USS Intrepid project

M

Mooks

Hi all.

I need some advice.

My good lady wife has bought me Revels 1/720 USS Intrepid for my birthday as we are visiting NYC this May. Its ok, I know Intrepid was updated and the model depicts the WWII version. Its still going to be a lovely little desk piece to remind me of our trip.

My question is that I would like to complement this model with a bit more detail and I would like to use some PE on her. there are no 1/720 PE sets but my research has led me to believe that Toms Model Works produce a 1/700 Essex Class set.

Would 1/700 look ok on 1/720 or is it massively under scale?

Has anyone used Toms Model works before? Is there a UK supplier?

Thanks for reading this. Once I have finished my current project, I may post a Under Construction thread.

D

Deleted member 4539

I have made many ship's in 1/700 and 1/350.

Never made a 1/720 kit before.

I have used 1/700 Toms Modelworks a few times,the parts are quite an accurate fit and I'm not sure how they will be on a 1/720 kit.

Maybe if you just use railings on your kit they shouldn't look out of scale.

There is no UK supplier for Toms Modelworks,but if you use their website they are very reliable when posting to the UK,I've usually received stuff within a week or so.

Hope this helps.

Ralph.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
A 1200mm railing (about 4ft) in 1/700 would be about 1.71mm high. In 1/720 it's about 1.67mm, so they'd be about 0.4mm too high. Some of the plastic details will be overscale due to casting limitations, so you're not going to get a 100% accurate kit in any case.

I suspect that a lot of the PE would be OK but you'd have to try the individual items in situ to see if they look right. I'd check that before cutting away details from the plastic. I seriously doubt that anyone would get a rule to check exact sizes so it's just a matter of the overall appearance and whether you're happy with it.

M

Mooks

Thats brilliant news. Thanks for answering guys.

Ralph, glad to hear I can order direct and that you have had good service.

Gern, thanks for the help with the scale. I was never going for a 100% accurate model. The Revell kit is very basic so I just wanted to add a bit more depth to it to make it a longer project and less toy like.

Overall, wonderful answers that means I am happier to head in the direction I was hoping for.

Construction pictures will take awhile as I have an Airfix 1/48 Merlin on the desk and I will not be ordering the PE for Intrepid yet as I need the spending money for a Pastrami on Rye!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The museum on Intrepid is really worth a visit as is the USS Growler berthed on the quay next to it. You will not be disappointed.

M

Mooks

Yes, the Museum is on my to-do list. I have been to NYC before but Intrepid was out. I cannot remember if it was a tour or maintenance.

The Long Haired General was going to buy me tickets for my birthday but I get free entry so she thought the model was a cool idea. She was right.

The PE is going to be twice as much as the model but it will make it more of a project and less toy like. The current detail is basic to say the least so I bit of brass here and there will enhance it massively.