Tornado ADV - 1/48 Hobby Boss

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That'll be the spraymatting that i was on about. Not an offical tint but at the right angle can give that appearance

C

Caledonia

Thanks for clearing that point up Allyne. Cheers Derek

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Back again, have been concentrating on the wing module this week. I am locking the swing wing in position, since I am deploying the slats/flaps/spoilers. As you can see a few pin holes on the wing spoiler underside that needed filling. Have made the fuel tank and missile rails but leaving them off until I paint the underside, which is a different grey in places than the top sides. Must repeat myself by saying Hobby Boss have done an excellent job in moulding the Flaps/spoilers etc. I will be showing the Airbrakes at the tail deployed, but am leaving them off just now until the tail module is fitted; I will be starting the tail module later today. Overall so far everything has been a reasonably good fit, although a dry fit of the cockpit module to the wing module suggests some filing and filling will be required. Cheers Derek

p.s. Allyne, doing some tests just now, and if successful will give the windscreen a slight tint, to make the model more interesting.

View attachment 25637

View attachment 25638

View attachment 25639

View attachment 25640

View attachment 25641

View attachment 25642

View attachment 25643

View attachment 25644

27-Tornado.jpg

28-Tornado.jpg

29-Tornado.jpg

30-Tornado.jpg

31-Tornado.jpg

32-Tornado.jpg

33-Tornado.jpg

34-Tornado.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
When doing the flaps if you've seen some pics like this http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/march/galleria/walkaround/walk_013.jpg with those little bits of clean metal on the top flap section, that is where the earthing forks rub/make contact with the flaps. The forks themselves are a very dark grey colour. This is common on all Tornados

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rather enjoying this build. I am sitting looking at a big box on my desk with exactly the same inside!!!

I can only second Dereks comments, the moldings and detail are very good.

Keep up the good work Derek, and Allyn, keep those pictures comming they are of great help to people like me that have never had the good fortune to see on in the flesh!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

\ said:
When doing the flaps if you've seen some pics like this http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/march/galleria/walkaround/walk_013.jpg with those little bits of clean metal on the top flap section, that is where the earthing forks rub/make contact with the flaps. The forks themselves are a very dark grey colour. This is common on all Tornados
Thanks for the info Allyne, will incorporate at the painting stage. Wonder if you can answer a silly question please. On the reverse thrust buckets, is the inside surface sooted or heat discoloured metal? Many thanks Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sooted around the sides and heat discoloured in the middle

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Sooted around the sides and heat discoloured in the middle
Thanks again Allyne for your continued support, hope my model will eventually live up to your expectations. Cheers Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
All that matters is that you are happy with it. That's what modelling is about. Enjoyment for yourself. If i can help in that process then all the better. Just glad i can :smiling3:

C

Caledonia

A few shots of my progress since my last posting. The taileron joint is very weak, as you find in most of these kits, so strengthened it up by adding additional adhesive. As expected the cockpit and the wing modules were not a particularly good fit, so have had to use filler. The instructions lack clarity in many areas, so have added some close-ups of the underarriages as I found this area poorly addressed in the instructions; may help anyone doing this kit. The undercarriage feels a bit slender for the size of the model, metal parts would have been better. Plan to go over all the joints and surfaces for a final tidy up before priming. Added 25g of ballast to the Radome, to be on the safe side. Cheers Derek

View attachment 25736

View attachment 25737

View attachment 25738

View attachment 25739

View attachment 25740

View attachment 25741

View attachment 25742

View attachment 25743

View attachment 25744

35-Tornado.jpg

36-Tornado.jpg

37-Tornado.jpg

38-Tornado.jpg

39-Tornado.jpg

40-Tornado.jpg

41-Tornado.jpg

42-Tornado.jpg

43-Tornado.jpg

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Lookin good. Nice to see a Tornado with the intake panels open just like if the engines are running :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like you are almost there where the paint starts flying. Looking real good. I must admit that I am finding it hard to keep my fingers off mine. I must also say that the info comming from Allyne is also proveing to be very usefull stuff.

