Trumpeter 1/32 Bf109E-3

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You are both close!

There are two 30 cm diametre wheels.

Wheel 1 controls the trim of the tail plane. This had a 12 degree range from +3.5 to -8.5 degrees. It took 5.75 turns of the wheel to move the tailplane through the entire range.

Wheel 2 controls the flaps. It took four turns to lower the flaps fully down,42.5 degrees. As the flaps came down so did the ailerons,something modellers always miss. With the flaps fully down the ailerons would be 11 degrees down too. The flaps could of course be set in an intermediate position.

The advantage of having the two wheels so close together is that by winding both wheels together the pilot automatically compensated for changes in trim caused by lowering the flaps. Lowering the flaps gave rise to a fairly large nose-down pitching moment. This could be achieved using one hand. It's a very clever system and one of the things that British test pilots who flew the Bf109 all remarked on as a positive feature.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sprayman

Cant believe I let a 109 go under the radar, looking spot on Ian, I have this kit so reading with interest, a sharp build going on here.

M

msm2

Who is Ian? I have a few 109s on the go at the mo,ranging from 1/144 up to 1/32 scale.

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Who is Ian? I have a few 109s on the go at the mo,ranging from 1/144 up to 1/32 scale.
Bob, you are Ian ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Who's Bob?

Looks great by the way.

Ian M