Trumpeter .Ch tz s65 Tractor Diorama

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
A lot a good progress and the tracks look absolutely fine. Sanding/smoothing filler is the bane of my life. I have many different makes and they all behave differently. I can use something one day and it will be fine and then the next it won't sand - just peels off. I am glad the V2 King's idea has made things clearer.
Jim

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim. ...I'm beginning to think that as well re -sanding. Those tracks have made me a lot happier now they are on.

Just now I did some far more interesting sanding........ a cocktail stick.
Not happy with the length of the shovel that I found in the spares box. I sanded and thinned down the cocktail stick, then removing the plastic part from the spare one I re-glued the shovel end back on to the now wooden shaft. Then drilled out a clenched hand from one of a set Russian anti tank troops and pushed the shaft through. Of course this will have to be painted off the figure and just fitted before setting on the dio.
See what you think .
Might need some filler or thin down that palm area and paint the shaft into the hand. Any suggestions welcome please.
IMG_3122.jpgX2.jpg
John .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,

Looks good to me...are you going to make a rake and hoe too:smiling5: joking aside....once painted or weathered up it’ll look even better :thumb2:
Si

First Name
Steve
Well done John i said at the start of this build it would be good, and it certainly is also well done with the tracks.

Steve.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Mr Race

Great work on the shovel mate. Before glueing into place just make sure the spade end is ground level or higher otherwise your figure will look like he is pole dancing:smiling2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you ,it's late at 01.24 so will reply later !
Pole dancing, I ask you !
Jr zzzzzzz ZZ.'........z

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right a more reasonable time to post.
Si....... I have a pick :smiling:
Sensible Steve......... Thank you, getting somewhere now.
Mad as a box of frogs Steve........Yes that thought did come to mind, will have to place him carefully, with the shovel part well in the mud.:smiling::smiling:

Spent the last few days gluing various bodies to legs, trying arms and finishing the easily knock off parts. Still need to do the lights. Will have to fit the " glass along with the screen when all is painted.
The cab lower section beneath the doors has been fitted, here I used some beam , removing one side and fitting with the angle down , but on the right hand side I had to use a straight section as some of the steering bolts were in the way . then I also made from card the lower side plates to the fuel tank even managing to cut out the service hole.
I had to remake these sections as just could not under stand the sequence of bending. I was pleased to read on PMMS that Terry Ashley found them to " require multiple bends in opposite directions and are really quite tricky to get all the bends done as the further you go the more previous bends get in the way of the next "
Made me feel not so stupid as I had thought.

Of course several bits have disappeared over time, two of the fittings coming through the top engine cover. Taking a Q tip and removing the head I was left with a plastic tube, with hole. Just the thing, a little over size, and some sort of blot head thingy, here I used a thin inner sprue off cut and a Master Nut, looks the part to me.
The cab is still loose, as I will have to paint the deck and cab internals first along with painting Stiv Dzhons. ( Related to out very own Steve Jones ) .
To get the seat inside the cab resulted in removing a bit of of the seat side and then sanding the angle that the door takes. Eventuality it all fitted and I glued on the lower section under the door area.

IMG_3212.jpgA1.jpg
Cab it's self is not fitted.
Now came the enjoyable part of making a wooden box for recovery tools, chains , pulleys. I like to use the stirrers for these, just the right thickness of a thick pine board. The box has a sloped roof, two doors, a shelf and will be fitted to the back of the cab. No good making it too tall, as the crew member would have to stand on the towing plate to reach the open box as is is.

IMG_3213.jpgA2.jpgIMG_3214.jpgA3.jpgIMG_3216.jpgA6.jpg

Before members of the Rabble remark on the pink background I'm still trying out various setting for the light tent !!!
Nothing fixed yet, I will take a sharp foam board tool and do the joints on those center boards, just too wide as they stand.
Have I said before no idea where the screen went from the truck ? so going to use those yogurt pot lids, just the right thickness.

With the S65 just about ready for painting I'm going to ask what is stuck in the mud / water.

A vote will take place , please state your preferences, A TANK . B TRUCK.

Has the vehicle tried to wade the river ? or fallen through the bridge ?
Choices and more choices.
Will there be fire ? NO so don't ask :tongue-out3:
Thanks for looking in, comments as normal.
John.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,

Really enjoying this build and where it is heading keep it up mate.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Hey John it's STUNNING.... i love it the level of detail.... it's great... i can't wait for the paint... are you going to do bran new or super weathered??

Last edited:
First Name
Steve
John i love the detail on the track frame's the sprockets front idler and top and bottom rollers are superb, even the idler buffer springs, the engine detail is great too.

Looking forward to more progress on this one maybe because it takes me back to when i was an apprentice plant fitter in the early seventies doing track overhauls and engine rebuilds on Caterpillar and International dozers etc.

Keep up the good work John.

Steve.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Tractor looks really great John, with a great toolbox.:smiling::thumb2:
Would like to see this one pull a tank out of the mud, maybe a BT-5 or 7?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you for the comments.
Would be nice if you could vote, as only Guy has done so .

Paul ........Well I have several ideas,but all involve mud / and water, but in differing amounts .
Guy ......Thanks .:thumb2:
Greg...... As they were around at the beginng of the war I suppose some could have been allowed to rust up abit. On the other hand when the factory had to change over to building tanks civilian ones were pressed into military service, so I could have civil colour and rusty! .Food for thought.
Steve O.......Thankyou.Glad it appeals, and I got it right then :smiling:
Steve ...... Great reply buddy, made me chuckle I can tell you.
Fernando...... Cheers,though it would look better in wood than card,. Right, I have a BT -5 in the stash so will take that as an A.

Thanks guys .
So in the lead goes type A .....the tank . 2votes
John .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
John,
Some lovely progress on the tractor...you doing it proud. Equally the wooden tool chests are a great addition, you can’t beat something extra like that to add interest and make it your own build.

I vote for A-tank....would look great if it was on its side being pulled up an embankment ....and you could probably model a thrown track to bypass Save you from track assembly?
I’m sure you come up with something clever:nerd:
Let’s see what the rabble vote brings

Si

D

Deleted member 6559

The tractor is looking terrific John and those famous carpentry skills are once more to the fore. Great stuff.