TYPHOON AFTERMATH 1944 1/35 diorama

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This diorama depicts the aftermath of an attack by a rocket firing Typhoon on a Tiger tank which tried to cross a causeway. The blast has knocked out the tank and also destroyed an MG nest close by. The surviving tankers have just baled out. The last photo shows a second Tiger coming to help their comrades.

I have been wanting to do a destroyed tank for some time but a suitable donor has not been available, until now. It is a Tamiya early version. I took it to bits very carefully so I can re-build it fairly easily.

The crew are Alanger.

The MG nest was an after thought to balance the model a bit and is made from twigs, matches and a dyed kitchen roll for the tarp. The bodies ect are from my bit box.

I present for your inspection and all comments, tips and money will be gratefully received!! I will post some more pickies asap.

:beer:

Ron

View attachment 19916

View attachment 19917

View attachment 19918

View attachment 19919

View attachment 19920

View attachment 19921

View attachment 19922

View attachment 19923

View attachment 19924

View attachment 19925

busted tiger 010.jpg

busted tiger 008.jpg

busted tiger 004.jpg

busted tiger 036.jpg

busted tiger 006.jpg

busted tiger 014.jpg

busted tiger 016.jpg

busted tiger 019.jpg

busted tiger 018.jpg

busted tiger 031.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
WOW!! Very nice Ron, i take my hat off to you sir. Your first post and last photo is the money shot for me mate, love it. BTW, sorry i've not been on for a while, my grandfather is in hospital so work on my dio is slow. But it will get finished, Ron any ideas on your next build?

Have fun, John

D

dubster72

I love your dio's Ron-they really make you think that you're there-i was almost looking up for the jabo's returning! Lovely amount of detail as well with plenty to look at & enjoy. One small thing though-the Feifel air cleaner on the right-hand side has split open & even blast damage wouldn't do that! Still, I'd like to know how you find time to do all this good work :respect1:

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the kind words, John. Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, give him all the best from the 'forumers.' Yes, I like that last shot too, it's rather like your shot in the desert, i.e almost profile like.

I do have an idea for my next effort............!!!!?

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I love your dio's Ron-they really make you think that you're there-i was almost looking up for the jabo's returning! Lovely amount of detail as well with plenty to look at & enjoy. One small thing though-the Feifel air cleaner on the right-hand side has split open & even blast damage wouldn't do that! Still, I'd like to know how you find time to do all this good work :respect1:Patrick
Thanks for the comments Patrick. You are very observant my friend!!!

When I was doing the damage I split open the airfilter but wasn't totally happy with the result then I thought "No one will notice it."....WRONG.

I should have known better than to pull the wool over my learned buddies eyes!

But in an attempt at a miserable defence, blast can do the most strange things.....

I find the time at the moment 'cause the wife is glued to the box watching 'Strictly' again and again and..........!! Apart from that I have my bus pass now( the wife became eligable for hers yesterday) so I am doing some serious back peddling re. work commitments.

Cheers

Ron

D

dubster72

Lucky you! I'm sitting at work, supposed to be concentrating on what I'm doing but instead I'm thinking about better ways to bend PE tool clamps, so they don't end up all twisted! Now if I could get paid to build & model tanks, that would be heaven!

Cheers

Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ron ,hope you enjoyed your break.Once again youve come up with the goods! fantastic dio,really captures the moment, i love it. keep up the good work(but slow it down a bit ,youre making the rest of us look lazy!!!!) good to have you back cheers tony:bounce:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for that Tony, glad you like it. It's good to be back with my muckers again!

Thing is, I'm making more and more time for doing what I want to do these days, so obviously this gives me more time for modelling.(and a beer or two)

I will slow down though........Honest!! :wheelchai

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
its only jealousy,ron ,I wish i could knock em out a bit quicker,my stash is getting bigger and bigger!!I even bought some more armour from the newark expo,a1/35 universal carrier and a panzer.Back to the dio, dont worry about the typhoon coming back, my halftrack with AA gun will be ready soon,ill send it round!!!!! cheers tony:boom2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
its only jealousy,ron ,I wish i could knock em out a bit quicker,my stash is getting bigger and bigger!!I even bought some more armour from the newark expo,a1/35 universal carrier and a panzer.Back to the dio, dont worry about the typhoon coming back, my halftrack with AA gun will be ready soon,ill send it round!!!!! cheers tony:boom2:
Hey Tony, judging by your stash list, your halftrack with AA gun won't be knocking down a Typhoon, but the latest Euro fighter!!!! LOL

:lame:

Ron

N

noble

Ron my friend you have done it yet agvain very nice dio and i do love the damaged tiger it looks superb mate, the detail from start to finish is amazing....oh and i hope you enjoyed your break i have awarded it 5 stars as always ladies and gentlemen i give you the master. SUPERB keep it up.

Scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Ron my friend you have done it yet agvain very nice dio and i do love the damaged tiger it looks superb mate, the detail from start to finish is amazing....oh and i hope you enjoyed your break i have awarded it 5 stars as always ladies and gentlemen i give you the master. SUPERB keep it up.Scott
Thank you Scott for the very generous and quite undeserved 5 stars which I accept with thanks. It makes my coming back to all the doom and gloom in the U.K. more bearable!!!

I confess to being well pleased with this one and the natural light was just right for the pickies, especially the first 4 in the second set showing the tank on it's own....

Enough of my burbling, have you anything on the go, or is it a secret you will suprise us with ?

Ron

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
I thought I might as well post the second set now....I have took the liberty of having a play with the figures!!!!!!

