Trumpeter 1/48 SM 79 Sparviero.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Now Japanese WW2 colours were mentioned…. MRP have those too and my Tamiya Sally will be coming up after the B17…. Talk about minefields!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
there's no colour called 'sabbia' sand in the Regia Aeronautica listings, but the pre '41 colours, the mimetici, are a bit vague. There are at least four different Giallo Mimetici, from four different actual real paints.
For those wondering, this seemed to me to be a pretty good guide, when I was looking into this subject some years ago.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I knew I'd find it eventually!
218 SM79 001.jpg

Yes, I have too many Regia Aeronautica books! Aaand, this is only four out of the ten or twelve of the squadriglia, so no way to know just what the others looked like. I've another pic of at least four different S.79s all from the same sqd and all in completely different schemes
BTW Buscaglia, as mentioned leader of this sqd. was, I believe, the guy that put a torpedo into Barham

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well that's an impressive gert big slab. I'm still hoping for a 1/32 injection job. Or Airfix do one in 1/24th, lol... Hmm, Tamiya have never done anything Italian

However, time to put my nerd hat on, because those colours look a bit weird to me and my (copious) references and paint stocks.
The yellow could be giallo mimetico (camo yellow) '1', the most pale shade (I put the numbers in quotes as they're post war classifications), the green is a bit too 'green' for the verde mimeticos (camo green), but the brown is okay for bruno mimetico (camo brown). The underside looks close to a RAF 'Sky', rather than grigio mimetico (camo grey). That's all the pre '41 colours
The nose and leading edge look, to me way to dark, even for grigio azzurro scuro (the blue-grey for late seaplanes), and by my references ought to be closer to grigio azzurro chiaro (light grey-blue). 'Soft-edged' too

Going to have to look into this MRP range
...... Apart from that,it's spot on!!... ;)