Triumph's Ian Collis model Lancaster Bomber Lovely Lou

D

Doug Hughes

Brilliant, Peter. The close-ups of the turrets and cockpit area are just amazing.

T

Triumph

Thanks to you all, but people I hope you have noted that I am not the builder of this beauty, as member Ian M has pointed out, you may be thinking I am (I wish). No no Ian Collis is his name, just like you he makes models for pleasure and for others (me). Due to an accident at work he cant work anymore. Ian builds his models on a 'Tea' tray sitting in his chair in the front bay window of his house. If you have facebook please go look at his page 'Ian Collis Models' there you will see his builds and maybe leave a nice message there I always pass on peoples comments to him, . I hope you don't feel cheated into thinking it was me I'm sorry if you do, it was not ment too

Peter

S

Stevekir

Beyond compare! Perfect. The photography is the same, sharp, well-lit and with closeups. Two questions:

1. I have been looking for ages for a background which looks convincing on which to paste a digital image of a model (I assume the model was pasted and not actually physically placed on a surface which had the background on it ??). I will need to get out to an airfield and take pics. Its not easy to find a suitable spot.

2. How did your modeller paint the canopy frame? Masked as done conventionally or some other way? It is the best canopy I have ever seen.

Whew!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb work all round, another very nice finish.

T

Triumph

\ said:
Beyond compare! Perfect. The photography is the same, sharp, well-lit and with closeups. Two questions:
1. I have been looking for ages for a background which looks convincing on which to paste a digital image of a model (I assume the model was pasted and not actually physically placed on a surface which had the background on it ??). I will need to get out to an airfield and take pics. Its not easy to find a suitable spot.

2. How did your modeller paint the canopy frame? Masked as done conventionally or some other way? It is the best canopy I have ever seen.

Whew!
Hi Steve, I'm afraid your wrong, the model is indeed placed on a base in front of a picture, then if I want the foreground is put back on the finished picture, or in this example just cropped to get rid of unwanted parts of the picture :smiling3:

and Yes Ian used a mask set

View attachment 111745

View attachment 111746

View attachment 111747

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

D

dougie

Cheers, for sharing his work. It's properly stunning. Amazing build.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
It is a stunning build and he has surpassed the goal. You must be very happy with the result.
I have no problem with you posting your collection, but in fairness to the builder, I feel that you should give him a lot more credit in the posts.

I am sure that many here missed the point that you have had them professionally built.

Ian M
Fair point, I hadn't even realised this until Ian mentioned it. Having read through the thread again I think the builder should be given more credit and the thread written with a bit more clarity and a bit less ambiguity.

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the whole idea of having models proffessionally built is a very interesting one and I'm sure would generate a very enthusiastic debate. I have made models all my life and continue to do so however working away from home for three months at a time greatly reduces my available time for modelling. Consequently I have a Tamiya factory built Bismarck as I really like this model but would never have been able to build one myself so i was happy to buy a ready made one. I also have a cabinet of Minichamps 1/12 th scale motorcycles all of course ready built to supplement the bikes I have built myself over the years so I can certainly see the reasoning for buying a built model.

I'm sure a point we have all considered but no-one has actually asked, would you be prepared to say how much the build cost you?

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Simply, WOW!!

At first I thought it was the real thing!!:cool:

T

Triumph

Hi Bunkerbarge, My problem with this is, would this open up a can of worms? in regards to who reads this. You have said a " professionally built" does that have to mean he earns a living doing this? I don't know enough about the rules. If you build a model then sell it on e-bay do you declare that sale to the tax man if you are in full employment? More than happy to discuss this topic, maybe we can open up the topic in general chat section, so long as I'm not getting anyone in trouble I would be happy to tell you of what makes and how I obtain all the models in my collection. Also what if the wife reads Scale-Models OMG :smiling3:

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Hi Steve, I'm afraid your wrong, the model is indeed placed on a base in front of a picture, then if I want the foreground is put back on the finished picture, or in this example just cropped to get rid of unwanted parts of the picture :smiling3:
and Yes Ian used a mask set
Thanks. I suppose also a wall, fence etc.could be modelled (in 3D) to attach to the back of the base to give a little more detail in the foreground. Impressive result.

S

Stevekir

Fascinating! Makes it look real The figures were no doubt cut out in Photoshop and pasted on. A tricky thing to do, getting the lighting to match. Here, an overcast sky made that easier, (although in the second the shadows were obviously added with a Photoshop brush).

Very inspiring. I AM impressed!