Moving along smartly. Looking very good. Will take mud nicely. PaulE

Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi John,

good to see progress with the engine - resin shouldn't really be any harder to assemble than plastic - just uses different glue and sometimes needs a bit more cleaning up

I tend to use Squadron green for small filling jobs on resin but two part epoxy such as milliput or magic sculpt will be better for larger gaps

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Paul, ..... There will certainly be mud and plenty of it.!
Simon ....., Thanks for the info on the fillers . I have some Squadron green after you recommend it some time ago :smiling3: it's only for a few Nick's in the block . Glad you you approve. :hugging-face:
John.

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great looking start my friend. I’m going to have to rely on you to assist me on my Russian front dio project. Perth MM help me with my howitzer build that I completed as well. I think it was a great resource and hopefully it helps you as well. Bring on the earth moving !!!!!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Joe .
How's things, good I hope .
Glad try to help buddy, just ask. Yes I'm like you PMMsite is great. Gleened some really helpful tips from him .
Thank for looking in .
John

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking very good John. I like that engine detail your doing great as always

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Lee.
Yes the detail on the engine, just think of all the fun I shall have painting it. Really looking fwd to that and doing the diorama. So many ideas, so little space this time to get them all in .
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning John
A challenge indeed. Your organised approach is already paying dividends by the look of things so far.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Jim .
Certainly helps with those small parts as some of then look alike .
Being organised and somewhat tidy is the way to go ( Much to Management's utter amasement )

John .

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Top job Dude 2!!! Somehow I think I'm in the wrong post with you trying to be neat and tidy. Jim is still not going to give you a membership no matter what!!!

When you laid all the parts out on the instructions, Were there any of them missing??? I think my set had one piece that wasn't there...…..Drive on Dzhon!!!!!!

Prost
Allen

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Dude1
All was going well........... Until one of the smallest parts strayed to near the edge of the bench when attempting a rapid escape from the tweezers. Now going to play hunt the resin, only good thing is its whitish so will show up on the floor…...... Or will it . :angry:
Dude 2

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
Missed a few updates but up to speed now. Well done with all the fiddly bits and bobs..looks like a really nicely detailed kit.
Keep on tractoring :thumb2:
Si

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Very nice work so far mate just make sure you have a mask on when your fettling the resin. It's all very nicely detailed. Just seen Steve's post I see you have it all in hand lol
Scottie

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve....... :smiling4::smiling4::smiling4: Nice one, Christine had got to the top of the stairs and came back as I was laughing out loud, when she saw the photo she raised her eyes :rolling: and continued her upward journey chuckling to herself.
I had a look at that figure, looks good, thanks for looking :thumb2::thumb2:. I came across several kits late last night, will have a closer look , 2 are from Mini Art and one from Tamiya. They are of course sets, but might be able to make something from one of them.

Hi Si ...... yes a lot of small bits to test the saw, the resin parts are mainly ok , I had one which was hard to fathom out which way it went, even with the photos. Unfortunately some of the photos are not that clear as to what your looking at. Some of the kit parts are minuscule, under the deck are 2 very small tap heads and 2 other leavers , don't suppose they will be seen again, along with the linkage. Its a very well detailed kit, and the flash is nearly nill. Plenty of rivets for Steve to love :thumb2:.

Paul . .... Yes I've been very conscious of the dust. In fact yesterday when I did the block where I had some sanding and filing to do I sat in the garden complete with my spraying mask on. What someone seeing me would have though seeing a man with a full face respirator and a pair of magnifying glasses on is any ones guess.:flushed:

Today saw more engine work, as I have said some of the photos of the parts leave a lot to be desired. When some of the pipe work looks the same and they are surrounded by bits of very thin resin its hard to decided which parts they are. I also think the instructions for the engine set could be a lot better written as well, that said its a matter of checking several times and checking the Tankograd Book as well.

IMG_3021.jpgB1.jpg
In the bottom jaws is a small piece of resin about 4 mm long , and no more than .5 mm thick, with 4 holes in it. These are for wire to be glue into and then taken down on to a lower top where there are 4 micro studs. This afternoon the piece disappeared, no doubt a draught blew it off the desk into the mouth of the Vinal Mat Monster. So I will be using a section of plastic card or resin off cut to fashion one...... minus any holes !
Cutting the wire to fit between the two sets of cylinder heads was achieved in the end by taping the wire down, marking and then cutting out.
IMG_3022.jpgB2.jpg
Tight fit was needed .

IMG_3024.jpgB3.jpg
On the third attempt success, the wire jammed itself in , so a quick needle end of CA was placed. I can see some over gluing took place on the first set of pipes to the left of the new wire. I have some CA debonder which is great , so can just brush a little on that run and removed it.

IMG_3027.jpgB4.jpg
The end of the engine for the day , final fit and glued in .Tomorrow I hope to carry on with the pipe work . To finish off the day I spent 2 hrs assembling the deck to the rear. Some very fiddly track steering rods , brake handle and foot peddles, including some linkage under neat the deck.

IMG_3031.jpgB5.jpg
Enjoyable when it all fitted . At the front where those 4 bolt heads are is some sort of push foot switch. Well the real one left very hurriedly, powered out of the tweezers , second time to day, so that's one resin and one plastic part awol. Not to be out done by minor troubles I used a small piece of off cut, trimmed it square and glued it into place. The crowning glory came when I took one of my Masterclub Rivets and removed the shank and fixed the rivet head onto the new part. Steve you can be proud of me, my first Rivet !:astonished::astonished: .

Every thing sitting over night to fully cure, tomorrow will press on .
Thanks for joining me, comments as normal .
John .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking very nice John liking the details

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Lee.
Finding this build really enjoyable and yet fiddly with the small parts, but when they fit the sence of achievement for me sightwise using one eye is great.
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work John. You certainly have done a wonderful job on the engine. Good luck with the rest of the cab.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dude 2, are we having fun yet buddy???? Top stuff!!!!