V2 - Vengeance From Above

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Allen
Really looking forward to the progress on this.
I too have the Takom kit and a few Lead warrior vehicles to create the same scene. What I'd really like to see is a 1/35 towed fuel bowser - may have to scratch build one.
Keep up the great work!
Cheers
Paul

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen,
Great work so far, shame you used the reels out of the 88mm but I think you did it deliberately to justify buying the PE update for it, looking forward to the next update
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Late Afternoon All Fellow Rocketeers (and Headbangers*),

I'm finally going to post this update before the weekend building blast begins and the fridge is out of cold ones...But first,

Paul - Thank you Sir for coming along on my madness. I wouldn't worry about scratching the bowser unless you plan on depicting one of the 3 test launches done by the British in October, 1945. They were the only ones to use the bowser for fueling. The bowser was a Luftwaffe item. Operational V2 units never used them. They used Opel Blitz 3t Tankwagens, F 404 for B-Stoff and F 405 for T-Stoff. I wish I had seen the Leadwarrior kits sooner as I got some from Azimut. When are you planning to start yours if I may ask?

Jim - Thank you too, but it was (kinda) a bad case of laziness on my part. I just ordered the Gen set and a set of Opel Blitz resin tires too. I am not sure how many reels I'll need in the end though. So far it looks like at least 7 - 8...

On the last episode of Slice and Dice, we had plugged up the parts for the van body for the Maultier. We had also narrowed the floor too. While still on a roll and a few cold one left in the fridge, we hacked away at the Maultier cab to give it a little used look. The one side louvre will show a glimpse of the motor. I also got rid of the Opel Blitz emblem on the radiator grill. Late war Opels didn't have them...
IMG_1352.JPG
I then went back to the Steyr louvre/vents for the generator and played with some measurements on salad dressing foil. After 2 hours, I gave up as there would be no way for me to slice all the louvres into the foil and remain sober sane!!! I will etch the plastic piece and do a black wash after the paint is on it...
IMG_1351.JPG
Back at the Maultier van body, I decides to cut all the pieces for the roof and the roof trim. The body also has an extension on the roof too. Looking again at my reference pics, I noticed that the vents (left and right) over the side panel windows had to go too. Sliced them off and cleaned up the mess as best as I could. I then laid out the pieces for this holiday photo……….
IMG_1349.JPG
Next up was gluing the four panels together and keeping them square. That went well and after they dried for a while, it was time to glue on the roof. Did a test fit and...DOH!!! It wasn't wide enough because I didn't take the curve into account while making it. What the hey, I cut out a new one and by George, it fit. So we glued one side and waited………………..
IMG_1353.JPG
I then glued it on the other side. One of the times in life when you wished you had three hands as other side panel was warped……………….
IMG_1354.JPG
Sorry for the blurry pic, but it all held together and we have curved roof. In the meantime, I had also glued the roof extension together and was letting it dry too. The big moment had arrived and it was time to see if they fit together……………...
IMG_1355.JPG
Boy, did I get lucky. It's not glued on yet, but you can see the marks for where it goes. There is still lots to do on the main roof and the body anyway.
Trim has been glued on the main roof. It needs some tidying up with putty. Now we went back to dicing more plastic sheet. We needed to make the wheel well storage locker doors and the window shades for the body windows. The cable exit flaps were also conjured up...…………..
IMG_1359.JPG
We just have to put it all together now and add the little bits to it. When I'm finished, I only hope it looks like this………..
maultier_01[1].jpg
I might just throw a camo net on top to cover up all my butchery scratch work!!! Thanks for stopping in and have a great plastic weekend. Remember, weekend = beer garden bench time!!!!!!!!
Prost
Allen
* This weekend is "Rock Im Park" and "Rock Am Ring" here in Germany. 3 day festivals for headbangers of all ages……………………………………….

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Paul,
Thanks my friend! Still hotter than hell, but the show must go on. You have a fantastic weekend too!!!

Double Prost At Ya!
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Allen,
Been following this project since your first posting on MM. Am impressed as well as inspired.
I can't wait till you start the Hanomag and LOX trailer. I've been wanting to build one in 1-87 scale
for some time now. Keep up the god work!

Rick H.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr D,
Terrific work with the roof...your quite good at this chopping and sticking lark
Si

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Guten Abend, Herr Dewire.
Ich liebe die Dachschaberei, Schade um es zu vertuschen.

Enough of that, took me all of 3 minutes !
Great work my friend.
Dude 2

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great update mate! I dont know how much of the engine you want to show through the grill but there are plenty of photos showing holes in the slats if that helps. Also have you thought of putting on a horse shoe on the slats as this seemed quite popular on the opel also?

Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Once Again Rocketeers,

I started writing a post yesterday and for some reason I hit the wrong key and off it went to Alpha Centauriville. The temps here in the Fatherland are still too warm for maximum production. We have 30° C temps every day and have had no rain at all. I have been doing my best to keep going, so without further ado……...

Rick - Thank you Sir! I would love to have started LOX trailer, but my kit was missing a couple of parts. Without the fourth leaf spring, we can't build a trailer. I am hoping to have them shortly and after the Maultier and the Steyr (basic part/scratch pieces test fits), I will start the LOX kit. I do have 2 Hanomags to build and will probably do them together. Does anyone make these kits in 1/87 scale??? I know there are 1/72 scale kits for most all of the primary vehicles in the V2 battery.

Si - Hey my friend, I'm trying my darndest to scratchy up whatever I can. I am really enjoying it too, even if I have to make a lot of things 2 times as the first one was not right. Thanks and Keep Mardering!!! (No, I didn't say murdering). My best to the family too!!!

