Trailer for a truck

S

Stevekir

http://www.revell.com/germany/trucks/80-7455.html

I would be interested in this kit, but it does not come with a trailer to complete it, and I can't find one. Any ideas please?

I suppose I could have a go at scratch building one (if I could find a suitable photo) but the wheels would be difficult (unless I got spares of the truck wheels from Revell.)

Or the Iveco (but I am smitten by the detail on the Peterbilt):

http://www.revell.com/germany/trucks/80-7423.html

Or some other kit maker's truck in 1/16, (or 1/24 (no smaller).

T

Tibbs

One of my future builds will be a truck and trailer, the cab i will get in kit form, but will scratch build the trailer, for a living i build double and triple expanding outside broadcasting trailers for the media buisness, and one of my goals is to do a scale version...... Would like to start it in a year or so, but need much more experience in modelling before i tackle this project, but i hope you get this so i can follow it and take notes;)

J

John Rixon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMT-Model-Kit-Peerless-Logging-Trailer-Roadrunner-1-25-Scale-AMT628-New-/121356274119?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item1c4165c9c7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMT-1-25-Fruehauf-Flatbed-Trailer-617-/331369242762?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item4d2725608a

Looks like you're going to have to pay top dollar for them...

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
a long time ago revell did a neat car transporter trailer, long ago deleted from the range, was quite expensive when i scored one years ago, but it builds up into a great display

thing is i believe that 2015 is the year it gets reintroduced ;) and of course you have an excuse to build half a dozen cars too ;)

J

John Huggins

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models/plastic-models/ Try then they have a nice renge.

John

S

Stevekir

\ said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMT-Model-Kit-Peerless-Logging-Trailer-Roadrunner-1-25-Scale-AMT628-New-/121356274119?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item1c4165c9c7http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMT-1-25-Fruehauf-Flatbed-Trailer-617-/331369242762?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item4d2725608a

Looks like you're going to have to pay top dollar for them...
Thanks. The low loader gives me an idea for scratch building one. Not too difficult. I could do a good job on the structural steel and then build lots of detailed items for the load—bricks, steel beams, boxes, etc. and a small crane to lift them off. Or even a house being moved to a new location as happens in the USA and Australia.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
a long time ago revell did a neat car transporter trailer, long ago deleted from the range, was quite expensive when i scored one years ago, but it builds up into a great displaything is i believe that 2015 is the year it gets reintroduced ;) and of course you have an excuse to build half a dozen cars too ;)
Wow! The truck plus transporter is spectacular. But 6 car models. Whew!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Thanks. The low loader gives me an idea for scratch building one. Not too difficult. I could do a good job on the structural steel and then build lots of detailed items for the load—bricks, steel beams, boxes, etc. and a small crane to lift them off. Or even a house being moved to a new location as happens in the USA and Australia.
Yup, that should be relatively straightforward, and ultimately really rewarding! There's a wealth of visual reference out there!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The 1/14 trailer from Tamiya often get put back of 1/16 cabs and no one notices....they are not cheap though.

I would suggest that you go for the 1/24 cab. Loads of trailers for those. Check Italeri out..

http://italeri.com/categoria.asp?orderby=uscitaDesc&pp=1&scala=0&periodo=0&nazione=0&decals=0&linea=0&skill=999&filtroAttivo=no&idSottocategoria=34&idCategoria=7&visualizzazione=1

They even do spare tyres and a trucker set with figures and tools....

Ian M

S

Stevekir

I have found Italeri make trucks in 1:24. Here are two that interest me:

And the trailer that I mentioned:

I could load the trailer with various engineering materials (steel beams, chains, steel pipes, coils of wire, a crate or two etc., (not the logs as illustrated). But what about matching:

A: On UK roads, would that trailer with the load I have just described, when attached to either of the trucks, match each other? By that Imean, would such a truck be used in reality to pull a low-loader trailer with engineering objects, or would they be more used to pulling a box-type trailer like we see on our roads every day? (Not very interesting—not much detail.)

B: In other words, (setting the scene in the US) would a macho square-looking American truck with its bits and pieces in full show such as exhausts etc. (like the Beowulf above) be more the type to pull a heavy load like that?

T

Tibbs

Yep, you see trucks pulling big loads on low loaders all the time, as long as it doesnt exceed the uk weight limit (40 tons or there abouts)..... Engineering materials, JCB's.... We use an extendable low loader at work to transport our mobile hospital wards (15-18 long) all round europe.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think for effect you might want to find a Euro cab with double rear axle for pulling heavy loads.

I rather fancy building one of the newer (here) double pulls. Cab trailer and trailer.....

If you want a real impact, there are always the Aussie road trains... Cab and four, five, six trailers. ....

