Mr Hobby surfacer Vs Humbrol filler.

A

Awins

Can I dilute Humbrol filler with cellulose to a thin consistancy and use this the same as the various Mr Hobby sufacers.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You can thin it with cellulose thinners but I would not try spraying it. The thinners evaporate very quick and will probably set in the airbrush. I have used it to brush into small cracks and the such. As good for 'painting out' scratches and incorrect panel lines. (or ones you cock up doing new ones...). Use it for figures as well, arm and leg joins and the like.

I find by putting the filler in a metal dish and add the thinners as you work keep it workable for a good while but then it starts to cure quicker than you can use it so a little at a time is the best way.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive done just that alan , when my tube of humbrol putty was unusable ( partly cause it had gone stiff and partly cause it was the end of a very rolled up tube) I cut open the end if the tube and squeezed it into an old 10ml Tamiya paint jar. I then added cellulose thinners and stirred/ mixed until it was the required consistency. I use this when i only need a thin smear and if it starts to thicken up in the jar due to evaporation i just add a bit more cellulose thinners, cheers tony

Last edited by a moderator: