Trumpeter....152mm self propelled howitzer

• Thread starter Deleted member 4539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4539

Tedious but worth it. Not your usual Ralph, look forward to seeing what you make of it.
Cheers Graham:smiling3:.
I've been doing a lot of commission figures this year and I've not had a chance to do any plastic kits,this will be the first in over a year.

J

Jens Andrée

Akatsiya SO-152/2S3 - The mighty Brezhnev sledgehammer!
Looking great and a reminder that I one day must take a poke at the Russian armour lines...

I've stood next (almost arms length) to a couple Haubits 77 when they fired rapid shots of 155mm grenades and it broke the thermos flask in my backpack! Not that dissimilar to the 152.4mm caliber of the Russian counterpart.
The suspension must take a real beating on these tracked SPG's...

What paint scheme have you planned?

D

Deleted member 4539

Akatsiya SO-152/2S3 - The mighty Brezhnev sledgehammer!
Looking great and a reminder that I one day must take a poke at the Russian armour lines...

I've stood next (almost arms length) to a couple Haubits 77 when they fired rapid shots of 155mm grenades and it broke the thermos flask in my backpack! Not that dissimilar to the 152.4mm caliber of the Russian counterpart.
The suspension must take a real beating on these tracked SPG's...

What paint scheme have you planned?
Cheers Jens:smiling3:.
There are two colour schemes with the kit.
Russian Green and a three tone camo.
At this moment in time I'm going for Russian Green.

J

Jens Andrée

This is a nice camo scheme for the 2S3, the Azeri 2S3, but Russian green as it was originally painted in will probably make it look more authentic.
Anyhow, looking forward to see the finished result! :smiling3:

640px-Azeri_2S3%2C_parad_in_Baku%2C_2013.JPG

F

Fenlander

Looks a bit of a beast Ralph. Russian green must be one of the most debated armour colours. I think you could use any green and it would be right lol. Good to see it coming together.

D

Deleted member 4539

Looks a bit of a beast Ralph. Russian green must be one of the most debated armour colours. I think you could use any green and it would be right lol. Good to see it coming together.
Cheers Graham:smiling3:.
You're right about the green but by time I've painted/weathered it it will look like it's been on campaign for a year(that's what I hope anyway).
I'll start the pre-shading tomorrow.
All the best to you.

J

Jens Andrée

Honestly "Russian green" probably means whatever shade of green they could find ;)
Cold war Russian green looks more or less exactly like Tamiya NATO green, at least the Russian armour I've been around when I was dressed in camo green.
I particularly remember the MTLB we were given as a training object back in early 1993 was almost exactly the same as NATO green. Only a shade darker than the Swedish army green we used on our vehicles.

I've seen other "Russian green" looking almost neon green, which to me looks silly, but it must've been what they had around and how it faded in the sun?
Anyhow, I agree that the 2S3 will look fantastic in green!