Trumpeter .Ch tz s65 Tractor Diorama

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning from the mists of southern Lincs .

Dave...... Thanks fot that suggestion, seems that might be better for me . They remind me very much of those on the Komsomolets T20 , I was beaten by those , but determined this time they will go on . Unfortunately there are no aftermarket metal tracks available, I looked at the US Dozers, but they had less links, but the same configuration. I shall try that method you suggested later .

Ken ... Thanks .

Si......... Having got the rear of the cab correct in hight, the returns although fiddly due the the length should ok .Have plenty of those Yoghurt pot lids ready for the " glass " and some clear canopy glue.

:tongue-out3:Steve....... Loved the reply ....... It's artistic licence don't you know to use a soft lens in the production of photos in some circules. ! :smiling3::smiling3: ........,..Unfortunately I decided when I replied to you and Jim to show what I was doing, I used my tablet. Hence the special effects .
Yes should be a lot easier with Dave's suggestion. Tracks are not in my top 10 of enjoyable sections model building !

Thanks for looking in and the support...........
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:smiling2:. ,Si. just saw this after posting the above . Very true, bit like those early films, and no I wasn't there ! But have seen them on TV .
John :upside:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right gang.
Today after the tip from Dave I set to and did the links, all went reasonably well . I struggled at times to see even with the 2.5 glasses on. Its just the depth of field that I lack using my good eye. I loose depth pretty quickly and this was the problem, joining the completed pairs to the next link. They moved about, even though I left them for several minutes.

When the time came to wrap them around the drive wheel and along the top over the rollers and onto the return all went well. It started to go a bit pair shaped when I started to put the plates on. On the drive wheel all was ok , so I continued doing the under side, making sure the tracks, or links were tight . It was at this point the pins refused to come through the plate....... I realised loads of the links had slightly twisted, thus causing the pins to be out of line. Too fragile to sand the pins off I removed them with the snips, pushing down the plates as I progressed. All good I thought until the return roller part.
At this point is was a matter of turning the model on its side and seeing that the plates lined up with the link, of course now the plates are are at their maximum space most of them were ok, just one or two looking a bit shabby. The top line of track was the most problematic, I couldn't get the snips under the deck plate, ......... so drilled the plates out! resulting in most of them fitting reasonably well.

Just one thing , while trimming the plates I managed to fire one about 8 inches straight in to the open TET bottle, :flushed::flushed::flushed:at first I could't see it , then peering into the bottle there it was. quickly remove and stuck on the base track.:hungry:

Definitely going to be a case of MUD and more MUD.
I just don't get on with plastic tracks, and have come to the conclusion that for me the metal ones are the way to go.
Saddened that the tracks for me have let this build down, as I was enjoying it so much. Tomorrow I will attempt to press on with other side , hopefully I will have learn't from this and might be able to improve. :disappointed:

With out Dave's tip I don't think I would have managed this today so thanks again Dave :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Here for those of a strong constitution are some photos, any one needing counselling after this are advised to ring the Help Line. Or 110

The first shot is for Steve....... no misty shot here mate. :hugging-face:
IMG_3094.jpgB2.jpg
Now hold on chaps .

IMG_3097.jpgB4.jpg

IMG_3098.jpgB5.jpg
Now a question , these are my fillers, had the Squadron Green for about 2 years, seems soft inside the tube, the Deluxe Plastic Putty also seems ok, not as old as the first one, but when I used it on some molding marks on the inside of the doors it didn't seem to sand very well, in fact most of it came off . I had allowed it to dry overnight as well . Perhaps the door needed washing first .
I shall need to fill under the screen after it is fitted, and don't want to mess it up.

IMG_3096.jpgB3.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Comments needed please .
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
Ah well, as you say, plenty of mud. I think those CHTz links are on a par with the HobbyBoss Schneider for difficulty of assembly. Having said that - I have a Bronco A13 MkII Cruiser IV in my stash - I have opened the box, and looked at it many times, but one glance reminds me of the TINY individual track links ( 240+! ), and it goes back to the bottom of the pile! ( and I have to go and sit down......)
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Dave .
Makes me feel somewhat better when I read that I'm not alone with these type of tracks . In this case lucky that there weren't as many as you have mentioned on that Bronco .:surprised: That would be a link to far .
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening.
Having one set of tracks not completed gave me a thought, I'd put 10 link and plates together, I noticed one actually worked , a slip if there ever was. So studying the PMMS drawing again I decided to see it I could do it. I f not then I would resort to Dave's suggestion, as on the first track.

