V2 - Vengeance From Above

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude1 .
My word you don't disappoint. Much scratchery indeed looking very smart .
Start on the genset and you will get an answer !
Fences R us !
Dude 2

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Dude 2,
There is so much to do on the Steyr. I'm afraid if I do start on the gen and have it almost done, then I will get an answer. I just don't know if the hair I ripped out (building the gen) will grow back in this lifetime!

Ok, Are you done with the fence or not??? Did you get the drain run built on it yet??? How did you get to join the site on 26 May, 2015??? Hmmm!!!
Prost
Allen

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ha, all will be revealed !
Enjoy your long weekend Dude1.
Dude 2

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice work Allen, wish my scratchery attempts would be as clean ! Inspiring stuff indeed !

B

Brad9826

Allen,
Ausgezeichneter Kratzer mein freund, Lass es laufen, (hope that sounds right, long time since I used German, hope I'm not saying something stupid and you get the gist of it). Anyway great skills.:thumb2:

Reactions: JR
J

Jim Barry

Nice work, Allen. You are in the zone! I'm reading the book Operation Paperclip now about how America located the Nazi/German scientists in 1945 and got them to work for us (and not the Russians). Great stuff. Lots of stories about the V2. Interesting tidbits like the night of the first launches one of the designer/scientists wept as it took off (I think simply for the grandeur of a rocket and less about the death it would impart on civilians) .

First Name
Wouter
Now that scratcherizing looks good mate, always impressed with people able to do that so tidy!

And General-Oberst ey? That would be Oberst-Gruppenführer chap :tongue-out: (their uniforms were a tad better looking, the bad stuff I'm not mentioning of course!)

Anyway, keep up the good work Herr Flick!

Cheers

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greg :smiling2:I am sitting in bed trying not to laugh as the time is 00.04 , and Christine will be convinced I have gone completely mad , it's a good job that I wasn't drinking !

Allen and Steve will spit out their coffee's out all the place when they read this .
Has to be the best post of 2018 :thumb2:
John :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Looking good Allen - you seem to have managed to find some cracking reference photos as well

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Rocketeers (and Prairie Dogs around the world),
I'm a bit behind here as work has been crazy. After driving 515 miles for a delivery, you just want to go home and chill, but you end up dozing off into lala land and forget about hobby time. Tomorrow looks like another 500 mile drive too and then weekend!!!.....So,

Dude 2 - It's the end of the week and I'm still waiting to know! Done or not?

Ron - Thanks Sir, But it's all done with mirrors to make it look neat. Your scratch probably looks a lot better...

Brad - Not too shabby buddy! Kratzer are scratches (like in paint), Kratzen could work, but in German, most say selbstbau. (made myself). Glad you like it...

Jim B - So true My friend. back then the American's took care of the scientists and the Russians used them for all they could and them isolated them from the project. Many had visions of travelling into outer space and even landing on the moon. I don't think they realized how many people died as forced labor for the production of the V2. It was many times higher than the number of people the V2 actually killed in use. Very sad indeed…..

Wouter - Yea buddy, we'll just leave it and keep on scratching on. Please don't look too closely, Ok??? Thanks....

Greg - Ok Dude Now there are 10,003 comedians out of work!!! Really though, You had me busting out laughing with this one. I hope Steve saw it too. Lucky for me, I wasn't drinking anything at the time of it would have flown everywhere!!! Thanks for that and I'll try harder...

Simon - Thanks my friend. I have been digging high and low and in a lot of German archives. Very time consuming to say the least and not too easy to find what you're looking for. Sometimes I do get lucky though. BTW, I found killer reference pics for 3 or 4 more pieces of V2 equipment, but they would have to be scratched for the most part...…...…..

A small update is in order as I had three days to play a bit earlier this week. Going against my better judgement, but with Paul E's great suggestion, I raided the Dragon 88mm Flak 37, 3n1 kit for these……….
IMG_1344.JPG
I modified the 3 reel mount legs in the middle with a piece of plastic with a pin to hold them up. I also wound some old wire on the first one, but the wire is too thick. The black twine came with the kit too. Gonna try it next to see if I can get 8 rows of wire across on the reel. I then remembered that this whole shebang had to fit into the trunk of the Steyr...………….
IMG_1345.JPG
Yea Baby, got lucky on this one. It should fit like a glove in the trunk when the time comes. I also cleaned the edges of the back plate to fit to the side panels. Work was then stopped on the Steyr as I still haven't heard from Leadwarrior about the generator for the interior. I need to see if it fits how I need it to fit behind the driver's seat. I have also been pondering how to make the vented panel on the side for the generator. I do have some sheet pewter that might work if I am careful enough.
So, Moving on, We went to work on the radio van body from the Italeri Opel Blitz Tankwagen to fit on the Maultier chassis. This body housed big reels of wire for the electrical hook ups between power source and V2. It doesn't have a roof or a floor in the kit. The roof is an easy scratch from sheet plastic and we'll use the floor from the Maultier, but...……………..
IMG_1346.JPG
We have to narrow the floor as it is too wide. No Biggie and it only took 10 minutes to do. Now we have to compare the 2 bodies to make the radio van body look like this one...…………………..
maultier_01[1].jpg
(For Discussion Purposes Only)
That meant filling a lot of holes on the panels that aren't needed for this version. You can see one of the large reels in the window and the storage locker built into the wheel wells with padlock and chain. The 2 rear flaps are where the cable comes out and the 4 poles with screw ends are grounding anchors. We started stretching sprue over the tealight candle and came up with this……………..
IMG_1348.JPG
These were put aside to dry and we went to work on the main item here. The Opel Maultier itself……………………………….
IMG_1347.JPG
This is an older kit from Italeri and does require a bit of clean up. After the clean up, the parts actually fit together well and the whole chassis is level and square. At the top of the pic is 2 diffs. The kit diff in tan and the diff from my built Maultier in grey. This kit does not give you the axle cover for the diff like the one in grey. It's nowhere to be found on the sprues. The destructions show it on the sprocket, but it isn't there. Pretty crazy!!! Luckily, my diff was not glued too tight on my built Maultier, so I'll use it here. I also will use the tracks as they have a good join and won't come apart when handled. The resin road wheels look good too!

