Trumpeter 1/72 Sherman Israeli army

T

T. van Vuuren

I have never built a small armour kit so this will be new to me. Trumpeter kit of the M4a1 76 is actually quiter nicely detailed.
It will be in the colours of the IDF 1961 war.
DSCN2166.JPG

I just need to make sure about the OD green on the boxart, I think Israeli tanks in '61 were a desert brown??

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Ian I am doing a GB for FSM and got a 1/72 italeri Spitfire Mk9....it was such a poor kit I gave it to the kids to play with. I like armour, just dont really build it. I operated with the SA Army meck group and enjoyed the "toys" they had ;)

I have assembled the 6 bogyes, they were quite fiddley and didnt fot well, untill I accedently broke off a littl pin that kept getting in the way only to find it now fit allot better. Little did I know it was an ejector pin that was supose top be removed (not shown so on plans) LOL
Happens when you have little know how of the subject matter.

Theuns

F

Fenlander

61 up to and including 67 Sini War were a sandy colour. I used a 50/50 mix of a Tamiya Buff and Dark Yellow on a Sini War super Sherman but not sure how accurate this is. Some use Buff and Medium grey

T

T. van Vuuren

Ta for that Graham :smiling:
ANyway the sherman is coming allong nicely, there will be a little filling to do on the lower and upper hull joint. The detail for such a small kit is actually very good, each bogey has the 2 spoked wheels and 2 side carriers to assemble.
The hatch and other detail on the upper hull is also very good.

I had to drill out the hoist lugs on the upper hull, solid they just looked wrong.

I have been looking at loads of pix of these Shermans with the "cast hull" and they were really rough! you can clearly see where the cast sprues were cut off and "very lightly" filled with grinders .

I wanted to weather the hell out of this tank but from all the pix the IDF took very good care of their equipement. Very little if any rust other than on the tracks, maybe the desert air is to dry?? They were all re-painted in a light brown from '61 onwards so I assume they must have been overhauled.

. by Theunis van Vuuren, on Flickr

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Got the primer on today, looking quite nice after a round of filling and sanding.
Then I modulated the hull sides and bottom to give somne "shading" to the overall IDF sand grey.
Next I painted the tracks with alclad black primer as a base coat, I looked at some u tube vids of how to weather them with chalk pastels.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Here are the tracks, I weathered with different chalk pastles and alcohol, then used a graphite pencle to give the pollished metal on the areas that chafes against stuff.
For a first attempt I am actually quite chuffed :smiling:
You can also see the IDF sand grey.DSCN2180.JPGDSCN2183.JPG

Theuns