Tyre colour. whats the tamyia mix

F

Fenlander

Tyres are rarely ever black but a very dark to quite light grey. For fairly good tyres I tend to use either Tamiya Nato Black which has a green ting that takes the edge off the black, for greyer tyres I use Revell anthracite which is a very dark grey but still grey if you know what I mean. It is then down to drybrushing to bring out detail and to match them to the terrain they are in. I think aircraft tyres should mainly look in good fairly clean condition but others may disagree. (they usually do.....)

You can get away with using Tamiya German Grey made to anything darker by mixing black into it.

R

Richy C

I use vallejo german grey , nearest colour I`ve found to look like a real tyre , I`ve tried many of the tamiya colours but they never look right and the vallejo`s acrylic.

Richy

B

bikerbart

Im being converted to Vallejo rather rapidly. They are super paints and i like the fact you can just squeeze out the amount you need, nice n tidy and clean. Acrylics are a god send. I tend to do tyres flat black and then use mig pigments to dirty them, seem s to work well for my needs :smiling:

F

Fenlander

Depends where and what the weather was like. That is not being funny, it really does depend on the ground colour you are using on your base/dio. As they came off the beaches, there would be light sandy dust but probably not as much as when going along roads which can be from light grey, tan to an earthy brown. remember that dust would show on tires but only as a fine coating. Where it gets heavy is cross country where dust turns to soil or mud. Again this can be from a tan colour to almost black. Tamiya Deck Tan, Flat Earth and Buff can be used to good effect for dusty tyres but be sparing if it is dust, a tyre could only hold so much as dust would fine coat but never get thick. For wet mud, mix some gloss varnish into the colour or Klear to give it a slightly shiny wet look, again don't go mad remember to tone things down to keep the appearance in scale.

P

Plastickitbasher

I use Vallejo Black Grey once dirty and weathered looks fine to me.

You could also try Vallejo Panzer Aces Dark Rubber works ok for aircraft tires

Hope it helps

Regards

David

J

JFJ

\ said:
Tyres are rarely ever black but a very dark to quite light grey. For fairly good tyres I tend to use either Tamiya Nato Black which has a green ting that takes the edge off the black, for greyer tyres I use Revell anthracite which is a very dark grey but still grey if you know what I mean. It is then down to drybrushing to bring out detail and to match them to the terrain they are in. I think aircraft tyres should mainly look in good fairly clean condition but others may disagree. (they usually do.....)You can get away with using Tamiya German Grey made to anything darker by mixing black into it.
I actually think the German Gray is already quite dark. Now Im no expert but it should be around German Grey:75+Black:25

F

Fenlander

Dry Normandy roads, I would do a very, very light drybrush of XF57 Buff or if off road, possibly XF52 Dark earth, maybe a 50/50 mix of each. Keep it light as you can always add a bit more but too much and it back to the start.

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Great ive got buff. i'll try it out. I have trouble dry brushing tamyia it just puts a shine on things.

F

Fenlander

Drybrushing is not as easy as some make out to get it right. I have to admit, I do little of it now. I prefer to use water based washes to achieve similar effects, especially on tyres. The Promodeller clay based washes are perfect for this as you can get a nice effect by brushing it all over a tyre, let it dry then using a barely damp cotton bud, wipe the wash off the tyre leaving the wash in the recesses. Either the mud brown, sand or the new concrete washes will give great effect. Good thing about them is that if you over do it, you can wipe it of with a wet brush at any time as it leaves a clay based residue. These great washes are available from the shop here If I was to get just one to try it, the new concrete would be a great all rounder as it will give a dust look to just about anything including the vehicle itself

B

backonthecase

If it helps, I use tamiya XF-1 with XF-64 red brown mixed in at around 2 parts XF-64 to 5 parts XF-1. I picked this up from a marvellous Brett Green book.

After painting, I also use Mig pigments mixed into a wash with windscreen washer fluid and wipe off the excess once dry. Check out my Tamiya 6x6 thread for an idea of my results.

Hope this Helps

Stuart

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I won't comment on vehicle weathering (definitely not qualified!) but I'd like to reinforce what has already been said about tyre colours. They are not black at full size,just look at your car,nevermind at a smaller scale,taking a scale effect into account. On aircraft I use WEM "tyre black" which is actually a darkish grey as a basis and then weather according to time and place.

Cheers

Steve