Tornado ADV - 1/48 Hobby Boss

C

Caledonia

Have been looking forward to the release of this kit for some time since doing the Revell 1/72 Tornado GR4. Looks a clean moulding with subtle recessed panel lines and rivets. Have shown a close-up of the cockpit tub and instrument panels. A little disappointed that the instrument panels do not have the gauge needles etc moulded, my recent TF-104G Starfighter did, which allowed drybrushing to liven it up.

As you can see 3 decal options are provided I will be doing the standard RAF Grey (sorry Tony) but these aircraft get real dirty in service so there is plenty of scope for some heavy weathering to make it more interesting.

Will let you know how I get on. Cheers Derek

View attachment 24954

View attachment 24955

View attachment 24956

View attachment 24957

View attachment 24958

View attachment 24959

View attachment 24960

View attachment 24961

View attachment 24962

View attachment 24963

View attachment 24964

View attachment 24965

1-Tornado.jpg

2-Tornado.jpg

3-Tornado.jpg

4-Tornado.jpg

5-Tornado.jpg

6-Tornado.jpg

7-Tornado.jpg

8-Tornado.jpg

9-Tornado.jpg

10-Tornado.jpg

11-Tornado.jpg

12-Tornado.jpg

F

Fenlander

Here are a few pics that show a RAF Tornado with a bit of wear and dirt.

You can clearly see the dirt going up from the base of the tail

A close up of that paint flaking, and it is flaking not chipped or worn, off the leading edge of the starboard wing

Nice 'airflow' staining around the, what I assume' is a gun port. Note the obvious liquid staining running down as well.

Lastly, I was amazed at the crudity of the wires coming out of the plugs in this shot, I would have thought they would have been well wrapped up.

Hope these are of some interest Derek.

T

T. van Vuuren

Interesting to see the paint flake off like that. looks like the primer has failed.

Theuns

F

Fenlander

Hard to tell in the pic but that is bare metal underneath.

T

T. van Vuuren

Could be one of those transparent epoxy wash primers perhaps.Interestin to see the dirt streaks on the last 3 rivets of the pannel just aft the Stainless steel.It looks like flush haed rivets, yet there in enough of a raised edge to form a bit of a dam for the dirt.

That just goes to show that we modlesr tend to want to make projects to "perfect"

Theuns

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh I rather fancy the Fire bird.

The dirt on the base of the tail is exhaust soot from the reversers...

Will be watching your progress on this one too!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great derek,like ian i was drawn straightaway to the firebirds option , whatever im sure it will be great , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Ian, Tony, sorry to disappoint but am sticking to the RAF Grey Aircraft since it is fron No. 43 Sqd at Leuchars. Usually like to keep the profile clean i.e. no deployed airbrakes etc. but plan to have everything deployed this time. My Royal Navy Phantom kit came with two crew, which you were not supposed to use, and the aires cockpit prevented this, so if they fit I will use them here. If this is possible I will also look at shortening the front undercarriage so it looks like the Tornado is braking heavily.

If anyone is planning to build a 1/48 Tornado and wants the Firebirds decals, drop me a PM and I will post them - first come first served. Cheers Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Interesting to see the paint flake off like that. looks like the primer has failed.Theuns
That's what you get when your base is right on the coastline. Lossie is a harsh environment with salt water and sand playing a big part in paint errosion.

The dirt going up from the base of the tail is from the thrust reverse. I worked on GR1s and GR4s for 10 years and believe me they get filthy

Also note in picture number one how the main gear doors are drooping? That's because the hydraulic pressure has dropped. We normally hae to pump the hydraulics up by hand pump to raise the canopy and operate the brakes whe moving the aircraft by tractor/towing.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Gents, the Firebirds Decals have gone to Ian M. Allyne, thanks for the info. Cheers all Derek

C

Caledonia

Hi Allyne, based on your experiences on Tornado's can you advise what colour the wheel wells were on the F3's. I am making this Tornado from No 43 Squadron, RAF Leuchars. Looking at general photos on the internet, the colour seems to be either white or light grey. The kit calls for white, but I am not sure thats right. Cheers Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I would say it's more of an off white colour (nearly cream). Probably is white when they come out of the paint shop new but the amount of dirt ad hyd oil that gets splashed around in there (not mentioning the dirty overalls of the mechs/techs) the colour soon becomes dirty.

C

Caledonia

\ said:
I would say it's more of an off white colour (nearly cream). Probably is white when they come out of the paint shop new but the amount of dirt ad hyd oil that gets splashed around in there (not mentioning the dirty overalls of the mechs/techs) the colour soon becomes dirty.
Hi Allyne, many thanks for the fast reply. I used a similar colour for the Eurofighter EF2000 I just finished, will use the same brew. Cheers Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Look at the second from last picture in the first poster on the first page of this link. Classic Tornado wheel bay

Tornado reference pictures - Britmodeller.com

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some great pictures there! can some one copy the link into the reference section. I'll never find it again other wise!!!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Look at the second from last picture in the first poster on the first page of this link. Classic Tornado wheel bayTornado reference pictures - Britmodeller.com
Hi Allyne, many thanks for the link, will be very useful. Have found some photos of the actual Tornado ZE737/YM which the kit is based on in the Airliners.net website Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Derek; I got the decals in the post todayMany thanks. They do look rather cool. S'pose I'll just have to buy a Tornado now.... ;) do you think it will have to be Hobby bosses of do you think it'll be ok on an other brand?

Thanks again,

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, glad they arrived safe and sound. Can't really answer your question, in theory only the RAF and the Saudi's flew the Tornado ADV (F3) so only Hobby Boss have the 'exact' model. The Firebirds decals were for the RAF 90th Anniv so if you go for say the Italeri IDS Kit which also carries RAF Decals I believe, there is no absolute guarantee that they will fit as obviously they will have different tooling and may interperate scale differently. I don't know if the IDS cockpit is any different from the ADV cockpit this would probably the biggest potential problem area. If your budget allows, the Hobby Boss looks a very good kit. I will probably make a start on it this evening. Sorry I can't be more specific. Cheers Derek

Last edited: