V2 - Vengeance From Above

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Rockerteers and Children Of All Ages Too,
As yesterday was a holiday. I figured table (don't have a bench) time was in order. I wanted to continue with the pump trailer by (faking) building the pumps and motors. I spent hours going through all my spares boxes and such to find pieces to use...
It is hard to believe how many unbuilt kits I found in the boxes too. Scary!!!

What you see below, besides lots of pieces, tells the story. Top left is 3 pieces of resin that come with the Tankwagen from Azimut. The bottom piece on the sprue is the manual pump for refueling the V2. I need at least 2 - 3 for this project. Using a differential from a 38T, I sawed off the two wafer thin ends to use as the basis. The saw blade is almost through the second one in the pic. The yellow pieces are the air filter holder from the old Nitto Sd. Kfz. 251 from the 70's. The 2 pieces on the right will be modified as the back plate of the pump. Some solder or wire for the hose and other tidbits to complete it. Should work....
IMG_1312.JPG
Above is the resin gas engine (between the 2 cylinder heads) and the resin pump (on the sprue) that will be created by the surrounding parts. It will take a little time to do this and of course working everyday sure doesn't help the cause....Below is what we are trying to create. Manual pump on the ground and gas powered pump in the truck...
blitz_05[1].jpg
(For Discussion Purposes Only)
Thanks for looking in and I hope to get more table time soon!
Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I can't believe that another weekend is gone and it feels like I haven't accomplished a darn thing. I started scratching the manual pump. The manual pump was capable of pumping 16 gallons per minute to fuel the V2. Below is the start of the pump with the back plate glued on and the two mounting brackets made from the piece of plastic sitting over them...
IMG_1314.JPG
The back of the pump is shown below along with the stand it was mounted on..........
blitz_03.jpg
Here is my cheap best attempt at re-creating it. It still needs refinement to bring it up to speed. Below it is the side frame pieces that the pump will sit on......
IMG_1313.JPG
This is the end result of a full Sunday's work. After punching out 16 rivets @ 1.2 millimeter and gluing them, I realised they were too big. I should have gone with the 1 millimeter punch. The pump mount is made from 14 pieces itself and includes the catch tray for spills underneath. The pump pipe is made from solder and the little plastic piece on it is the junction for the pipe going down under the pump. This was the output pipe. The pipe end at the top was the input pipe from the fuel source. I have learned a bit about using solder for piping. Be careful as the solder is rather soft and prone to denting when using a fingernail to bend it...
IMG_1316.JPG
The backside of the pump is still rough and needs some love to clean it up and look the part. The pump is not glued to the base frame so I can sand it down to size. Damn those rivets are huge!!! Live and learn they say.............
IMG_1317.JPG
Not a whole lot to show for a day's work. Waiting for the glue to dry does put a damper on progress though. Thanks for looking and have a great week all!
Prost
Allen

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mate,

Quality doesn't happen quickly mate enjoying this build.

Scottie

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just seen this one Allen, what a great idea for the build, and a fantastic start, some fine scratch building and spares usage. Looking forward to more updates.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great project allen , its going to look mighty impressive when its all together. I love a bit of scratching too , top work on the pump assembly. Keep up the good work , cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Rocketeers,

Sorry for the late reply folks as I don't normally have table time during the week due to work. So........

Paul - Thanks for the vote of confidence my friend and we will have to chat about quality sometime. Hackery maybe....

Ian - Thanks too Sir! It is amazing what you accumulate over the years and then use it later...

Tony - A big Thank you also. I love scratching stuff, if I can or must. I looked again at the pump and was very dissatisfied with it. Please see below...

Ian M - Super Sir! I do appreciate that very much...

Well came to find out I had off yesterday due to a holiday here in the Fatherland (it was Father's day) so I sat my happy butt at the table and decided to redo the shabby pump as It didn't look right. And this is what I got. A big difference on the back, and....................
IMG_1318.JPG
This is where it stood as of last night. I think my iPad has lost it's mind as the pic has changed the color of the plastic to tan from gray. I think the one on the right looks a bit more like the pictures I posted above of the real thing..................
IMG_1322.JPG
I also made the connecter flanges for the piping. These were the 4 best out of many attempts. The small handle is for the direction control valve (bottom) and the stretched sprue is for the bolts holding the flanges together. The 2 disks are spacers for between the flanges and the middle drilled holes are to give a better gluing point to the solder wire with CA............

