USS Lexington egg ship.

A

Armorguy

Hello friends, I'm glad to be back at the bench after a long period of absence. It had everything to do with my parents health issues, it wasn't a lack of modeling mojo...
The build of this little cute floater was super straightforward so let's move on to the painting chapter.
I airbrushed on multiple shades of grey with the brightest sprayed on from above. The flight deck was done with a darker grey. I used the stickers (no decals) as masks to create the yellow stripes by first applying the yellow/stickering/and finally spraying on the dark grey.
View attachment 321349
A base was made from balsa foam, mdf wood panel and plastic sheet.
View attachment 321350
The base was given a couple of blue shades and then AK Pacific Gel was dabbed on with an old brush. I immediately liked the effect and I'm not talented in creating seascapes.
View attachment 321352
I also added AK Transparent gel to the surface and finished with AK Foam effects, later on finished with cotton pad.
View attachment 321353
The cotton pieces were secured in a fresh layer of transparent gel.
The planes on deck and one taking off...I used guitar string to get them up in the air.
View attachment 321354
And two more...
View attachment 321355
I'll finish up tomorrow, thanks for watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Armorguy

Thank you Jim ! Strange, I created one thread on the subject and I see three similar threads appear ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very neat, clean build, Guy.
Excellent sea too.
This type of model is really not my cup of tea, but each to his own and top marks for a job well done.

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Guy,

This is so cute (can't think of another word) and so well done. I love the planes and what you have done with them flying around. Fine job on the water too!!!

There is a Group Build coming up called 'The Great "Toon" Challenge' as the theme. It includes egg kits. toon tanks and other kits like Them. Pete Low is running it. Starts 1 Feb...

I do hope all is well on the home front...

Prost
Allen

A

Armorguy

I'm glad you like it friends, these toon thingies are pretty relaxing and fun between two "serious" builds, in my case the Cheers! diorama and the Panther on a flatbed railcar.
I had a blast and therefor I purchased the Scharnhorst egg ship yesterday.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Guy,
Good to see you modelling again, sorry to hear your folks haven’t been well.

Lovely work on the Lexington and seascape....planes look cool too:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Guy, glad your building again and you haven't lost your touch, very nicely done, the aircraft are very cool and love the sea. As Si mentioned I'm running GB and it would be great to have you join in.
Pete. :thumb2:

A

Armorguy

Thank you sir, the planes were fun to show them up in the air with thin guitar string. It looks silly when you touch it and the planes start swinging.:smiling5:
I have an idea for the Scharnhorst too, I'll see if I can realize it during the build.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thank you sir, the planes were fun to show them up in the air with thin guitar string. It looks silly when you touch it and the planes start swinging.:smiling5:
I have an idea for the Scharnhorst too, I'll see if I can realize it during the build.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Scharnhorst Guy.