Ok, enough blah-blah for now. Thanks for dropping in and following my madness. More scratchy scratchy to come as well as other thangs!!!
Prost
Allen Allen Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
Sorry about your long work hours. Something us retired guys don't miss :thumb2:
Despite it though progress is good. Love what your doing. Great research and very skilled work.
Drive safe.
Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking good Allen, great to read that beside the long work days you still find some bench time.:thumb2:
Hope the rest of the Maultier comes together without a hitch.
Drive safe and take care.

Fernando

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Allen... happy that i mdr u laugh... drive safely
Greg

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Allen,

I don't know if of use but I have made louvred panels in the past using a chisel type blade ground to the correct width - line it up and punch it through the pewter

Once you have the slots cut slide a blade through each hole and bend up the side of the slot to form the raised louvre

That panel looks a bit more challenging though as the louvres vary in width

Wouldn't it have made more sense to scratch the cable reels for the back of the Steyr using the flak ones as a pattern rather than robbing them from the kit? :thinking:

Reactions: JR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Allen,
Just caught up to your build, lots of interesting scratch work going on, with lots of chopping and changing. Louvres, not loofers, the excess brass that comes with the etch, you know that stuff left over that forms the frame. Two bits of plasic square strip with slight grooves cut in at the angle you want, then cut the brass to length (the width is nearly always what you want), slot the brass into top and bottom groove and once dry add the others. Hope this helps.
500 mile drive, not bad, did you sleep for the rest of the day? :hugging-face: I know how you feel, I used to do it and more every day untill I finally retired a couple of years ago, it wears you down, take it easy.
Cheers, MikeC.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hello mate

Great update. You have alot going on so dont go stcking rocket fins on Opel side panels. Unless you have been at the beer again:smiling5:

Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry for the late replies fine folks as the tropical heat and work has cooked the brain a bit. There seems to be no end in sight either. Over 30° C everyday with no rain in sight. BTW, No driving last Friday as we got a 40 ft. container full of tires (approx 700) to play with…So,

Jim - Thanks Sir and I am wanting to retire in 2 years so I will hopefully get more table time. I did the Dresden trip on Monday and it was only 688 kms total...

Fernando - Thanks my friend and the Maultier is going well. The only prob is the heat and wearing the optivisor. Your forehead sweats like crazy with it on and you can only play for an hour or two as it is so hot.

Scottie - Thanks Buddy! I'm still highly Mojovated, but I wish it was a bit cooler!

Guy - Welcome aboard and pull up a chair. Cold ones in the fridge and an update coming soon. Just hope it doesn't grow any more.

Greg - You da man Buddy. I still have to laugh about it. I always try to drive safe, but there are just too many idiots out there on the highways…..

Simon - Thanks Simon! I did spend a few hours doing measurements and marking out some scrap alu sheet from a salad dressing package. with all the different widths, I just had a brain meltdown and decided the best way I could do this (and remain sane) was to score the plastic cover I made. After painting I will do a black wash into the scores and it should? look the part. Yea, it was a snap decision to rob the Flak. In total, I will need 7 reels so I will scratch the rest and put the scratched ones in the trunk and the good ones in the Steyr....

Mike - Thanks Sir and I too thought of using scrap etch frames for them. The bad news is it was just all too small for me to handle without going totally bonkers doing it. It's funny, but when I get home after a long drive, I might nod off for an hour, but that's it. Only a couple of more years...……..

Stevie Wonder - Thank you too Stevie and I do have to be careful. My prob is trying to measure everything for cutting and keeping it square. I usually have to make the part more than once or when I do get it square, it's to big and I have to make it smaller (and keep it square)…..Oh, and the beer helps, trust me!

I actually did make pics for an update, but forgot to post one. I will try and fix that and post one in the morn. It's a holiday here in Bayern on Thursday so I can play at the table and sling glue around some parts!!! I also need to catch up on the great builds here too. I'm always behind the power curve on that.
Thanks again for the great support and help!!!

Prost
Allen