What about an Iveco or Scannia with a low loader with a Chieftain tank on it

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I think for effect you might want to find a Euro cab with double rear axle for pulling heavy loads.I rather fancy building one of the newer (here) double pulls. Cab trailer and trailer.....

If you want a real impact, there are always the Aussie road trains... Cab and four, five, six trailers. ....

What about an Iveco or Scannia with a low loader with a Chieftain tank on it

Ian M
Good idea. How about:

http://italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2064&idCategoria=7&idSottocategoria=0

View attachment 97944

0765 - scale 1 : 24

DAF 2800 NTT "Cattleman""

"The DAF Conventional Tractor was one of Europeans best looking trucks. It was developed to satisfy the needs of heavy load in rough road conditions duties. The NTT’s cabin provided outmost comfort to the driver. Our model has special features such as US-type exhaust pipes as seen on many trucks today, a large fuel tank, extra lights and a sleeper cab which makes it a very special model in the Italeri truck line. The detached sleeper cabin was something that was mainly used on long distance routes through the United States, Australia and Canada."

I have asked Italeri whether the timber trailer would fit a double-axle machine. The tractor is 29 cm long. With the 56 cm Italieri timber trailer (carrying a more complex and detailed load), the total length would be 85cm (33 inches) long. I would need a new shelf to display it. I am not a miniaturist!

It has the double rear axle and is used on European Roads (it says). It has lots of lovely guts on the outside (like the Lloyds building in London). "The detached sleeper cabin": perhaps this could be removed, that is, not modelled, for a European setting, or turned into an additional load for the trailer. A banner on the trailer "Stevekir Heavy Haulage"! A Chieftain tank sounds good. Thinking....thinking. Mustn't get carried away by over-enthusiasm.

--------- One question: are Italieri kits usually good?-----------

resize.asp.jpeg

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Wow!! That takes me back some 25yrs or so!!:rolleyes:

I built a 1/24 Kenworth Aerodyne back then, a really neat kit!! :smiling3:

Go for it, it will be a blast no matter which one you build!! ;)

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Good idea. How about:http://italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2064&idCategoria=7&idSottocategoria=0

View attachment 99413

0765 - scale 1 : 24

DAF 2800 NTT "Cattleman""

"The DAF Conventional Tractor was one of Europeans best looking trucks. It was developed to satisfy the needs of heavy load in rough road conditions duties. The NTT’s cabin provided outmost comfort to the driver. Our model has special features such as US-type exhaust pipes as seen on many trucks today, a large fuel tank, extra lights and a sleeper cab which makes it a very special model in the Italeri truck line. The detached sleeper cabin was something that was mainly used on long distance routes through the United States, Australia and Canada."

I have asked Italeri whether the timber trailer would fit a double-axle machine. The tractor is 29 cm long. With the 56 cm Italieri timber trailer (carrying a more complex and detailed load), the total length would be 85cm (33 inches) long. I would need a new shelf to display it. I am not a miniaturist!

It has the double rear axle and is used on European Roads (it says). It has lots of lovely guts on the outside (like the Lloyds building in London). "The detached sleeper cabin": perhaps this could be removed, that is, not modelled, for a European setting, or turned into an additional load for the trailer. A banner on the trailer "Stevekir Heavy Haulage"! A Chieftain tank sounds good. Thinking....thinking. Mustn't get carried away by over-enthusiasm.

--------- One question: are Italieri kits usually good?-----------
\ said:
Wow!! That takes me back some 25yrs or so!!:rolleyes:I built a 1/24 Kenworth Aerodyne back then, a really neat kit!! :smiling3:

Go for it, it will be a blast no matter which one you build!! ;)
I've gone for it, both the Cattleman truck and the timber trailer. Italeri were out of stock with the truck but Hannants had three, and the trailer. As it is for my birthday in March (several people are contributing) I have been allowed only a peek in the boxes. The quality seems very good—no flash at all and crisply moulded. The truck has a lot of parts finished in a very shiny chrome. When I started to think of a truck model I planned to put it in a dio with a rock face behind, but with the overall length of the pair being 70 cm (27 1/2 inches with the trailer coupled !), a dio to set it off properly would need to be 100 cm (40 inches) long and 50 cm (20 inches) high. Railway modellers of course do bigger than that but often have half a room devoted to their layouts. I will be able (just) to put the two models together on a shelf. Negotiations are at an early stage. Don't hold your breath. I am a very slow worker.

I was impressed with Hannants (some people here have been a bit critical of them). Their order confirmation had a puzzling piece of text. I sent them an email and got a reply in 2 hours from a human. I suggested an improvement and got another reply with that in use and thanking me for my help. Not like Italeri (who make my truck and trailer) who failed to answer an email 6 months ago and I have had to chase them about a more recent one.