Using an airbrush without being near ventilation?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
To be honest Max, you should use a mask even when spraying acrylic paint. It’s not just the solvent that can cause issues, pigment particles are not great either. The paint booths are useful for controlling overspray but not much else. The filters are too coarse to trap fine particles and solvent needs active filtration rather than filter mesh.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Richard mate, a rule of thumb from industrial safety is that if you can smell it, you probably shouldnt, so get PPE....lacquer thinner is cellulose thinner based, and is pretty carcinogenic....nufff said....

M

MarshMan

Hi again Richard
It’s coming up to winter here in the UK and your suggestion of ‘veranda or porch’ made me chuckle ! But I do know what you mean about certain smells, many years ago I used to go for regular physiotherapy and there was always a background smell of ether. Now it may have been that I was a young lad, naked on a couch being massaged by female physiotherapists made the memory stronger, but I certainly remember it! On the very odd occasion that I smell ether these days (I don’t think they use it in hospitals anymore) it brings back floods of memories.

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard mate, a rule of thumb from industrial safety is that if you can smell it, you probably shouldnt, so get PPE....lacquer thinner is cellulose thinner based, and is pretty carcinogenic....nufff said....

Yup I hear you Tim...thats why a respirator mask that makes me look like some guy in the post nuclear movie is at hand when spraying. Same thing applies to resin dust from sanding.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi again Richard
It’s coming up to winter here in the UK and your suggestion of ‘veranda or porch’ made me chuckle ! But I do know what you mean about certain smells, many years ago I used to go for regular physiotherapy and there was always a background smell of ether. Now it may have been that I was a young lad, naked on a couch being massaged by female physiotherapists made the memory stronger, but I certainly remember it! On the very odd occasion that I smell ether these days (I don’t think they use it in hospitals anymore) it brings back floods of memories.

:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:....ether a huh... Forgot about the weather up there. Here, we rather work in airconditioned rooms which is a problem for airbrushing as well so the veranda or porch is the all weather solution for most of us. I have a friend that has to occasionally pause in between strong breeze to airbrush fine detail. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
ho ho Wow! Max...I think you can go to space with that. Actually I don't know. Any mask cannot guarantee 100% safety and I don't know the micron size of model paint or solvent particles. But for me it's Wow.

Cheers,
Richard

M

MarshMan

Well, answering my own question, it would appear that my mask which I bought originally for wood sawing, is not good enough for airbrushing. So yet another expense! Yes, I know these are one off expenses, but I didn’t realise just how MUCH outlay was needed. Note to self - do more research in future!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Max
Personally I would say that P2 is fine for water based acrylic. If you want solvent protection go for Organic vapour A2/P3 rated filters....

M

MarshMan

Hi Max
Personally I would say that P2 is fine for water based acrylic. If you want solvent protection go for Organic vapour A2/P3 rated filters....
Thanks for that Tim. I’m still in the process of rethinking exactly what I’m going to do, but any input such as yours is helpful.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Max who did you by the paint from ? as I said before most suppliers are keen to seen to be helpful. If is not to long ago and not opened they might ask for a restocking charge.

Tims right about the mask, I use A2/P3 filters in mine. Your not going to wearing it for hrs anyway.
I used to wear one at work sometimes for 6 /8 hrs. Then it was always great to take it off, and clean it.
John.

M

MarshMan

Okay all, I’ve bitten th bullet and decided that I’m going to buy one of the portable spray booths AND a new 3M mask. So hopefully my problem is solved; will update if necessary.
Thanks again to all who’ve helped !
Max

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No problem Max, sounds like exactly the same kit I use.....good call!