Tools & Materials-Various types of saws.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Despite the advent of power tools model builders still need a selection of suitable hand saws,here are a few that have served me well in my own workshop-

Razor saw-The original X-Acto razor saw has been much copied since it first appeared on the market,the thin versatile blade will hack through anything from brass tube to plastics and wood,they last a long time if like all similar tools are looked after.

Keyhole saw-single long blade which will cut internal holes once a pilot hole has been introduced,useful for cutting in confined spaces even when the model has been assembled,a useful tool that can sometimes tackle jobs that other saws will not look at.

Hacksaw-Well known cheap general purpose metal cutting saw,do youself a favour and ditch the cheap blades that bend and twist in the frame,buy best quality blades by companies such as Eclipse etc.

Fretsaw-Still useful if you need to do some internal cutting away from a power source such as the workshop,use in conjunction with a wooden 'V' board,buy good blades,also suitable as a piercing saw with the correct metal cutting blades.

Coping saw-Similar to a fretsaw but for heavier tasks,can really hack through heavy blocks of wood.

Tenon saw-You can buy miniature versions of those large tenon saws used in woodwork,use in conjunction with a mitre block if possible.

Well there are the few that I personally find most useful,there are probably others that you have ? if so why not tell us about them ?