Tweezers and Files

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What tweezers do you have and why .
When I returned to modelling I had a rag and Bob tail collection of near useless tweezers, the sort that had no tip grip. I bought some quite expensive Duraflex ones, but the tips are starting to loose their grip, and bending when I remove the CA .! Any suggestions ?

Followed by files,
I've had a set of needle files, you know the ones 5 or 6 in a plastic wallet. I've been thinking about some diamond files . At work I used to have diamond sharpening sticks, when they first came out they were really expensive, but now much more affordable.
What files do you use, I need a thin flat one that doesn't block , hence thinking about diamond .

Thanks
John

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have a selection of tweezers/clamps purchased at Model RR shows, some you squeeze to grip & some you squeeze to loosen. Some have tip grips & some are smooth. They range from 1/8" serrated to needle point smooth tips. I have a set of files , but almost always use fingernail sanding sticks & blocks to shape/finish. I use #11 scalpel blade or razorsaw if a lot of material is to be removed. PaulE

Reactions: JR

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I have the Tamiya diamond file for PE @ https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/diamond-file-for-photo-etched-parts-tamiya-74066
As a backup i bought a set of diamond tipped/coated files from Lidl/Aldi. similar to https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/diamond-reamer-file-set-modelcraft-pfl6009

Tweezers: Still have a 3 point push to open , close automatically tweezer to hold things while painting etc , this is a modern equiv @ https://www.amazon.co.uk/ETbotu-Precision-Components-Extractor-Clamping/dp/B07FBF6WYM
I have found that other tweezers don't do what i need , though i see there are some good quality ones in the shop here, so will have another look , funds permitting , later.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
I rarely use tweezers, but have a couple of fine pointed pairs, one straight and one angled, that I got from a watchmakers tool supplier (Shesto or ProopsI think). I have various other pairs for rough work.
For files, like most I have a cheapo Chinese set, but they don’t get used much. For first quality work such as etch I have three or four really good files that have lasted over thirty years. Again I think they were from Shestos, and are made by Vallorbe. They are fourth cut and repay careful use and storage. I have a square, a triangular, a round, and a flat. However, never ever use good files on white metal or solder, it will blind and ruin them.
Cheers
Tim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I had some cheap tweezers and the points didn't meet properly, they bent easily and were generally useless. I bought these. Expensive but worth every penny.
P1010192(1).JPG
Can't remember where they came from but I think it is a case of you get what you pay for.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jim
The AA and 7 look just like mine. Good jewellery or clock tool factor is the way to go for these. You’ll get better quality for similar price than a model tool supplier....
Cheers
Tim

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve got three pairs of good tweezers: one with rounded ends that’s probably older than I am, but which still works fine, another very pointed set much like the AA ones Jim posted above, and a pair of pointed locking tweezers. The first I got from my parents when I started seriously building models (at age 8 or so, I guess), the second I bought from a model store for not-cheap-but-also-not-overly-expensive (IOW: no idea how much, but a price I thought was right for a good pair of tweezers), the third came from Military Modelling as a gift when I took out a subscription (and they came with three others that were about the worst tweezers I ever saw; the locking pair is much higher quality, though).

As for files, I’ve got a set of six or seven Eastern European files in one of those plastic wallets, that relatives of mine bought for me at a market for 5 guilders (that’s about €2.27) about twenty years ago, and which are still fine. Well, mostly — the flat ones could do with replacing, because the middle parts aren’t that sharp anymore. This was definitely a case of being able to buy good quality tools for little money.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
For tweezers I have several very good pairs that came from a surgical instrument suppliers.

For files i have a set of five diamond files in various profiles which get very little use, like minitnkr i mainly use a scalpel/razor saw for larger removal and then sanding sticks/abrasive paper for the rest. The other tool i find useful is a Chisel with a 2mm wide blade.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gentlemen.
Thank you, interesting to read your views.
The tweezers I bought were from a major electrical factor, A P C Farnell's, and were advertised suitable for electronic components, and not cheap ! like Jim's the points are too soft. This of course results in rapid fire of the item in to the unknown .

I have some of those reverse ones, great for holding figures by the leg ! Also my trusty razor saw.
Think I will invest in some like Tim and Jim mentioned.
As for files, and cleaning up , I do use those stick type from Ultimate , the blade as Paul mentioned.
When I was cleaning those small tracks I got the feeling my old flat file is getting worn. My old work chisels are too big !
Thanks again for your input.
John .
Right the search is on .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
JR

I like to use tweezers with a lot a leverage. Also with a large tip to pick up pieces easier. They are also ideal for getting the last pickled onion from the bottom of the jar

304-stainless-steel-tweezers-12-inch-long.jpg

As for the file I like to use one with a moulded handle. It also has the ability to shave off those awkward sprue marks in one go

38338b71d4e6811a98f5b40a018e2d45.jpg

You may also want to look at getting your items off the sprue with a cleaner cut to save filing. I use this on my plastic parts

25889803211_6dd80e6481_b.jpg

Permission to carry on:smiling5:

Steve

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve .:tongue-out3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:
For a start he's got my cassock on in the second photo ! And that is the file I use, I think that's the finest Chinese steel and the smoothest one you can get .
Did you see my reply on the S65, I woke up Management .!!!!!!! laughting. Suffered for that infringement.!
JR
Chop of the old block looks nasty. :hugging-face::flushed::flushed:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Steve you are a star - gave me a good laugh.

John - for the majority of my sanding I use 'Micro Mesh Dual Angle Sanding Sticks'. I bought some at a show a while back and they have proved to be excellent. They can be used wet or dry, they do not clog up too much and are easily cleaned with water and an old tooth brush. They seem to last well. They come in 5 grades and although expensive I feel they're worth while. I need some more and yesterday I emailed John at the shop to see if he could stock them. He replied straight away and says he will stock them soon. Worth a look definitely.

Jim

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Here’s what I currently use there not perfect far from it they come in needle point curved and flat bladed but they do work I also use tweezer scissors and a tweezer clamp which you squeeze to release
For filing i have a dozen or so rat tail files in varying stages of decay I really should replace them

Regards

Colin

Attachments

• DBB273CD-32BF-4AF9-8D23-2DAA44E469F6.png
    DBB273CD-32BF-4AF9-8D23-2DAA44E469F6.png
    565.3 KB · Views: 8
  • A514854E-37A2-41F0-8E14-1E9B3A68ED9D.png
    A514854E-37A2-41F0-8E14-1E9B3A68ED9D.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 9

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi John, I use these tweezers:
20180711_201253_resized.jpg
From left to right, the first two are my preferred ones grip tips and still good after cleaning CA a lot of times from Protools.be
The black ones are from a Trumpeter set, although no grip tips excellent for small etch and film parts, be careful A to C are very sharp as my left leg found out once..:anguished:
The hold-grip are a pretty common heat-resistant type, grip tips and great to hold figures and other small parts to paint.
The other ones are cheapo ones from a diy shop only good for the odd hold during an AB session.
20180711_201420_resized.jpg
A small set of key-files a good for my little filling as I tend to mainly use a box-knife ad sandpaper.
The small diamond ones are brand-new and untested but I think they're great for etch, time will tell.

Hope you find what you need, at a show vendors generally have a lot of tools on offer (at least over here):thinking: