Tracked vehicle

B

Bunkerbarge

I had a chance to have a look around this yesterday so I thought I would crop a bit out of a picture and offer it up for anyone who can guess what it is. It would make an amazing model but it would take a very brave man to scratch build one.

View attachment 72298

P1010822.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks a bit small to be one of the Saturn V transporters, but maybe a smaller rocket?

Gern

0ne48thtel

Is it a moveable conveyer for quarrying or somethibg along those lines

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is the Apollo and shuttle crawler by the looks of it, one of a pair. 1 mph loaded and 2 mph with load, takes 5 hours approx to get from the VAB to the launch complex.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDW

Yep, that looks like the crawler .....

Edu-craft diversions do a 1/144 kit for about 25 dollars.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Yep, that looks like the crawler .....Edu-craft diversions do a 1/144 kit for about 25 dollars.
That's interesting Colin, thanks for that.

0ne48thtel

I couldn't have been any wider of the mark if I had tried o_O

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
That is the Apollo and shuttle crawler by the looks of it, one of a pair. 1 mph loaded and 2 mph with load, takes 5 hours approx to get from the VAB to the launch complex.Si:smiling3:
Imagine being the driver !!And i think ive got it bad getting delayed in the roadworks on the M62!!! This combination is probably the worlds fastest manned vehicle on top of the worlds slowest !!!

B

Bunkerbarge

I hadn't thought of it that way Tony but you are right and the transporter actually has a worse consumption than a large cruise liner to achieve it's speed. There is now a Shuttle simulator at the Visitor's Centre and I must admit to being surprised that it reaches 17,500 mph before it drops the fuel tank. I had no idea it was that fast.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some good photos Richard, but don't you think they would sit better in the chat section.... :smiling3:

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

I thought the pictures in this section were a resource for modellers to refer to in assisting them build thier models so that's why I put them here. They would be lost in the Chat section.

First Name
Andy
Why do they have grass in the centre of the road...o_O

Amazing photos to, thank you Richard... :smiling3:

Just how big would the 1/144 kit actually be, this is where I get lost when it come to the different sizes in modelling...:confused:

C

CDW

Its 131ft long by 114ft wide so that would be approx

10.5ins x 9.5ins at 144th scale

Unless airfix made it then it would be 12 x14 including flash :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Its 131ft long by 114ft wide so that would be approx10.5ins x 9.5ins at 144th scale

Unless airfix made it then it would be 12 x14 including flash :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
Tut tut Colin its not flash. Its Airfix's way of supplying the modeller with plenty of plastic to fill any small gaps in there superior kits

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Why do they have grass in the centre of the road...o_O
The two tracks fit the width of the transporter so I can only suppose it is unecessarily expensive to finish the road along the middle when it will never be used. An interesting fact that might be a bit less known is the fact that the road is finished with a round pebble gravel. The gravel is supposed to be of a fairly consistent diameter and is designed to settle as the tracks pass over it to ensure the best distribution of weight across the track.

C

CDW

Looks a complicated beast Richard..... The kit does seem to capture it though which is quite impressive.