Trench Sections in 1:32 scale

MikeNZ

Mike The Kiwi
First Name
Mike
THis lunchtime's progress on the Amonal charge Flimsies. I used Aluminium foil tape, which comes with an adhesive side. I put one piece over the block of cans stuck together and burnished it on with my finger nail. I trimmed round the edge and removed the unwanted bits. I then put my finger nail between the joints and finally pierced the corners with a spatula where I've rounded the edges of the cans. This way I've not had to clad then individually and waste time and energy.

View attachment 326119
The front row of the top stack was made as individual cans which were clad with the Ali tape which had been cut to size.
View attachment 326120View attachment 326121
Top front row stuck in place.
View attachment 326122
This is how they will sit on the model so you can see why I put little effort into sides which are hardly seen. I still have to add handles and spouts, I have some made but have mass-production methods for that too. (Look on page two of this thread.)
View attachment 326123
This is how far I've got with the two halves of the section.
View attachment 326124
Neat looking setup here Andy with both scenes.
Tunnelling was another area important to ANZACs because of all the miners we supplied to the Western Front. Are you planning to have a full complement of ammonal charges?
Perhaps leaving a few loose, may help give feel for all your work here.
As it's difficult to get sense of depth & detail you've meticulously replicated here.
Top scene looks very claustrophobic- spot on!
-Mike

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Top line work as always, love the clay kicker especially....

First Name
Andrew
Neat looking setup here Andy with both scenes.
Tunnelling was another area important to ANZACs because of all the miners we supplied to the Western Front. Are you planning to have a full complement of ammonal charges?
Perhaps leaving a few loose, may help give feel for all your work here.
As it's difficult to get sense of depth & detail you've meticulously replicated here.
Top scene looks very claustrophobic- spot on!
-Mike
The whole thing is very claustrophobic, which gives me challenges to squeeze it all in. The amonal charge should really all be round the corner, with sandbags filling the corner space. When the charge went off the bags would then be pushed up against the wall, rather than down the tunnel. I've brought my charge forward to give it scale, but have not put too much effort into the cans as you don't see much of them. I'll have the guys laying sandbags to 'tamp' the tunnel. This makes the explosion go up rather than back down the tunnel.
I'll have one figure in this scene and 3 in the top one.
(BinL has been transferred to HDU from ICU and all the staff are amazed at the speed of his recovery, praise God!)
Andy

MikeNZ

Mike The Kiwi
First Name
Mike
I finally got round to finishing off the Flimsies yesterday.

You can just about see the handles and spouts going back. I'll paint them differing colours to break them up a bit.
That works mate!
Could you bring them forward to edge of woodwork so you can see more of the wonderful detail & effort you've put into all these.
Would they have had any markings on mate?
-Mike?

First Name
Andrew
That works mate!
Could you bring them forward to edge of woodwork so you can see more of the wonderful detail & effort you've put into all these.
Would they have had any markings on mate?
-Mike?
I'm planning to put a row of sandbags on the space in front of them. They should be further back and the whole 'corner space' filled with sandbags to force the explosion up rather than up the tunnel. I've been making a sandbag wall to tamp (block) the passage. I'll post photos when I have them. I've not spent much time with the detail, as I expected the view to be limited.
Some of the flimsies had brand names embossed on them but most didn't.
Thanks for looking and commenting Mike.
Andy

M

Morlock

All very interesting, I can see why the French trench was considered poorly made, no fire step!

First Name
Andrew
All very interesting, I can see why the French trench was considered poorly made, no fire step!
Welcome Morlock/Michael,
They did build firesteps, but as a general rule they didn't put much effort into building strong revetment (the wall coverings). This was not the fault of the ordinary 'Poilu' but a decision from on high. The High Command wanted to recapture the land that the Germans had seized in 1914. Their thought was that, if the troops got too 'comfortable', they would loose their offensive spirit to get back the land. I've tried to show 'typical' French preference for gabions and lack of effort. The model ended up deeper than I'd intended, as they were often shallow too. The back wall (parados) is just rough chicken wire and there is no boards on the floor. The sump (drain) is pretty basic too.
Andy

Jason Crausby

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jason
Hi Andy,
just caught up with this now having been involved in a house renovation myself for the past 2 and a half years... Lots of progress since I last looked in and all of it excellent!
Jason.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy.
I like the ongoing history lesson as well as the superb modelling. Nice to read about your Brother in Law.:thumb2:
John.

First Name
Andrew
Being a 'detail' person it bugs me that this is in the 'Completed Dioramas' section when some of them obviously aren't. So I'm not going to blog progress of the uncompleted ones here. I'll start a new thread in 'Dioramas underconstruction'. I'll just use this thread when I've finished a section.

Here are the five sections that are completed so far.

781666[1].jpg

781667[1].jpg

781668[1].jpg

781669[1].jpg

IMG_0891.JPG

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
Your attention to detail always amazes me and is a great inspiration to me to push my boundries. It's good to hear that your brother in law is on the mend hope he continues to recover.