I glued one half of the links onto the plate and left it to dry, I did enough to do the complete track. Once these were dry I fitted the second one , it had a long pin to go through the first half, and then have its pins fitted to the plate. All went well, left the set to dry, after a couple of hrs where I spent my time cutting and fitting the lower section of angle to the cab base.
Having used Tamiya Extra Thin instead of the Revell Contacta that I would, and did use for the other track , the glue dried quicker.

Low and Behold they clipped together:surprised::surprised::surprised:, its a bit shocking when something like this happens for me. Not an easy task, bending one segment out and onto the other pin on the next plate, then closing the other side onto the corresponding pin. Well it worked, the only really hard part was the final join on to the rigid section I had done the day before. Out with the cutters and removed a link centre, put some glue on the tracks to keep them in place.

Yes I should have left them off until painted , but with all this movement I couldn't see the paint staying put, and too much would make the tracks too stiff. I will have to paint them on, a lot of the tracks will be hidden away so not a worry .
Here a some photos .
IMG_3100.jpgC1.jpg
IMG_3101.jpgC2.jpg
Yes even manage to mitre the corners !

Now for the tracks .

IMG_3103.jpgC3.jpg
Much better, this will be the side on display.
The cab still need the return doing up the fuel tank, It will give the door a slight gap , but look better than a large one . I won't fit this part until the seat is fitted along with driver Stiv Dzhons.
Any one any thought on the filler in my previous post , would be helpful . thanks .

John .

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Dzhon,

Now those tracks are looking very good. It's all about taking your time buddy. The cab is looking tight too, but I didn't know this was a model of an Indasa 100. I thought it was a ChTz S65 tractor...

As for the filler question, I would take a scrap piece of plastic, clean it good, make two scratches in it. Then place a small dab of each filler in them and let them dry. Once dry, I would sand them and see which held better and sanded smoother. That would be the one to use. HTH's!!!

Prost
Dude 1

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1
Thanks for the comment.
As for the filler, great idea, will try that tomorrow. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Dude 2

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Any time Dude 2, but what is a Indasa 100???? A cheap copy ????

Dude 1

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1
I'll have to go and look that up now ! ....... B****r ...Just realised what you meant after I looked on Google . Duh . :rolling::smirk::confused:
that's a sanding pad, with a foam core Indasa 10O was the grit size, and the makers name .t
Ranging from 220 grit down to 80 . Used for sanding moulded surfaces. I have several boxes left over . Use it to stand bits on as they don't fall off !.
Dude 2

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
That’s a cracking result on the second row of tracks....far better than T’other side:thumb2:

Alan’s advice with filler holds water for me:thumb2:....I have a feeling that the Delux stuff may not be sand able?
Keep tractoring :cool:
Si

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Si .
I can't remember when I bought it, I used it a couple of times and it didn't seem to like being sanded . Perhaps I didn't leave it long enough ?
John

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
PPP sands pretty well, certainly better than Vallejo, but I haven't tried the Green Stuff so can't compare it with that.

Pete

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
John,
Just looking at Delux website...claims to be sand able filler. Maybe needs a longer dry time?
Si

Peter beat me to it:smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Peter and Si.
I will do the Dewire Test asap and report my findings .
John

D

Deleted member 6559

Delux is funny stuff. I find it better if sanded before 100% dry, ie a couple of hours after application. Probably just me though.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Peter .
I've just been reading up on it, I'd forgotten it was water solublevas well . The top of the tube is very thick and not useable, but further inside it feels good .
John .

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Sorry John if it took me so long to post a comment... but i now i can..
I find your construction skills of this tractor absolutely stunning... l love how it's taking shape... keep it coming... more more moooooooore
:smiling::smiling::smiling::smiling::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

A

Armorguy

I'm looking forward to the paintjob/weathering sir. The model looks fantastic !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks.
Greg.......Good to see you mate. Been enjoyable at times as well as frustrating. Now I have nearly mastered those tracks I feel much better.
Guy.......Cheers, Have a few ideas, but don't want to overdo the rust side on the body, just some wear and grime .

Last night I cleaned the Deluxe top , removing all the old dried filler and washed out the cap.
Following instructions for Herr Dewire of the V2 Assembly Line I applied some fresh filler to a section of card. Leaving it over night I then gently sanded it. Result ! Its stayed on , filled the groves I made with the scalple. Just had to add very little water to make it into a smoother paste. So hats off to Dude1

John .