Trumpeter's AS-90 and some extra's.

First Name
Ross
Next to hit the bench is this oldy.

as-90.jpg

After saying how much I don't like PE in the Luchs build, I have a nice little lot of PE coming up.

as-90 a.jpg

I will be stealing an idea from an old MM member when he built this beast with all the PE, glue the PE to styrene strips and then stick that to the model. Also a shout out to anybody that has built the RB models gun, I've had a practice of putting it together but there are a couple of pieces I just can't work out where they go, so any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I'll get some sprue shots up as soon as possible.

cheers
Ross

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Morning Ross
I have this unopened in a drawer somewhere waiting for inspiration.
Does that RB barrel come with a sagged recoil sleeve- looks like it in your photo.
Looking forward to seeing your work on this and hopefully nudge me into having a go at it.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Just had a look on Scalemates at the RB barrel and there's a helpful review on Armorama which may help put it together.
Jon.

First Name
Ross
Hi Jon, Yes it does have the sagged recoil sleeve, I will check out that review and see thanks mate.

cheers
Ross

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ross
I'm in. Nice set of extras. I am interested to see how that PE idea works out. Been racking my brains to remember who suggested the method? Sounds like it should work with very thin styrene.
Jim

First Name
Ross
Jim, I can't remember his name either, I think he came from around Gloucestershire, he built a number of these self propelled artillery on the site but he was really into building true life railway scenes, you know buildings, road, lines etc and then putting a train together that would use that line. He was a computer programmer working on an upgrade or something to one of the current British Army vehicles. As you can see I remember a bit about him, except his name :unamused:. Very thin strips was the go, I remember he used it for the mud guard, which are those 2 big bits of etch in the picture.

Ian, welcome along for the ride mate.

cheers
Ross

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ross
Hi mate, I will join the gang for this. Must have been before my time in " the other house ". Sounds and intriguing method with the pe.
John

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Simon Hammerton mentioned this last.By using thin plastic card superglued to the PE part you can use ordinary liquid cement to glue the part to the model.Gives you more control and time to correctly position it.
Also,if needed,you've got the makings of a weld bead by softening the plastic.
Jon.

Reactions: JR

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Simon Hammerton mentioned this last.By using thin plastic card superglued to the PE part you can use ordinary liquid cement to glue the part to the model.Gives you more control and time to correctly position it.
Also,if needed,you've got the makings of a weld bead by softening the plastic.
Jon.

I’d like to hear more about this to understand the method, is there a video or photos to illustrate this technique?

First Name
Ross
John, I think he was there when you were.

Jon, I must of missed Simon's mention of it.

Rick, I haven't seen one and the bookmark I had to the other site is useless now, I'll include what I do in the build and hopefully we can work it out together.

Sprue shots coming up.

AS-90 1.jpgas-90 1a.jpgas-90 1b.jpgas-90 1c.jpgas-90 1d.jpg

It all looks pretty good but the building will tell the tale.

cheers
Ross

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi Ross, I'll watch this one too. I don't remember that trick to using PE but it sounds good.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ross.
Think everyone will want to know how it works, no pressure then !
John .

First Name
Ross
Jon H, I checked out that Armorama and also went to the RB website, between both sets of pictures, should be able to put the gun together correctly.

Mick, hope so mate.

John, as you say no pressure. :worried:

Worked on the lower hull last night, roughed up the lower hull a bit, it will probably all disappear under primer but maybe not, also filled in the pinch spots on the lower hull.

as-90 2.jpg

The idler wheel arm is moveable, so I can adjust the tracks if needed.

as-90 2a.jpg

Wheels tonight.

cheers
Ross

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ross,
Will this help, from the RB website .
Cheers, Mike.
AS90 barrell.jpg

First Name
Ross
Cheers Ian.

Well made a start on the etch tonight, most of it is normal bend and glue etc. There are 2 flaps on the front of the side skirts that gluing plastic to the PE helped with lining things up. I wasn't too worried about getting things perfect as it would all be hidden, perfect will have to come for the back mudflaps.

Pictures are a bit scrappy but you should be able to get the gist of what I did.

as-90 3.jpg
What you can't see very well is the strip of styrene is mounted a bit lower than the top of the etch. The next pictures will show what I was after.
Inside.

as-90 3a.jpg
Outside
as-90 3b.jpg

cheers
Ross

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking good Ross. :smiling3:

Interesting technique with the PE & styrene card, might have to nick that one.