Tried out my new AB

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
For my birthday last week the wife bought me a set of Vallejo model air paints with a Harder and Steenbeck AB , I was struggling to get a thin line with my cheepo AB so I thought id give it a try 

this is my first attempt apart from spraying a few lines on a bit of card it's not perfect as I was learning to regulate it as I was spraying 

not bad for a first attempt I don't think 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Dave
Looks good to me Alan I have two iwata AB's one of which I'm told will do pencil thin lines but I'm nowhere near that yet though advice on here to increase the pressure has helped reduce splatter which seemed counter intuitive. 

Dave

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Dave , does your AB have the trigger on top ? 

I found with mine I can let the air come through without any paint so I can hold it in the position I want to start and ease my trigger back until I see paint on the model then just slowly move it so I get just the right thickness I want 

the AB is a Harder and Steenbeck ultra 

you can get them in a set from johns shop

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
John sells a pretty decent one , once I've got to grips with this I'm going to have a crack at a mottled camo 

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
late happy birthday, :D ,you have such a great wife,she dose look after you very well, :D

well back to the tank,that dose look very good Alan,shows nice high of AB,and movement as well,

I do use chepo,AB,and always make sure that there,double action,as well,push down gives air,pull back the paint starts to flow,

looks good and well done,its fun doing freehand,and I like the softer edges,

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thank you moni , she's a great girl and very supportive of my hobby so I must be doing something right , I can't think of what it is exactly but it must be something

Ill start on a proper build tomorrow and see how it turns out

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will look forward to seeing what you start and how you paint it, :D

maybe just a dinner she likes,or some think small,to say thank you,go,s a long way 9_9

First Name
Dave
I've seen his compressors I think I'll have one with a tank next time it'll work my bigger brush better hopefully, I best get saving. Interested in what your doing next.

Dave

First Name
Gwyn
Lines look very good Alan, especially for your first go.

S

steve5

I've still only using the Chinese cheapee's , can't do that sort of stuff yet , trying to save up for a goody

D

dubster72

I've still only using the Chinese cheapee's , can't do that sort of stuff yet , trying to save up for a goody

Any airbrush can do reasonably thin lines. Maybe not pencil thin, but that takes a considerable amount of practice & applied skill, no matter the brand or price of the AB.

Really the variable factor is the paint, not the airbrush. Whilst not wanting to open the enamels vs acrylics can o' worms again, from my experience & that of others, modern water-soluble acrylic paint is more difficult to spray than enamels, especially for fine work.

Notice I say more difficult, not impossible! ;)

Practice & experimentation is the key, not necessarily expensive airbrushes.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thank you Ralph I appreciate it 

I have started on my first tryout for a model , this is the Tamiya 1/35 Stug III Ausf G now this kit was the Finnish Army release but I've built it as a German one , I replaced the DT machine gun with an MG 34 and left off the big tool box at the back and moved the spare wheels there , I also added the smoke tubes but put them in the wrong place ( not to self , research , research ! ) 

it's got a gloss coat on now for the decals and pin wash 

it's not the best but not bad for an actual go for display 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ralph , I've put the decals on it now , I had to dig some out of the spares so it's a made up unit 

when they're  dry I'll start weathering it