know if I come across any issues with the Dragon Panther, if they turn out half as nice as any of your builds, I'll be more than happy, nice to have you along ;)

Hi Paul thanks for that and happy to have you along mate, not sure yet on the painting of these, a little undecided on how they are going to be painted, especially the camo scheme.

I've got a few books out and I'm looking for a bit of inspiration, I'm sure I'll find something that catches my eye ;)  I've also got some etch pieces, so will be adding some bits and pieces to them both, I think the tracks are going to be replaced on the Tamiya Panther, individual links will look better than the tracks supplied in the box, not a fan of the rubber band type of tracks.

T

tommy1drop

Made a start on the Tamiya Panther, with some photo etch being added and I decided to do away with the kits hull side track hangers, instead I fashioned my own using the kits hangers as templates.

I used Evergreen styrene cut to size, and added photo etch, personally I think these look better than the kit supplied parts, I also used photo etched grills and etch for the rear storage bins.

Other than that, it's slowly getting there, with more people to be added ;)

FB_IMG_1471015218671.jpg

FB_IMG_1471015510240.jpg

FB_IMG_1471015518935.jpg

FB_IMG_1471015527487.jpg

FB_IMG_1471015271429.jpg

FB_IMG_1471015244803.jpg

First Name
Stuart
Hi Tommy 

you must like a challenge building two kits at the same time.

i am sure both kits are without their flaws but I am certain you will make a great job of them no matter what problems you come across.

it will be good to see them side by side as you progress through the build,looking forward to it.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Tommy,the hooks do look good,I like them,and the grill cover do also,make a big difference, :D

T

tommy1drop

Bit more done on the Tamiya Panther, I added more photo etch, also joined the two hull halves together and added a few Dragon Panther spares to the kit.

The turret was started and isn't far off finished, really enjoyed this Kitty, it's goes together with ease, and is a complete joy to build ;)

FB_IMG_1471456084313.jpg Www

FB_IMG_1471456118774.jpg

FB_IMG_1471456111376.jpg

FB_IMG_1471456104041.jpg

FB_IMG_1471456047110.jpg

FB_IMG_1471456077695.jpg

FB_IMG_1471456019358.jpg

FB_IMG_1471456039876.jpg

FB_IMG_1471456091548.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Tommy,it dose have nice detail,almost makes me feel like starting one of mind lol, :D

as you said that you joined upper and lower hull,s,wont it be hard to put the tracks on ? or not glued let, 9_9

D

dubster72

That's coming along nicely Tommy, the pe really adds to the detail.

I feel the need for a Panther now!