USS CONSTITUTION 1:196

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
thanks ken, looked up USS Constitution and on the pics it has no figurine on the front. But in the instruction it got one confused O.o . so I stuck it on like the instruction said so. Also on the instructions it says paint mast white but in this pic its white then brown back to little bit of white up top then brown then white for the last top piece help confused O.o . PS ken did the Wikipedia help you find out about the ww1 parachutes 

o.jpg

o2.jpg

o3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

james pithouse

First Name
James
enjoy these tried cocktail sticks for lettering did not gave up need transfer name really for back of the boat the scale of boat is  1:196. But i hoped the cocktail sticks worked on the rest so far

WP_20161121_21_33_13_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20161121_21_33_50_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20161121_21_34_32_Pro[1].jpg

james pithouse

First Name
James
NEED DECAL for 1:196 scale for this model USS Constitution ( wording saying constitution as it is fish cake hard to paint getting very angry stupid size to try and paint even with cocktail stick tried different sites can not find one for this size REVEL should do the wording in decal in stead of pressing it to the molds idiots of old sailing ships.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
NEED DECAL for 1:196 scale for this model USS Constitution ( wording saying constitution as it is fish cake hard to paint getting very angry stupid size to try and paint even with cocktail stick tried different sites can not find one for this size REVEL should do the wording in decal in stead of pressing it to the molds idiots of old sailing ships.

James, an easy way to 'paint' small lettering is to paint the area of the letters white. When dry, paint all over with black (Letters and all) then when dry, gently rub the letters with very fine sandpaper to remove the black paint....up pops the white letters. They won't be shiny white, but neither would the original, after being at sea for a while, giving the British Navy a good kicking! 

I use the above method and I hope it might be of some use to you.

Ron

D

Deleted member 3568

Brilliant idea Ron, you should Deffo try that Jim. 

D

Deleted member 3568

Jim revell are notorious for issuing the same model as a different ship, take the cutty sark they issued that as the Thermopylae and another one (the name escapes me Pedro Nunnes or something like that) they change a bit and call it a different ship with little historical accuracy, go by the photos not the instructions.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant idea Ron, you should Deffo try that Jim. 

Glad to be of some assistance. We are all here to help if we can.

Jim, the best thing to use is the nail file thingy women use....or similar.  Be very gentle when removing the paint....Gently, gently, catch the monkey!  

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Or paint the letters white as Ron says then give them a coat of clear, then when that's dry paint it all black. Then with a cotton bud gently wipe the black off the letters.

james pithouse

First Name
James
hi guys decided to smudge the white while wet and I hope its ok hope you can read it enjoy

WP_20161123_12_35_49_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20161123_12_45_16_Pro[1].jpg

James,

Could you paint the name black, mask off the surrounding area (above, below and each side) and then lightly dry-brush the letters from different directions (diagonally?) to build up the white over several applications (even do the first dry-brush with a light grey)

The coppering on the rudder should end in line with that on the hull.

I've 'The Anatomy of the Ship' book for Constitution. Any queries I'd be happy to look for them.

Tom

james pithouse

First Name
James
given up better with decal b***** thing revell is s**& for printing names Decal lot easier >:sad:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Loving the work so far.

I thought the name on my 1\96 one was hard if I had your scale it would be in the bin by now.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
given up better with decal b***** thing revell is s**& for printing names Decal lot easier >:sad:

James, don't give up with the lettering. At least give the method I describe a try. I've been 'painting' raised lettering and scroll work like yours for ages. It's a very simple process.

No offence Ian, but cotton buds are nowhere near fine enough and smudge the letters. 

james pithouse

First Name
James
OK i will have a go again. Repairing HMS bounty dropped years ago never got round to repairing it, and smashed the mast and the front ( nr dolphin striker it will be under HMS bounty repair) thanks Ron