Two Hurricanes Complete (Fly and Revell kits, 1/32)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So here are the finished articles. What you see here and in the build thread (https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/a-tale-of-two-hurricanes.41482/) is what’s in the boxes with the sole exception of an aftermarket harness in the Revell model.

I know that this is not supposed to be a comparison, but in the end, people will want to know which model they should spend their hard-earned cash on if they want to build a large scale Hurricane. There is no easy answer to that. This is a model site and there are lots of people here who have the skills to make a great looking Hurricane from the Fly kit, but it is not an easy or straightforward build. If you fancy the challenge, go for it. If you want a more straight forward build, go for this newish Revell kit. Contrary to some reviewers, I did not find it to be up there with the very best, but it is a good fitting and very well engineered kit.

Honestly, If I were to build another Hurricane, I’d use the Revell kit.

There are subtle differences in shape, and I have no idea which is more or less correct, they both look like Hurricanes. My ham-fisted photography will almost certainly fail to capture such subtleties, I can’t really describe them in words, but here are some pictures so you can lay 'spot the difference'. To save typing, the Revell kit is in the Temperate Land Scheme (Dark Green/Dark Earth over Sky) and the tropicalised Fly kit in a tropical scheme (Dark Earth/Middle Stone over Azure Blue).
Fly side.jpg

Revell side.jpg
Fly FQ.jpg
RevellFQ.jpg
Fly RQ.jpg
REvell RQ.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those are looking very good :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very well done Steve. A great finish and testament to your skills as always!

Very well done.

Andrew

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
A very nice couple of Hurricanes, Steve. Congratulations for the fine result.
Probably, IMHO, Fly kit leaves more space for a scratch builder as some details are softer than in Revell's one (e.g. the landing gear) but they definitely look like Hurricanes.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
They both look very good but in my eye the Revell one is some how more pleasing to the eye.

But both expertly built and painted.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely work Steve, gorgeous pair of Hurrys.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Both beautifully built, but I think the Revell somehow looks more like a Hurricane.
Pete

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Two very well finished Hurricanes Steve. Lovely job.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work steve , they both look brilliant . Takes me back to the first ever 1/32 kit I did as a kid - the old Revell Tropical Hurricane , apparently not very accurate but 10 year old me didnt know or care , i just loved that model .cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A great comparison Steve, both look fantastic to me

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Very nice indeed. I have the Revell in the stash and it’s nice to see what can be done with it.