Dzhon - Buddy, you ought to be arrested!!! Only kidding John...Just don't get too crazy with the gurgle translator. Thanks Sir!!!

Stevie - Thanks too my man! On a Blitz, you won't see really anything behind the grill except the radiator. I thought about opening both side panels, but I'm not going to super detail the motor. On the left side you will see the carb with air cleaner and the exhaust manifold only. If I had opened the other side, then I would have to scratch a distributor, spark plugs and other things. Gonna use the KISS method here or I will never finish this project in this lifetime. The horse shoe is a good idea and I will kick it around a bit. Thanks for that......Be good!

A small update if I may,
While knocking up pieces for the van body I almost forgot the electric terminal on the right side in front of the door. Made 2 grab handle out of copper wire for the side and back. OOPs, I need to fill the 2 holes ASAP. I also threw together a spare tire and fuel can rack for the roof of the Opel cab. I used the upper wood slats from the Maultier bed side panels and some more sheet plastic...……………….
IMG_1361.JPG
Moving on, I added the 2 cable exit doors that are on the back along with the other wire handle...……….
IMG_1362.JPG
I made up the fuel can rack by measuring a fuel can from Dragon. The 3 fuel cans and the PE center pieces came from kit 6434, 38T with full interior. As I attempted to put the cans together with the etch middle piece, this happened...……….
IMG_1363.JPG
The etch and the can are not compatible. It looks like I'll have to go through all my Dragon kits and spare parts to see if I can get something that works together. I have honestly never see this happen before. We all know about the wonky instructions, but never part probs. I do have a lot of fuel cans from many manufacturers to fill the rack. In the end, the roof rack came out looking like this……………………….
IMG_1364.JPG
I'm pretty happy with it and it should look good over the cab. That's all for today Fine Folks!!! See you on the other side and thanks for stopping in...
Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen,

great work as always. as to the etch on the fuel cans I use some 0.3mm evergreen sheet sandwiched between the two halves when dry it is simple to trim to size.
Scottie

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I've got these Bronco ones you can have if you want me to post them out to you

IMG_0050.JPG

Steve

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
wow it's getting super duper interesting... :smiling:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Allen,
Yes the Hanomag SS 100 is available from Wespe, not cheap and is a dreaded resin kit which I dislike somewhat passionately!! However, Wiking produces an SS 55 one of which I am bashing into an SS 100 as we speak. As soon as I figure out how to attach pics I will post a couple.
Rick:thumb2:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
AD,

great updates.. glad that I poked my big ol head in for a look see. Keep up the great work... PS I think that camo netting on top would be a great addition :thumb2::thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Rocketeers,

Normally I would be posting an update, but this past week has really put a damper on table time. Here in my corner of the Fatherland, we have had nothing but high temps and humidity. Every day over 30° C and 80% humidity. I live under the roof and even with a fan blowing, you can only wear the optivisor for 10 minutes before you start sweating to death on the forehead. (I'm old and blind)...The Mojovation is still soaring, but the damn heat is killing me. It's rained twice and you would think it would cool off a bit afterwards. No way!!! As soon as it stops the temps go back over 30° C and the humidity goes even higher. There doesn't appear to be an end in sight yet. I can only hope that it cools off soon………...

Paul - Thanks my friend! I still have about 30 jerry cans in the spares to use. It is funny that Dragon would mis-match pieces in a kit though. Thanks again for the reels!

Steve - Hi buddy, thanks so much for the offer. I do have quite a few in the stash to use though. I can't believe the Dragon etch was the wrong fret for the cans. I have never seen that happen with etch from them before. Hope you are well...

Greg - Easy killer, I only hope it gets better before it gets worse. Just wish it was a lot cooler so I can move forward Sir! It is so much fun...

Rick - Resin isn't so bad. I always thought it was until I used some from Blast Models for an SD 251/20 UHU build. It cleaned up easy, was super detailed and easy to paint. Just have to remember that the dust from it is very bad for the lungs and CA is a must. I saw your Hanomag project earlier and it looks great Sir!!!

Joe - Hey Thanks Joe. Hope all is well with you in Ohio. You guys having a heat wave there too??? I agree and it all depends on how lousy the the roof looks after painting. Take care Buddy!

I hope to be able to drive on shortly. The only solution appears to be buying an air conditioner right now...….Honestly, I hate air conditioning, plus they cost a small fortune here. Money better spent on models and beer for sure!!! Have a great week one and all...

Prost
Allen

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Are you sure your not English as we always moan when the weather is hot:smiling5:

You can share a room in my igloo if that helps?

Steve

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great work on the van body Allen:thumb2:.

Keep up the great work and hope you can stay cool!

Fernando

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Allen... l’m soooo curious to see this going.... :upside::smiling2::upside::smiling:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Rocketeers Around the World,

Sorry for the lack of updates of late. Steve, Fernando and Greg, thank you for the continuing support. It does mean so much to me. Lately, the Mojovation has taken a dip due to work and waiting for stuff to show up in the post. The weather has finally gotten cooler and the WM has started, but that doesn't stop the fun at the table. I have been tinkering here and there, but nothing really worth taking a pic of.

I am also about to pack up all my Azimut resin kits and send them back for a refund. It is now almost 6 months after my original order and it's not complete. I have been waiting for 2 months for two missing pieces from my LOX trailer kit. After every mail, I get the same response. Oh, we are sorry, we will send the parts right away to you. Yup and I am the Pope too!!! I'm really fed up with this company and I have never seen such poor customer service in my entire life. Sorry, Rant over!

Looks like I might have to drive to Azimut in Paris and beat folks about the head and shoulders there too!!!!!!!!!

Prost
Allen