Too late for my build?

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
As some of you might know I’m currently building an AFV Club Centurion. The build phase is done and I’m now chucking paint at it but something has been niggling away at the back of my mind that something was missing. I put the bottom part of the box inside the lid and don’t usually let the box art see light of day again until I’m finished, however I was having a tidy round and put the box lid back on properly and saw what it was that had been my niggle, the mantlet has a canvas? type cover on it that’s not modelled on the kit.

IMG_3281.jpeg
I’ve no idea how I could do this now.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
As some of you might know I’m currently building an AFV Club Centurion. The build phase is done and I’m now chucking paint at it but something has been niggling away at the back of my mind that something was missing. I put the bottom part of the box inside the lid and don’t usually let the box art see light of day again until I’m finished, however I was having a tidy round and put the box lid back on properly and saw what it was that had been my niggle, the mantlet has a canvas? type cover on it that’s not modelled on the kit.

View attachment 504947
I’ve no idea how I could do this now.
Mick, I suggest self-adhesive reflective foil- the type heating engineers use. It will stay put and give you realistic creases, and if you don't like it it will come offagain.
I would put a long strip all the way round, just a little deeper than the mantlet. Then a full-width rectangle with hole cut in it for the barrel, then a on top of that a smaller rectangle with a hole in it. You could probably split that at the bottom and join it together in situ as per the seams on the illustration.
then a thin strip around the edge with the rivets or press studs or whatever.
Simples.... :tongue-out3:

Last edited:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Mick, I suggest self-adhesive reflective foil- the type heating engineers use. It will stay put and give you realistic creases, and if you don't like it it will come offagain.
I would put a long strip all the way round, just a little deeper than the mantlet. Then a full-width rectangle with hole cut in it for the barrel, then a on top of that a smaller rectangle with a hole in it. You could probably split that at the bottom and join it together in situ as per the seams on the illustration.
then a thin strip around the edge with the rivets or press studs or whatever.
Simples.... :tongue-out3:
Anyway swiftly deleting post thanks Neil

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The lack of a canvas cover is one of the main points where the AFV Club Centurions let the builder down — most Centurions had the cover on at all times, but they want you to either make your own, or buy the ones they sell separately:

Mantlet Cover for Centurion (Type A).jpgMantlet Cover for Centurion (Type B).jpg

Which one you need depends on which mantlet you fitted to your model: you need the “Type A” if you put on the one with the two coaxial machine guns (actually a coax and a ranging MG), else the “Type B”.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
The lack of a canvas cover is one of the main points where the AFV Club Centurions let the builder down — most Centurions had the cover on at all times, but they want you to either make your own, or buy the ones they sell separately:

View attachment 504951View attachment 504952

Which one you need depends on which mantlet you fitted to your model: you need the “Type A” if you put on the one with the two coaxial machine guns (actually a coax and a ranging MG), else the “Type B”.
Thanks for that Jakko now I know it should be there it looks unfinished, better find a type B then

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Should may be overstating it a bit, but most Centurions had those covers. It wouldn’t be absolutely wrong to leave it off, though.