Trumpeter 1:32 Grumman Avenger TBF-1C

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Evening All,
A bit of progress on 'office'/bomb-bay, complete with payload and ready to attach to body halves:-
IMG_3739.JPGIMG_3740.JPG
The engine is mounted in position, so the rear turret, rear wheel structure, a small seat, and the arrestor hook to be made ready for closing up.
Thanks for the photos gents, and for all your comments. Payload choices were, a fuel tank, a torpedo, smaller bombs, or closed bomb-bay.
Cheers
Alun

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice progress Alun. Better with a torpedo though
Cheers
Tim

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Afternoon,
Added a it more, all to go inside the 2 halves:-
IMG_3742.JPG
The rear seat and the tail wheel with rear m/c gun attached
IMG_3743.JPG
The rear turret next, the small seat will be the difficult part to get located in both fuselage halves!
Cheers
Alun
PS Joe and Tim thanks for looking in, did toy with the idea of a torpedo, but went for bombs.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alun
You are really moving along with this. Looks great and the detail is nice.
Jim

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Morning ,
Hi Jim and Ross, thanks for comments, I am enjoying this, lots of detail in the moulds, so far fit is good, looked ahead to the wing assembly that looks quite complex, folding mechanism and some internal structures.
Cheers
Alun

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Alun

Sorry mate. Completely missed this one. I have had a good read through and it looks a terrific build. Glad you are enjoying the build:thumb2:

Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Alun.
As Steve, guilty , sorry. Had a read from the beginning, certainly an interesting plane, those folding wings are a marvel of engineering.
Clean build as to be expected.
Like you not used to the forum yet.
John.

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Hi John,
welcome along as always, an interesting kit this one, lots of detail. Not sure of the folding wing interpretation, had a look at the plans and parts, holding judgement until l see hardware assembled. Instructions are hard to follow in places, so lots of dry fits. This is my 1st Trumpeter attempt, so new ground.
Cheers
Alun

Reactions: JR

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
A quick update:-
IMG_3741.JPG
Rear turret complete, just assemble the 3 main parts and it is ready for fitting in to fuselage halves.
Arrestor hook to complete before assembling. Looked ahead at wing assembly, a bit scary, but hopefully less scary when I start, but let's get the two body halves together first!
Cheers
Alun

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alun,
the closing of the fuselage halves is always a nervous time, dry fitting shows all the points of interference! I once did an 1/48 Accurate Miniatures B-25 - with complete interior - at least it started complete! I had to remove loads of bits before I could get a decent joint, the planned open bomb bay had to be closed to hide the empty void!
Good Luck
Dave

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Morning All,
A bit more progress, but not quite as planned! My intention was to put all the sub-assemblies into one fuselage half, take a photo and then close up with the other half.
Well did the assembly, tried a dry fit with the other half, all went together nicely, but could not safely separate them without excessive force, so to be safe, I glued them up!!
IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3831.JPG
Also started on the bomb bay doors and the wing hinge mechanism. The doors are PE and plastic together, so shape and angle set by the PE.
IMG_3832.JPG
Had to put the rudder in the 'halves' assembly, but decided to paint it first. Will paint the body and wings separately as it is a big lump of plastic to manoeuvre.
More soon, thanks for all comments and support.
Cheers
Alun

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alun
All looking good. The fit of the fuselage halves appears excellent. No wonder it didn't want to come apart and prizing them apart for a photo would have been a very risky and pointless exercise.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I fully understand why you decided to cement the two halves together. The fit on this model is suberb but there is little 'tolerance' and having got a good fit. See this thread is giving me a push towards starting my second build of this kit - I might hold off until after doing the I-16 though......