The lighting was spot on for the first set and I am well chuffed with the result, I hope you like them.

Cheers,

Ron
Fantastic work as usual mate, you sneaked this one in, i never saw it. Where do you keep all these mate, what does the ball and chain think when you get another base board out. Ting Ting moans if i come back from a shoot with another trophy. "not more junk" she says. not, well done!! You would have thought by now that she should have realized that i am a crack shot with a 12 bore and that she should protest too much.

Andy:please:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Fantastic work as usual mate, you sneaked this one in, i never saw it. Where do you keep all these mate, what does the ball and chain think when you get another base board out. Ting Ting moans if i come back from a shoot with another trophy. "not more junk" she says. not, well done!! You would have thought by now that she should have realized that i am a crack shot with a 12 bore and that she should protest too much.Andy:please:
Thanks for the praise Andy. I've wanted to do a busted tank for a while now and am pleased with the result.

Where do I keep them?...The present Mrs. Ron is quite agile and is quite used to stepping around them on the lounge/dining/ kitchen/bathroom and bedroom floors...even in the dark!

She is a bit selfish though and expects ME to move them when we have friends round!! I mean, come on!!!!

:ranting2::ranting2:

Ron

N

noble

\ said:
Thank you Scott for the very generous and quite undeserved 5 stars which I accept with thanks. It makes my coming back to all the doom and gloom in the U.K. more bearable!!!I confess to being well pleased with this one and the natural light was just right for the pickies, especially the first 4 in the second set showing the tank on it's own....

Enough of my burbling, have you anything on the go, or is it a secret you will suprise us with ?

Ron
Hi Ron iam as you say planning somthing.... a desert diorama next missing one key ingredient though and can't find it anywhere, i will have to move bits around a little i think otherwise this will be another large base. I have also just come into possesion of an Italeri 1:35 schnelboot, it measures aronud 100cm long so when it is built i will put that in some sort of dio although i don't know what yet. As i don't do boats i confess to being a little nervous with this one, any suggestions will be appreciated.

scott:dancing1:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Ron iam as you say planning somthing.... a desert diorama next missing one key ingredient though and can't find it anywhere, i will have to move bits around a little i think otherwise this will be another large base. I have also just come into possesion of an Italeri 1:35 schnelboot, it measures aronud 100cm long so when it is built i will put that in some sort of dio although i don't know what yet. As i don't do boats i confess to being a little nervous with this one, any suggestions will be appreciated.scott:dancing1:
Why don't you let the boys know what you are looking for? I'm sure we will be able to help..or is it a secret? !!!! lol

Regarding the schnelboot, I did a Bismark diorama which I posted. This was my first attempt at boats too. I was going to it show it on the open sea but I realised that seas were beyond me so I opted for a flat water fyord scene instead, with a few shoreline buildings.

How about something like that... in a harbour perhaps?

If your model is 'full hull' try what I did and cut the base board and lower the boat into the hole!

:regards:

Ron

D

dubster72

Hi Scott, if an 'open-sea' dio is what you're after, there are two things that could help. First, use a picture frame for the dio base (most pound shops sell them), then cut a polystyrene tile to the right size so it fits nicely. Then cut out the shape of the hull so its lower section is held by the tile. You don't want the tile to reach the waterline as that's the other part of my idea! So secondly, get some 'liquitex', which is a gel medium added to acrylic paints to make them brush like oils. Its clear & can be tinted by paint. Maybe you could use Tamiya transparent paint, the kind they make for model car bodies? Or try a technique that I'm experimenting with-mixing small amounts of transparent paint with 'Klear' floor polish for a filtering effect. I've not used it on a model yet, but it really gives depth to any surface. Well, some ideas for you to mull over! Cheers Patrick

N

noble

\ said:
Why don't you let the boys know what you are looking for? I'm sure we will be able to help..or is it a secret? !!!! lolRegarding the schnelboot, I did a Bismark diorama which I posted. This was my first attempt at boats too. I was going to it show it on the open sea but I realised that seas were beyond me so I opted for a flat water fyord scene instead, with a few shoreline buildings.

How about something like that... in a harbour perhaps?

If your model is 'full hull' try what I did and cut the base board and lower the boat into the hole!

:regards:

Ron
Hi Ron iam looking for a palm tree as the only place you generally see them in the desert is around an oasis...could this be a clue:nono:, i have seen the thread on how to make them but i'm not that talented and the website heathers trees seems to be shut down. So i can't seem to find anything in the scale that i need so if you have any ideas let me know. As for the schnellboot the thing is huge so iam still thinking on that for now but i do like the harbour idea.

scott

N

noble

\ said:
Hi Scott, if an 'open-sea' dio is what you're after, there are two things that could help. First, use a picture frame for the dio base (most pound shops sell them), then cut a polystyrene tile to the right size so it fits nicely. Then cut out the shape of the hull so its lower section is held by the tile. You don't want the tile to reach the waterline as that's the other part of my idea! So secondly, get some 'liquitex', which is a gel medium added to acrylic paints to make them brush like oils. Its clear & can be tinted by paint. Maybe you could use Tamiya transparent paint, the kind they make for model car bodies? Or try a technique that I'm experimenting with-mixing small amounts of transparent paint with 'Klear' floor polish for a filtering effect. I've not used it on a model yet, but it really gives depth to any surface. Well, some ideas for you to mull over! Cheers Patrick
Hi Patrick i do love the ideas thanks but i don't build boats and this is a big baby so iam a little nervous, i will definately mull the ideas over and see what happens.

thanks

scott