While waiting for the various glues to dry on the pump, I started cleaning up the resin road and front wheels from the up-grade kit for the Maultier. The Royal Models kit is cleanly molded and has a nice fret of etch to improve the Italeri kit. (see latest acquisitions post for more details) Again the iPad had a brain cramp and made the gray resin a tan color in the pic. Honestly, I think it's the old lamp on my table, not the iPad.........
IMG_1319.JPG
I have 2 of these sets and the other one (un-cleaned, left) is for my Opel Nebelwerfer I hope to finish one year! I hope to get more done this weekend. Thanks for looking in and enjoy your weekend!!!...
Prost
Allen

O

OneSmallStep1966

This is great, I look forward to seeing it come together.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Glad to see the mojo's still burning bright. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Allen
Who's been a busy boy! Looks like you are having a lot of fun mate. Keep up the quality work:thumb2:
Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1 .
I see what you meant ! That buddy is dedication , keep it up.

Dude 2

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Allen,
Seems I’m not the only one playing catch up. Happy to see your still rolling along nicely with the massive project!
Great additions mate:thumb2:
Si

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
As John says - this is true dedication. This sort of work will always take hours and hours but there is no other way to achieve the level of detail and accuracy.
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Norman, Paul S, Paul E, Stevie Wonder, Dude 2, Mr. Benson and Jim(bo) - Thank you all so much for the positive comments and for looking in. You guys are the best and keep me going!!! And going is the word of the day I'm afraid. If my Mojovation gets any higher, I'll end up with nose bleeds or something.........

Time to put all the tiny pieces together and finish the plumbing on this manual pump. I sorted some of the waste pieces and made some fittings and caps for the pipes. I cut a tiny piece of solder for the top pipe, then nipped and bent solder for the bottom pipe and CA'd the whole thing together........................
IMG_1325.JPG
You can also see how the stretched sprue was used to represent the flange bolts along with punched disks for the pipe caps. Now I was going to refine the back side of the pump, but in the end, you won't see it (ok, I was lazy)...............
IMG_1326.JPG
While letting the glue dry fully on the pump, I once again turned my attention to something I could see without going blind with the optivisor.
The Steyr 2000A was actually a 1500A that was re-classed as a 2 tonner in '44. This vehicle was the electric backbone for all the pretests, checks and for firing the V2. It had a 6KVA generator powered by a Zundapp 2 cylinder, horizontally opposed, 750 cc motorcycle engine. It had back up batteries if the generator failed, It also had a constant voltage transformer and a switch station for all the connections. It also carried 5 reels of cables and looks like this...........
steyr-2000-power[1].jpg
As you can see it is a later model of the Steyr that didn't have the fenders over the rear wheels. The externally/internally mounted spare tire was moved to the front bumper to make space for the 6KVA gen in the vehicle. The side semi round plate was vented to cool the motor. The black dot (almost in the middle) is the hole for the starting crank for the Zundapp. The bike looking wheel is for the cable reel hand cart mounted on the back of the Steyr. More later on.
We had to modify the the 1500A into a later model so the following needed to be done to the Tamiya kit................
IMG_1329.JPG
I had to saw off the spare tire holder from the inside so the gen motor will sit next to the cooling vents and the starter crank hole. Next up was losing the rear fenders to make this late model of the Steyr. The wheel wells will be filled with thin sheet styrene as we go along. Later, I will post a photo of just how busy this interior will be. Only the front two seats were used as the rest was filled with electrical stuff.
Finally, Being afraid to handle the pump with my fingers and the tweezers, I glued it to the stand.....................
IMG_1330.JPG
Now I can attempt to paint it without knocking all the plumbing off while handling it. That's all for today Rocketeers. Thanks for looking and have a fantastic evening!!! Till tomorrow......
Prost
Allen

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Fantastic work Allen. You're definitely on a roll.

First Name
Kevin
Very nice work, sir!
I agree with Jim, those flanges would give me headaches!

Happy to see you're still marching steadily forward.