Turkish Air Force 100th Anniversary: P-47D "Thunderbolt" in 1/48

B

BigZimmo

Hi guys!!

News from my workbench......................... ;)

In the years 1948 - 1954 the P-47D "Thunderbolt" was in service of the Turkish Air Force. The aircraft came from US stocks. Used at first in the 9th, 5th and 8th air regiments. The total number of aircrafts that came was 180.

My Thunderbolt shows the "Tulsa Redhead/Holy", with an individual identification number of ‘42’. This aircraft is probably a P-47D-30-RA, with the serial number 44-33501 and formerly operated by the 365th Fighter Group. The ‘Tulsa Redhead’ nose art would likely have been carried over from this earlier service.

The model comes from HobbyBoss and it's an "easy assembly-kit". Of course, the kit can not keep up with Tamiya & Co. But I think it's o.k.!

Cheers

Stefan:smiling3:

comp_P-47D (1).jpg

comp_P-47D (2).jpg

comp_P-47D (3).jpg

comp_P-47D (4).jpg

comp_P-47D (5).jpg

comp_P-47D (6).jpg

comp_P-47D (8).jpg

comp_P-47D (9).jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is gorgeous Stefan, just a beautiful build-screams quality modelling. I like this very much-always had a soft spot for the P-47.

Si:smiling3:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That hits the mark...nice!

Lee :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Magnificent P-47 Stefan. Another nicely presented model, and again nice to see markings other than the usual. I did not know that Turkey even operated the P-47.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Well you've nailed that Stefan .......... Superb build and stunning detail Five Big Stars From Me Matey.

Peter

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build Stefan,do like it, ;)

T

treyzx10r

Great looking Jug Stefan. Your craftmanship is outstanding,very nicely done Sir!

B

BigZimmo

Hi guys !!

Thank you for your kind words. The theme "Turkish Air Force" is very interesting. From the Ottoman Empire to the present day, Turkey has a very eventful military aviation history. During the Second World War, TUAF used German and Allied aircraft types together. After the "Ploesti Raid" a handfull of US B-24, who landed in Turkey and Cyprus in cause of emergency, were seized and transferred to the own flight regiments ("Filo"). The crews were interned.

:smiling3: