Two on the go, armour and the vietnam dio

D

Dave1973

ok, some of you knew about the rice paddy dio im making with a 1:72 huey, and finally my replacement huey arrived, so that is being err..restarted? Yeah that sounds a positive word, restarted.

I think ill use the other huey in a crashed huey dio, but i digress.

So while the huey is being contructed, drying, glueing etc, i wanted to make a dio with my Kampfwagen tank. Last time i made a dio (well, actually my first ever attempt, rather than my last, as that sounds like im some sort of veteran dio builder...cough...yeah right!) i made it on a corner shelf, using the tile grout. I was really chuffed with that attempt, it worked out way way better than i thought, but alas, no where near on par with ones i see here.

But i need to keep practicing, so i begun my err..errr....practicing? Sound like a doctor now....

ok, sorry. Right, where was i?

Oh yeah, there i was surrounded by succubus, and covered in vaseline when.......oh sorry wrong story,

RIGHT. so i took some green flower arranging thingumyjig stuff (dont know what its called, its like strange foam cripsy polystyrene, if anyone can help.) and made a raised roadway, with a lower field. Then i marked where the tanks tracks would be, and using a hacksaw blade as ita the same width funnily enough, i gently marked out ridges, so the tank will look heavy.

Ive now applied a layer of tile grout smoothing the upper part, and leaving the field a little rough.

When that dries, ill begin airbrushing the colour, with mud and texture and a dirt road above.

Ive also made a little signpost, and weathered it, and going to do some errr....er...signs on it.

Lastly, the commander of the tank was nicely posed out of the box with binoculars and a hand ready to hold a map. The rest of the kit had some other german soldiers, so i found a pair of legs that would suit....well, not in a suit.... And a body, a head and a twee little german hat.

One arm in the kit had a finer and thumb put, and the rest of the fingers clenched, so i cut the thumb off, cruel cruel modeller, and filed it round, and attached the arm so he is pointing in the right direction.

Then i got another arm, but try as i might, wouldnt go on in a way that would work. So i lit my tealight candle, using tweezers i held the elbow over the flame, and bent the arm till it poitioned where i wanted it.

So i now have a soldier, pointing to the sign and scratching his chin!

Anyway, once its finished i shall reveal photos, and you shall all be amazed!

Amazed that i bothered to waste bandwidth with another disaster!

But hey,

Have a great weekend!