Now not being a 100% jet convertie yet, just what colour is burnt metal. I'm going to guess a sort of blue-brown sort of thing.... Any info there would be great.

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ian. The burnt metal effect on the reverse thrust buckets is a sort of brown/dark blue/purple effect. The buckets are made out of titanium hence why they colour different from steel/aluminium

C

Caledonia

Thanks Gents for your interest, Ian, there was a photo in the U.K. press on the 25 June this year of a Tornado flying low over the Welsh Mountains, and someone took a photo showing the Navigator holding up a piece of card with 'Im with stupid' pointing to the Pilot. I kept the photo as it showed how dirty a Tornado gets as flounder_al said earlier. Anyway it also showed the colour of the reverse thrust buckets, see below, sorry about the quality but it's a photo of part of a newspaper. Hope this helps Derek

p.s. i was in a Hobby Craft shop this morning and picked up a bottle of Citadel Wash 'Asurmen Blue' which I hope I can make look like violet, never done this before, so will have to do a lot of practicing.

View attachment 25762

DSCN2062.jpg

F

Fenlander

Not a Tornado but this gives an idea of the amount of colours heat generates. This is the back burner of a Super Sabre. I would think that the banding is due to constructional methods, i.e. where parts come closest to the outer skin of the aircraft. Because of this, they will differ greatly between different aircraft. However, it does represent the different shades from dark steel through gold to almost indigo with every purple in between.

As a side note, Alclad do just about all these shades for hot metal, but down that road, madness lays in wait.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Graham but I'll pass on the Alclad. The website Aircraft Resource Center shows today a brave man who has replicated the banding in your photo very well on his Super Sabre F-100C 1/48. Quite fancy doing an F-100 some day. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some good referances there! Would love to see the whole photo "I'm with stupid"... Wonder if google can find it?

Ian M

Yep! well sort of Google Image Result for http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/184287-raf-crewman-holds-up-im-with-stupid-sign-410x230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

\ said:
Some good referances there! Would love to see the whole photo "I'm with stupid"... Wonder if google can find it?Ian M

Yep! well sort of Google Image Result for http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/184287-raf-crewman-holds-up-im-with-stupid-sign-410x230.jpg
This is a GR4? but a useful photo none the less. Cheers Derek

View attachment 25840

DSCN2080.jpg

C

Caledonia

Here is the progress to date. Tried a new way (for me) of holding the small parts for painting by super gluing them to empty sprues, makes handling much easier, and the glue snaps off easily. The kit says to paint the underside of the fuselage, wings, undercarriages, wheel wells and taileron white, but I have changed this to Gunze H333 - Light Aircraft Grey which has a hint of cream through it. Masked off these areas with a combination of cooking foil, Tamiya tape and Humbrol Maskol as you can see. I changed the colour of the upper fuselage to Lifecolor UA 027 (FS36320) - Dark Compass Ghost Grey, as most of the photos I have seen suggests that the Grey has a hint of blue. For the Radome I used Lifecolor UA 079 (FS36314) Barley Grey as suggested in the kit. For the wing roots I used Citadel Mithril Silver. All the above was used straight from the 'can'. Am waiting 24 hrs before applying a coat of Micro Gloss before applying the Decals and 'dirtying' the model. I will be away for about a week, so will not be posting anymore till the end of the Month. Cheers Derek

View attachment 25870

View attachment 25871

View attachment 25872

View attachment 25873

View attachment 25874

View attachment 25875

View attachment 25876

44-Tornado.jpg

45-Tornado.jpg

46-Tornado.jpg

47-Tornado.jpg

48-Tornado.jpg

49-Tornado.jpg

50-Tornado.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking really great. Have a good holiday(?) and look forwards to seing her get dirty.

Ian M